XXX owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XXX owners

Beings how you can easily swap 6l6 tubes for el34's, which do you have in there and why?
    Bridge pups: Full Shred-Custom-DD
    Neck pups: '59-Aph1-DD

I have the stock 6L6's in mine. I'd like to do a upgrade with better output tubes to see what happens. They don't seem as midrangey to me as EL34's. Both have their merits though.

Comment

i am looking into buying a triple xxx, tell me your thoughts on them, and any problems you have had with them. Thanks for your help.
      PRS Singlecuts
      Epiphone Sheraton II
      Vintage acoustics

Comment

I've got the 1x12 combo and I like it. This amp will do high gain stuff with no problem. I've heard others say that the cleans aren't real great. To me It's good enough. If you need pristine Fender-like cleans, get a Fender. When all is said and done, the Peavey is a pretty good value-for-the-dollar kind of amp. Nice features like the speaker damping switch, and binding posts for bias measurement, etc.

Comment

I would change over to EL34s, I've never understood why some people say that EL34s have too much midrange.
          Yes, they do have mids but they are more of an upper presence midrange. Which sounds great in high gain amps.
          I think EL34s sound way better in any high gain amp than 6L6s!
          I'm saving my cash for one of the new JSX Peavey heads!!
          They sound like they're going to be awesome!

Comment

i have stock cause i dont really know the advantages of gettin el34s. and im pretty happy with what mine sounds like. i know a lot about guitars but not much about how amps work
            Originally posted by Aceman
            It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

The thing about many of the amps that ship with 6L6's, but
              have a bias switch for changing to EL-34's is that the amp's
              EQ was tuned to the 6L6 sound. Sometimes, if you put
              EL-34's into a Mesa, Peavey, or other similar amp, the EL-34's
              don't sound quite right, since that amp's circuit was designed
              around a different tube. It never hurts to try it once, but on
              the amps with a fixed bias and selector switch, I think I'd take it to a tech to see if a bias pot could be installed internally.
              That way, if the fixed bias is a little cold sounding, you can tweak it to warm up the amp a little.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I currently have the stock 6L6 tubes in, I just pulled a nice set of low mileage EL34's from another amp and I am going to put them in shortly. I have heard they give the amp a little more Marshall like grind which would make sense. My amp has given me no problems at all it is really a fantastic amp.

I really like some of the things JS had Peavey do for the JSX model I'd like to check one out when they hit the street but unless the difference is huge I can't imagine I'll switch.
                My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage
                  I currently have the stock 6L6 tubes in, I just pulled a nice set of low mileage EL34's from another amp and I am going to put them in shortly.
                  I'd like to hear an A/B from you.

How do they compare?
                  Bridge pups: Full Shred-Custom-DD
                  Neck pups: '59-Aph1-DD

Comment

Sure no sweat bro. I should be taking the amp to get re-biased for them next week. I'll do some clips this weekend with the 6l6's and when it's done I'll do the same ones with the EL34's in and then I'll post it.
                    My Bands -
                    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                    X