banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson Soloist SL2H. Some advice please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Soloist SL2H. Some advice please...

Hi.
    I was thinking I could build myself a warmoth soloist with 3 humbuckers and 24 frets, but i'm coming to the conclusion that that's impossible. I wanted it to have a reverse KWS (hockey stick) headstock, with pau ferro board, binding, steel frets, etc... But found out they don't come in 24 frets...

Then I found this guitar - The Jackson Soloist SL2H

Crafted with the demands of the discernible player in mind, Jackson guitars give you the shapes, finishes and tones you love. From the venerable Rhoads, Soloist, Warrior and more, shop Jackson for the highest performance.

It comes with
    Seymour Duncan® JB™ TB4 Humbucker bridge
    and
    Seymour Duncan® ‘59™ SH1N Humbucker neck
    (are these the same as the JB and '59 we are used to?)

This guitar also has no heel (because it's neck through). So high fret access is flawless, and sustain is great. Also a good color selection.

Has anyone had any experience or heard anything about this particular USA model?

How much do these approximately go for? 1600+? (its not on MF or music123...)

I'm looking to get one towards the end of the year.
    my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
    A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

wait till zerb or someone like that can post about it......

sorry i cant help.
    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

TB4 is a trembucker.
      It is a wider pup I believe.

I have an SH-1 '59 in the neck and an SH-4 JB in the bridge.
      They are both the standard size.

It is on musicians friend.com

Need to find something? Let the Musician's Friend site map guide you to the products you're looking for.

1669 and up depending on colour scheme.

Grandor
      Last edited by Grandor; 03-16-2004, 02:29 PM.

Comment

the tb4 is f-spaced i believe.
        esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
        fender mim standard strat
        peavey classic 30
        johnson j-station
        original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
        dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
        yamaha f-310p acoustic
        taylor 410 acoustic
        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Oh okay cool!
          But essentially same pickup, its just the spacing for the floyd system ... Thanks

Comment

I'm seriously considering getting a mahogany sl2h here in the not-to-distant future. I need a guitar with a floyd, 24 frets, 2 buckers, and killer looks. This guitar seems to foot the bill.

Luke
            “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

The SL-2 is probably my favorite Jackson model. Even though it is a neck-thru,there should be a little bit of a heel.But not as bad as a bolt on. CTS pot's and a Switchcraft jack, Orginal Floyd Rose (believe me, there is a difference). It's a great axe, big difference between the US models and the imports. IMO, the neck feels really good. Eastonguitars.com has sweet prices, and the owner use to work for Jackson.

If you want Mahogany, you'll have to order it thru the custom shop, which it will cost extra.

You can find the Japanese Soloist ('90-96, binding on neck, and real MOP inlays) on Ebay for $300-400. Put a OFR and some Duncan's, and it will be as good as a US model.

Comment

Did somebody whisper Jackson?

Hmmm, where to start...

I personally play USA Soloists and Dinkys almost exclusively (A fes Gibsons to round it out), and of the ones I don´t own the SL-2H is probably next on the "Gimme Gimme" List after a San Dimas Rhoads.

Any USA Jackson you buy new or in good condition will be of the highest quality available, the workmanship is second to none. The Custom Shop is for people that can´t find something they like, the quality is the same (Same hands, same machines, same attention to detail )

What I like about these specifically (played one or two ):

+2 Humbuckers, no middle SC to get in the way on stage.
                +Superfast neck, but a bit thicker than the dinkys, more comfy over long periods IMO
                +Neck thru body - Fattens the tone (Some say it also increases sustain, but I to this day believe otherwise), and makes upper fret access a dream (a problem most 24 fret bolt ons have)
                + Original Floyd Rose - Second best bridge ever (after the Kahler PRO 2300), impossible to knock out of tune without breaking a string or causing physical damage

Gripes: I wish for a Megaswitch and coil splitting instead of N-N+B-B selections, a second tone Knob would be nice. But other than that....

What you´ll also want to take a look at are 86-89 Charvel Model 5s or 650s or Jackson Soloists / early ´90s Soloist Pro, Soloist XL and Soloist Custom (professional or Charvel on the headtock denotes Japanese, almost the same quality but cheaper) / and the mid 90´s SL-2, if you´re going used.

And No, I´m not selling any of mine :6:
                Last edited by Zerberus; 03-17-2004, 11:21 AM.
                Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Thanks a lot Zerb man !!!

I think towards the end of the year I will invest in a new SL2H with my choice of finish. (Essentially same cost as a new les paul classic)

And it will be my baby. I think i'll keep it completely stock too. (Maybe will add parallel/series/split to each humbucker with mini switches) + maybe replace the tone knob with a 500/500 concentric to have separate tones for each PU.

Everything about this guitar really appeals to me starting with the JB + 59...

We'll see how it goes. Ohhh man. i'll post some 1600 by 1200 photos here and kill the forum !!! lol !!!
                  Last edited by Frantic_Rock; 03-17-2004, 11:31 PM.

Comment

I own a Sl2h and trust me , you will love it if you decide to get one.............I just got mine about a month ago and i have one complaint, its that i dont have enough time to play it! haha
                    The guitar itself is the best playing guitar i have ever played and the craftmanship of a USA Jackson is second to none! They are grade A pieces. Trust me, you wont be dissapointed! Email me if you have any questions: [email protected]
                    it might take a few days for me to reply though, i am an extremely busy person and i dont get to check my mail everyday! I hope i can help you!

Comment

You cannot go wrong with a USA Jackson!

Period!

Comment

Working...
                      X