X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss Rod Question???????????????

If you neck is going slightly Convex ie. head is tilting back

(head)___----___(body)

what way do you turn the Truss Rod to corect this, also could you explain in detail how its done and how little i have to turn it and so on...?
    is it better to have your strings on or off when doing it or does it even matter?

Thanks
    Last edited by y2stevo; 04-25-2004, 07:38 AM.
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Re: Truss Rod Question???????????????

losen it. in this case, you want to do it with the guitar in playing posititon and the strings tuned to pitch. I would losen it all the way then slowly adjust it into controlled relief.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

What?? I've never heard anyone reccomend turning it more than 1/2 turn at a time... very risky. Personally, I can't really turn it with the strings in position, so I just loosen then and get them out of the way. Loosen the rod*(turn it left) 1/2 turn, wait a day or so and repeat if it still needs more.
      Originally posted by The Minstrel
      Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

if his neck has a back-bow like the one shown, by loosening the truss rod quite a bit, the strings will pull the neck into relief, once done, he can then set the truss rod to hold the neck where he likes. I've done it many a time before. If I remember right its in Dan E.'s Guitar Player Repair Guide.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I never go more than a 1/4 turn a day. right or wrong I feel that's the safe way to
          do it?
          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
            I never go more than a 1/4 turn a day. right or wrong I feel that's the safe way to
            do it?
            This is the recommendation from the "How to make your Guitar Play Great" book. I would go with this. 1/8 turn per day. Lefty-loosey in your case.
            Originally posted by Scott_F
            On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Hehe recomendations are nice, but sometimes real life cannot wait for a whole day.
              But it is mostly stuff for the non faint of heart.......
              What is critical however is how the truss turns, and how tight it is, nothing fun in breaking the anchor.....it is expensive to rip off the whole fretboard, or getting the damn skunkstrip out.
              Never ever overtighten anything. The best rule for trussrods.

Comment

Ok so your saying i loosen it to relieve the back bow so i turn anti-clockwise 1/8th turn with strings on and if needs be turn another 1/8th turn tomorrow?
                Marshall JVM 410C
                Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

Depending on how bad it is, I say just crank it counterclockwise a bit (1/4 turn? 1 whole turn?) and let it settle for half a day. Whenever I put a new neck on a guitar, I string it up and adjust the trussrod until it's in the ballpark, checking every 1/2 to 1/4 turn along the way. Then I let it settle for a few days and check it to see how it's holding up. Since Stevo's loosening it, I wouldn't bother with that 1/4 turn per day stuff.
                  This machine kills fascists

Comment

Excellent...well for now i cant find any allen keys so i may have to do it tomorrow so...

Thanks Guys!
                    Marshall JVM 410C
                    Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

i would suggest 1/4 a turn every day, yup counterclockwise( anti clockwise) and be sure not to rush it because if you losen it too much you can seriously mess the neck up, and, as said, the string tension shoul dmake the neck relief just right. good luck

Comment

Working...
                      X