Anderson Guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderson Guitars?

Hey guys, have any of you played a Tom Anderson guitar? They seem like they'd be great guitars, but I can't seem to comprehend how they cost as much as or more than a PRS, when some of them are very basic (i.e. alder bdoy, bolt-on maple or rosewood neck, etc.) Does the Buzz Fieten tunign system jack up the price alot? Are their guitars just unbelievably amazing? Or are they just another greedy company?

c'mon...
    anybody???

Comment

Yes, they have Tom Andersons here in NYC.

They're amazing guitars! Personally, I prefer the feel of the Wayne better, b/c it's the classic Charvel neck from the 70's, but the Andersons are similar: American, made-to-order.

My current guitar mentor (Mike Campese)has several. Check 'em out at www.mikecampese.com.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I like Tom Anderson guitars, but have a hard time justifying their pricing. It's true you get what you pay for, but I think they're used prices are closer to what their retail prices should be.

I never liked the look of their pickups or mini switches, which I could never figure out! I'd get a Suhr Classic H-S-S first.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
          I like Tom Anderson guitars, but have a hard time justifying their pricing. It's true you get what you pay for, but I think they're used prices are closer to what their retail prices should be.

I never liked the look of their pickups or mini switches, which I could never figure out! I'd get a Suhr Classic H-S-S first.
          I LOVE the Suhr guitars! They totally rock! I'm a big fan of crazy graphics, tho (check out my signature).
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

i saw an anderson in nyc once at ruby's. its ncie. no way i played it, but it looked nice. lots of money though.

i looove the looks of surh guitars...
            esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
            fender mim standard strat
            peavey classic 30
            johnson j-station
            original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
            dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
            yamaha f-310p acoustic
            taylor 410 acoustic
            "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

I played a Cobra briefly

Really nice guitar, but it is hard to understand some of the prices, esp. when there are other custom luthiers/companies doing very similar for less money.

I guess that's branding.

I might be wrong - been a little while since I looked - but Tyler are pretty exorbitantly expensive too aren't they?

Comment

I think that the thing for me about them is that they really aren't unique. You know a PRS a Les Paul, a Strat. there is no doubting that these are unique guitars. Andersons look like expensive versions of 80's strats and teles to me. they play great, and I'm sure that to some they are worth it, but I would rather have a real fender or whatever than blow 3000 for a copy (albeit a better guitar no doubt, but still a copy). If they were cheaper or almost the same as a real fender but higher quality, then we'd be talkin'
                Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny R
                  I played a Cobra briefly

Really nice guitar, but it is hard to understand some of the prices, esp. when there are other custom luthiers/companies doing very similar for less money.

I guess that's branding.

I might be wrong - been a little while since I looked - but Tyler are pretty exorbitantly expensive too aren't they?
                  Jonny,

Did you happen to play that Cobra in New Zealand? -if so, where?

-I'm under the impression there are no Andersons or Suhrs down here. Richard Williamson was looking at bringing them in after Mainline Music lost fender dealership, but nothing came of that.
                  Originally posted by Jolly
                  ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

i've played a few, and they're great guitars, but the price tag is way too much. this is one of those situatiosn where i agree with what ed roman has to say

Comment

I have the good fortune of living in the home town of Tom Anderson Guitar Works, Newbury Park California.
                      I have had a friend who worked in the finish department there, I have played a few of their models. Their names elude me now, but from what I recall, they did both play and sound wonderful.
                      As far as the price is concerned, I have a hard time paying that much money for any solid bodied instrument. I realize I am nieve, and I don't mean or want to offend any Luthiers here or anywhere (Shameless Disclaimer) but I don't see how the cost of these instruments is justified.

It's kind of like when you found out President Clinton was paying about $400-600 for a haircut.... I just kept thinking... Looks like Supercuts to me.
                      That said, I always use this as an analogy to make myself feel better about not having enought money to blindly throw at my guitar fetish, or haircuts for that matter.

There will always be those who will buy a Lexus over a Toyota. Since they have almost 100% identical, powertrains whatever could be their reasoning.

I don't know if my post helped anybody with the exception of those needing help falling asleep...
                      Thanks for reading my rant.... FWIW
                      Loudriver
                      MIA Fender Deluxe Strat (Surfer Set/Custom Bridge)
                      MIJ Strat APS1/APS1/PATB-3
                      MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
                      69' SF Bassman/ 212 Avatar Cab.
                      Ibanez LR10 Semi Hollow Body
                      Martin D28

Comment

FYI,
                        I moved last year from Newbury Park to Simi Valley.
                        I hate my fat fingers sometimes.
                        MIA Fender Deluxe Strat (Surfer Set/Custom Bridge)
                        MIJ Strat APS1/APS1/PATB-3
                        MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
                        69' SF Bassman/ 212 Avatar Cab.
                        Ibanez LR10 Semi Hollow Body
                        Martin D28

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits
                          Jonny,

Did you happen to play that Cobra in New Zealand? -if so, where?

-I'm under the impression there are no Andersons or Suhrs down here. Richard Williamson was looking at bringing them in after Mainline Music lost fender dealership, but nothing came of that.

Hi Hot_Grits

A guy I used to play guitar with had the opening slot for Rebecca St James (Christian pop/rock artist) when she came to NZ.

One of her guitarist's was using a Cobra, and I hadn't seen Anderson guitars before, so I was chatting to him about what it was.

He offered to let me have a play on it, so I took up the offer.

He said it cost him $3,500, and he flew out to California from Nashville to pick it up prior to their tour.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. I think there's an Australian dealer.

Either way, the only way I could justify one is secondhand.
                            Originally posted by Jolly
                            ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Tom Anderson is in Southern Ca., but what's strange is that I don't see a lot of guys playing them locally.
                              I have to say I've loved everyone I've picked up, but I agree
                              with Kaknight....your money is much better spent on a
                              Custom Shop Fender or company that hasn't established itself
                              as a boutique company with no signature look.
                              Unless you consider those big ugly pickup polepieces a signature.
                              LOL
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X