Had a quick go on a lonestar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a quick go on a lonestar...

Tried a Mesa Lonestar 1x12 last saturday. I was looking forward to trying the lonestar, as it has almost the perfect feature set for my needs. Seriously, it's like Randall was reading my mind.

First impressions, looking at the thing, were that the mid-blue/silver look wasn't that great, especially compared to my departed blue leather Blue Angel head. Still, looks aren't everything, and I took it to an isolation room. The trip there highlighted one thing: it weighs more than a Mark 1 combo. Comes with casters stock, which is good, cause it's a serious back-breaker.

The LoneStar I tried sounded very noisy. Not normal hum, but a dirty, cloudy white noise that was way above what you'd call 'operational hum', even on a badly maintained AC30. Still, that didn't stop me from getting a feel for the overall tone. The clean was very much in the blackface territory, with a different, slightly flatter midrange character. Using a PRS cu22, tones were warm and polite. A tele sounded crisp and clear, but lacking in much distinction.

So, is the clean channel good? -yes and no, in my opinion. It's a very nice sounding 6l6 amp, but to me there wasn't enough midrange character inherent in the amp to convince me that it would punch through, and particularly mate well with Strats and teles. Switching to the tweed power option gave the amp a bit more character, but I still think it's a bit weeny through the mids.

An analogy I'd offer would be comparing a recto to a marshall: A recto has a sucked mid that makes any guitar sound pleasant, even with searing overdrive, but stick one next to a decent marshall, and all you'll hear is the marshall punching through, with perhaps a hint of recto fizz in the background. In the same way, the lonestar sounds like it would suffer against any decent fender amp when fighting through a mix. I think if I plugged the lonestar next to my vibrolux, the vibrolux would carry the tone.

I only tried the overdrive channel briefly, but it sounded nice. Someone else will have to chip in here, as I was kind of put off about the cleans....

On the positive side, the tone controls were very nicely voiced. Any setting sounded good. The very cool 50/100 watt feature for both channels worked well. Reverb was on the back of the amp, like a mark one, which was a bit annoying.

Overall, it struck me on first impression that it would be a great amp for humbuckers, and as a different take on blackface. But I just have this nagging feeling it wouldn't cut through...
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Re: Had a quick go on a lonestar...

I test drove a 1x12 combo, similar results but with a ton of flab on the bottom end, I couldn't eq it out at gigging volumes - too bad.

Comment

The high wattage speakers mesa tend to use don't help. I'm sure it would sound better with my v30s...
      Originally posted by Jolly
      ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

You're experiencing what most people who know tone experience with Mesa's.
        They do a lot of things "almost good enough," but not perfectly. Everytime I sit down and play a Mesa amp, I think the tone's are good, but not great. I like the versatility that Mesa offers, it's just that the tone seems to be lacking on every channel. The cleans are still not as good as a Fender and the gain is still lacking harmonic complexity. One of these days, Mesa will nail it, but they haven't yet. Building a multi channel amp where every channel blows you away seems to be a very elusive thing to build. I came to the conclusion that it's either a A/B of a very good Fender and Marshall or a Bogner. Diezel, Soldano and Engl are the only competition.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

GJ, apparently you haven't heard my H&K Triamp Seriously. Soldano does a lot of great single channel stuff, but they don't have a multichannel wonder. Bogner obviously has the holy grail. Diezel makes one of the finest multi channel amps in the world, only second to Bogner. ENGL makes great mutli channel stuff (the SE looks sweet), but in the end I think I like the H&K better than the ENGL. Only one channel has all out gain so you have 5 other channels that will cover everything in between very well. The individual channels have character, which I noticed most Mesas, don't.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I tried the Triamp, and I loved it as well. The only gripe I have about it is that it seems to like leaner sounding axes more than fatter ones. It loved a fat strat that I tried it with, but I lost some detail and articulation in the high gain channels when playing my Lester with a PG set.

Maybe I just need to by the thing and spend time tweaking.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
            X