Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM 800 Is Outta Here For Mods!

On it's way to Jeff Seal.

Just shipping the chassis, not the combo cab. Wraped it up in some towels, put heavy duty computer styrofoam ends on each end and smaller styrofoam supports underneath and on top. Packed the larger loose spaces with rolled up towels.....should be fine and beats spending $60 bucks to have UPS pack it....That was the quote I got from them. Shipping for a 33 lb box (one a vacumm came in) 2 days to Houston was only $14 insured thru Fed Ex....that's crazy cheap. UPS wanted $45 for 5 day ground.

I can't wait to hear what Jeff does to it. I am so stoked I can hardly stand it. I'm going to miss it over the next 4 weeks, but it will be worth the wait.

My Sound Clips

Re: JCM 800 Is Outta Here For Mods!

Which mods ya having done???
    Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
      Which mods ya having done???
      yeah....give us the skinny

Comment

Cool! It will be a tough 4 weeks bro.. hang in there.. take deep breaths
        My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Ok - The run down on what I've having done... basically, since I don't understand all of the details:

- Clean channel completely converted to Fender BF specs, including a push/pull pot for a "bright" setting.

- Gains stages re-configured to go from SRV dirty blues type lower gain, to some voicing throughout the sweep of the gain knob to include Plexi like tones, Jubilee type tones and original JCM 800 tones....and more gain than that. Jeff said he could voice the OD channel however I wanted....I just told him that I wanted it to remain Marshall. If I had wanted a Soldano, I'd buy one. I listed the 2 or 3 types of Marshall tones I liked the best, and he said that gave him a good idea of what I wanted.

- The buzzy characteristics common to the clipping of the gain channel will be gone. Much smoother and richer. Tighter lows and smoother highs.

- Useable gain settings with much lower master and channel volume levels.

- a push/pull for an OD boost

- 1/4 power switch for use at low volumes (push pull on MV)

- No more channel bleed.

- All wiring will be changed to PTP.

If any of you have listened to Voodoo amp modded sound clips or Splawn Mods or Dave Bray mods....that is the general direction the OD mods are going, with Jeff's own personal take and voicing/circut. I listened to a ton of clips from all the guys who do these type mods, and they all sound terrific...each one slightly different...but fantastic none the less.

I'll basically end up with a 2 channel amp with Fender cleans and several classic Marshall designed overdrive tones all rolled into one.

I'll keep you guys updated as to how it's going. Jeff Seal is a class act to deal with, and I have no doubts that this will end up being more amp than I will ever do justice to.
          Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-20-2004, 09:31 PM.
          My Sound Clips

Comment

That sounds like one beastly (and expensive) set of mods. I bet that amp will absolutely scream.

Comment

I see no reason why you shouldn't be happy with those mods. Sounds like exactly what I like, want, and need!!

Comment

Those mods sound awesome

I have the same amp myself, and have thought about having it modded too (diode clipping removed atleast). I'd definitely consider asking Jeff Seal to mod mine, as they sound like some awesome mods, but thats impossible with my living in the UK Oh well.........

Good luck with the amp Jeff, and make sure you do us some clips when its done

Craig

Comment

Jeff, if you don't mind me asking....what does a mod like that cost?
                  If I snatch up the one I posted a thread about, I might consider doing something like this down the road.....esp. the 1/4 power switch!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                  Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                  FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                  http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
                    Jeff, if you don't mind me asking....what does a mod like that cost?
                    If I snatch up the one I posted a thread about, I might consider doing something like this down the road.....esp. the 1/4 power switch!
                    ^^^I was wondering that myself. ^^^

Jeff, those mods sound great. It's obvious you put an incredible amout of thought into what you want. I think it's gonna be a long four weeks for the rest of us too, waiting on the results. Lemme know when you get it back, I'd love to drive over and give her a spin Should only take about 2 days if I drive straight through.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

yea, whats the price tag on those mods looking like?
                      Deadbolt

Comment

wow, so thats means your jcm 800 is gonna ahve 2 channels now or more? wow i personally am not big into modding amps, mainly because know little about amps. But i know what i like and what i hear sounds good.
                        Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

To answer some of your questions to the best of my ability.

Yes, the amp will have 2 channels...although it had 2 to begin with. It's a JCM800 2205 circut, which is the 2 channel 50 watt version. After the mod it will still have a clean and dirty channel, + a push/pull knob for the lead boost....so kind of like having 3.

I have thought for a long time about how I wanted the amp to sound, and what characteristics it should have, but the credit needs to go to Jeff Seal....I gave him some basics about what I wanted, some of the guitar tones and bands who's sound I liked, and he filled in the details and told me exactly what I could and could not have. It just turns out the stuff I want is the stuff I can have and that he can do!

As for the price...I cannot comment. Jeff has asked that the price be kept confidential, not because of the actual cost or that he is unwilling to discuss his prices, but because mods are so personal in nature and each set of circumstances are different, thus a cost differential. I can urge each of you to contact Jeff if you want to have mods done.....he is extrememly reasonable on the cost and will really work hard to make sure he can do EXACTLY what you want at a price that works for you.

I can tell you that I did a lot of research on mods and costs, and some of the bigger names like Trace at Vodoo, Dave Bray and others all advertise mods starting at around $350....many of the "standard" mods the Voodoo does are listed at $395 on their website if memory serves. The more you want....the more it costs. After the cost of the amp on eBay (which I bought almost a year ago) and the price of the mods I should have an amp that rivals higher end amps like Soldano, Matchless....ect. I will not have nearly that invested in my amp.

I obviously want the most I can get for my money, along with dealing with a person or business that cares about my needs as a customer. Jeff has done that in spades so far, and I have no reason to doubt that wouldn't do the same for anyone who contacted him.

With as much money as we spend on pickups, locking tuners, pedals and other such accessories....it's well worth the $$ to spend it on your amp instead. For the price of a couple of boutique OD pedals you can have your amp modded to do most of the things you're trying to accomplish with your boutique pedals.

I posted in another thread that Jeff Seal, Trace at Voodoo and Scott Splawn were the best of the bunch as far as the people I contacted about amp mods. Please give Jeff Seal a call if you are looking to have your amp modded.

It's going to be a long 4 weeks, but it will be well worth the wait I'm sure. I'll keep you all posted as it goes along.
                          My Sound Clips

Comment

What's his web address?
                            2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                            1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

^^or phone #

Comment

Working...