what tubes do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what tubes do I need?

my gramps came down (the one that gave me the ES-125) and gave me his old mic and Gibson GA-30 amp. Well, all I know is the tube suck. So what would I need to get to make it sound nice and warm, but overdrive at a "loud" bedroom level? Im hoping to use this as a "studio" amp in my buddy's living room studio.
    Last edited by beandip; 04-20-2004, 09:25 PM.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Re: what tubes do I need?

Well, tell us what tubes are in the amp. If you don't know, look at whats in there and write down the codes. We'll help suggest what current tubes work well for what types.

Since you got the amp for free, I assume, you need to get some high quality NOS tubes. No doubt. Make the most of it.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

this is why I play a peavey transtube. lol. the big ones say RCA electron tube 6-04 and in a little stop sign design say 6v6 gt...and the little ones which seem to be made of metal say RCA electron tube 1-26 but also in a little stop sign shape it says 6sc7. Im so clueless.
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

What old mic is it? Condenser or dynamic? Brand? Yeah, I agree with Scott - since
        it's free, spend a few buck on nice tubes. www.revolutionguitar.com
        will hook you up with the best for the cheapest. If you hear any pops, crackles,
        or abnormal hiss, it's likely that some of the filter caps need to be replaced.
        Those old amps are so simple, you could probably locate the caps on the board, write down where they went, take them to a good electronics store, and come back and solder in the new ones. That's all you need to do to restore it to the same tone, or better, than it was when it was new. If you wanted to go further, a new Jensen speaker would make a world of difference.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I just did some reasearch and it says that the amp has 2-6v6, 1-5y3, 16sc7, 2-6sk7...all octal. whatever the crap that means.

Comment

there are alot of pops and a good about of hum. Im really nervous about working on amps, they bite back, guitars dont. lol. maybe I'll send it to one of you good fellas and let you figure it out. the mic, youve got me there too. looks like something you would play harmonica through, with a 20 foot cord, built in stand, and a 1/4 inch jack on the end. it says "Turner Dynamic Microphones. model no. 33D." now, if ya wanna talk guitars, thats a different story. :P

Comment

Just take it to a good amp tech you trust. Let him help you. But, for hte 6V6 power tubes, I hgihly recommend the Brimar's. www.kcanostubes.com

On the 5Y3 rectifier, a good JAN NOS one is pretty cheap, check the kca site listed above.

Also, you can probably find the other numbers there as well.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I like the new JJ 6V6's that Bob at Eurotube recently installed in my Fender DRRI. They gave my amp more warmth and increased the output.
                JJ just started making 6V6 style tubes not too long ago, and they are well worth looking into. Bob also carries several NOS tubes such as Brimar's as well.
                You may wish to contact Bob before you decide what type you want to buy, and for a second opinion.

Comment

you guys might as well be talkin spanish. I dont no nothin about tube amps. I just want a really good clean bluesy sound, but to get some grit to it when I turn it up and push it hard. any ideas?

Comment

*bump*

Comment

if the amp works as is dont worry about replacing thoes expensive pre-amp octal tubes..... just look for a set of 6v6's (power tubes) you like there is some good choice and info at this page....

The Best Vacuum Tubes: Power tubes and preamp tubes matched for any guitar amp or stereo tube amplifier. Not sure which tube you need? Let us help you.
                      i own stuff

Comment

man, I dont know what that means. big ones, little ones? I know the big ones glow orange real quick, and one gets really hot really fast, but the rest dont. The amp is unplayable since you cant hear yourself over all the hiss, buzz, pops and static.

Comment

I would take it in to a good amp tech for a cap job before I plugged in again. I'd also have him put a 3 prong cord on it if it doesn't already have one. If the amp hasn't been used in a long time you can just about bet it's overdue. Let the tech retube it while he has it. You'll have a great little amp for what you'll have in it

Comment

the only guy around is a total jackass, I used to work for him, and for an amp repair there is a $50 bench fee, plus parts and labor. I quit after he found out I would charge a minimum of 25 bucks just to change somebody's strings. I refuse to take it to him.

Comment

At least take a look at your caps and check to see if any are swelled. If a cap blows you could ruin your amp.

Comment

Working...
                              X