Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traynor YCV80Q vs. Peavey Classic 50/410

Alright...another 4x10 amp showdown!

I asked a little while ago about weather or purchasing a Fender Deville would a wise move and more than half of you recommended I check out a Peavey Classic 50 instead. I went and played the Deville and some of the other Hot Rod combos and wasn't that impressed, so the Peavey Classic 50 is in the top spot right now.

However, I recently listened to some soundclips of the Traynor YCV80Q over at musiciansfriend.com and was pretty blown away. The distortion channel seems to have enough punch and the clean sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. But soundclips...we all know that soundclips depend on what guitar, amp settings, and cables the website is using. Which of course, usually isn't the same guitar, amp settings, and cables I'm using. Definantly not as objective as one can get right?

Anyway, I've heard a few good things about Traynor (those Bassman clones you all were talking about) but what's the deal with the Traynor YCV80Q? Have any of you played through one?
    Good? Bad? Possibly ugly?
    Is is same/better/worse than the Peavey Classic 50?

Re: Traynor YCV80Q vs. Peavey Classic 50/410

The problem with the Traynors is that they are hard to find to try out. I recently bought the YCV80 2x12 and am very happy with it. It's pretty versatile. Clean is great, low gain is great and you can even get heavy rock/metal with the scoop button. Also a boost switch which gives you maxed out distortion.

For what it's worth, there are alot of reviews on harmony-central. And if you didn't know, you can read about the Traynor amps at yorkville.com
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSteve

For what it's worth, there are alot of reviews on harmony-central. And if you didn't know, you can read about the Traynor amps at yorkville.com
      I'm glad you like the YCV80!

I was looking more at user reviews specifically pertaining to this site. I trust the people at this site tone wise, I generally ignore most harmony-central reviews, and most companies sell their product rather than give you a good critique of their own gear.

Thank you for the help!

Comment

I have heard the Traynor 80 Watter, 2x12. It sounds really good. There is an expander button on the clean channel, which IMO, makes it too bright (although I was listening to it with a G&L Asat Classic), although I think a Humbucker might be OK through it. Both channels are nice. The clips on musiciansfriend don't do it justice. You have got the hear it in person, especially the OD channel; it smokes. This amp has more gain than the Peavey, and IMO, the Traynor is a better amp. The Overdrive is nice and complex. At around $720, this amp is a steal. Nice warranty too.

Comment

I was considering the Traynor YCV80Q a while back but i kinda forgot about it

Peavey Classic was something i considered too

The Peavey definitly is a great amp for the price, and ive heard a couple clips with stock setup and lots of good reviews. The Overdrive is limited some what so but its ok. GOod for classic rock and blues generallly. The amp really sounds pretty versatile tone wise. There are also separate inputs (normal, bright, etc) which is good for more tone versatality. I am pretty sure that if u put the right tubes in it u could tones anywhere from SRV-AC/DC easily. Price is good. I think with a good pedal or two u wouldn't have to worry about the gain issue

Try em both out. I haven't any experience with the Traynor so i cant help yea on that

good luck
          <Insert awesome equipment here>

Fender MIM Midnite Wine Satin Strat
          Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue Amp
          Boss BD-2 Blues Driver overdrive

and a couple guitar picks

Comment

Working...
          X