Dumb Gibson LP Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Gibson LP Question

I word to the wise for anyone changing pups for the first time on a LP. When you take the strings off, the bridge doesn't have anything holding it on anymore. Also, the adjusting screws for the bridge and stop bar tail-piece (or whatever it's called) are fairly loose. As a result the bridge screws go wherever they want and so does the tail piece, and if you don't somehow tape those things down, you're doing a re-setup like I did (and continue to do)

Here's the question....

The tailpiece height is adjustable. What determines the height of the tailpiece? Right now I have it set up so that the strings are not "pinched" as they come out of the guideholes and angle up towards the bridge, so it's fairly high.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Scott_F
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Re: Dumb Gibson LP Question

Originally posted by JammerMatt
    Here's the question....

The tailpiece height is adjustable. What determines the height of the tailpiece? Right now I have it set up so that the strings are not "pinched" as they come out of the guideholes and angle up towards the bridge, so it's fairly high.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    I'm not exactly understanding your question. I think you're asking how to raise and lower the action? If so, you use the thumb wheels.

Comment

Nvermind.....I think I know what you're askin now. There are no set guidelines for a particular height on the tailpiece. Pretty much everyone does it differently. I keeep all of mine screwed down all the way to the body. Others have theirs raised. There are no set guidelines. It's all personal preference.

Comment

Just use some scotch tape over the bridge.....that's what I do.

Comment

or change the strings one at a time
          Low wattage rocks!
          Bumbox Lead 1
          Orange Tiny Terror
          Vox 120VTH
          ----------------------
          Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
          Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

oh yeah!!!!!!
            Down at the edge, close by a river.
            Close to the edge, round by the corner.
            Close to the end, down by the corner.
            Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

buy tonepros and the peices won't come off! seriously though, optimal tailpeice height is supposed to be as low as possible as long as the strings don't touch any part of the bridge other than the saddle. If you set the tail too low, you will have the string connecting with the bridge behind the saddle (angle is too great). Many people actually run their strings backwards through their tailpeice and then over the top, so that they can have it screwed all the way down without having that string problem i was just mentioning.
              Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Originally posted by kaknight
                buy tonepros and the peices won't come off! seriously though, optimal tailpeice height is supposed to be as low as possible as long as the strings don't touch any part of the bridge other than the saddle. If you set the tail too low, you will have the string connecting with the bridge behind the saddle (angle is too great). Many people actually run their strings backwards through their tailpeice and then over the top, so that they can have it screwed all the way down without having that string problem i was just mentioning.
                Makes good sense. I hadn't thought about the "reverse wrap" concept.
                Originally posted by Scott_F
                On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Some like the wraparound and some don't. You'll have a slinkier action that way. Personally, I like it on my LPs. I like the TP screwed right down on the body. YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                  X