• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is it about bolt-ons?

Sustain is not music.

Construction is not music.

Guitar is not music.

Music is what you play through an instrument.

I don't care too much about construction. Why would I?

As long as I can play music and it sounds good, I am good.
    "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

It's been my experience that bolt-ons have a tighter, more focused sound, with a little more brightness. A well-constructed bolt-on can sustain as long as any player needs it to. Set necks seem to have a warmer tone, with less "snap," for lack of a better word. I really like the Hamer set necks, they use a dovetail joint that is 40% bigger than the tenon style joint Gibson uses. The added contact area between the neck and body really contributes to the acoustic sound and sustain. Because they do everything by hand, they make the joint slightly bigger than the neck pocket, and then shape the neck joint by hand to get the tightest fit possible. I think the whole ease of neck replacement argument is overblown though, a quality bolt-on that is properly cared for by the owner should never need to be replaced.

Ryan
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I think you guys are totally right. I guess the only thing I might add is since Joe Satriani and Steve Vai both use bolt-ons, there's got to be something to them...

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
          think the whole ease of neck replacement argument is overblown though, a quality bolt-on that is properly cared for by the owner should never need to be replaced.
          Agreed. I have never needed to replace a neck. I don't even personally KNOW anyone who has......
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
          buggjuice.net
          MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Mac-P
            Agreed. I have never needed to replace a neck. I don't even personally KNOW anyone who has......
            too true - I've heard that people who do sometimes run into problems when necks from one manufacturer are not entirely compatable with another manufacturer's body - even though they're supposed to be replacement strat/tele/etc necks... I've heard the best thing you can do most times is to get the neck from the same place you got the body...

Comment

SRV's #1 had a replacement neck ( neck and body were not same year ). So did Clapton's Blackie ( it was constructed from different guitars ). And Hendrix...well, he used to twist the necks up so bad, they were always looking for new one's.
              Last edited by 59paul; 04-22-2004, 02:47 PM.
              Only The Strong Survive

Comment

My Kramer is very comfortable, has a good amound of sustain, and im able to get good sounds out of it. I've played both set necks and neck throughs aswell and cannot complain with either as far as sound or feel. Because of this i wont let the type of neck joint be too much of a factor in choosing a guitar.

Comment

I wonder how much of the snappiness vs. woodiness is all down to the neck wood. That is, almost all bolt-ons are maple, and almost all set-necks are mahogany. My bolt-on Warmoth VIP/PRS clone with a mahogany is far woodier than my other Warmoth guitars that use a maple neck.
                  This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by MattPete
                    I wonder how much of the snappiness vs. woodiness is all down to the neck wood. That is, almost all bolt-ons are maple, and almost all set-necks are mahogany. My bolt-on Warmoth VIP/PRS clone with a mahogany is far woodier than my other Warmoth guitars that use a maple neck.
                    Doesn't Zakk Wylde prefer maple necks on his Les Pauls for the extra snap and bite?
                    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
                      SRV's #1 had a replacement neck ( neck and body were not same year ). So did Clapton's Blackie ( it was constructed from different guitars ). And Hendrix...well, he used to twist the necks up so bad, they were always looking for new one's.
                      Just so you know, it is not uncommon to open up stock pre-CBS fenders and find the neck and body stamps from different years. They used to match up bodies and necks from whatever pile was lying around. SRV's neck is not a replacement, unless you're talking about the one he fitted after a lighting rig fell on #1 not long before his death.

Onto the subject:

I own bolt and glued guitars, but there are too many differing characteristics on the guitars to give you a picture of what the various neck joins do. I will say this: I don't like most neck-thru guitars. Basically because they generally use a maple neck section, and the maple-to other woods balance becomes a bit skewed towards the maple end of things. Sure, you get sustain, but your tone will be a bit bright and hard sounding.
                      Originally posted by Jolly
                      ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Yep. I read where Stevie said #1 just wasn't the same after that, which is understandable. He liked those Big necks. Just goes to show that even the most coveted of Guitars can have an unfortunate mishap. But nevertheless, they un-bolted the neck and put on a Replacement. Oh Yeah, Just so You know, ........I knew.
                        Last edited by 59paul; 04-22-2004, 05:14 PM.
                        Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Working...
                        X