Ibanez Edge Tremolo vs. Floyd Rose/FR Licensed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez Edge Tremolo vs. Floyd Rose/FR Licensed

What's the differance between the Ibanez Edge and the Floyd Rose?

I would think, conceptually, they'd both pretty much be the same thing: Floating Tremolo systems. Right? Or am I wrong?

Also, what are the advantages of a Floyd over the Edge and vice versa?

Oh, and I'm talking about the newer Ibanez Edge Tremolo (The II's I think) because I'm considering buying an RG with one installed.

Thanks for the time, help, look.

Re: Ibanez Edge Tremolo vs. Floyd Rose/FR Licensed

I think I've heard that the origanl flyods are made of better material and they have better sustain and tone. I've never owned one so this is just things i think i remember hearing people say.
    Guitars:
    Gibson ES-137 (490R/498T)
    Gibson Blueshawk (Blues P90/Hot P90
    Ibanez S470 (Jazz/Hot Stack/Custom 5)
    Squire Fat Strat (CR/Texas Custom Shop/JB)
    Yamaha Acoustic

Amp: Fender Blues DeVille

Comment

Are you talking about an original floyd rose or a licensed (or both)? The OFR is made of much better material than it's licensed cousins making it more durable and helping it hold the strings in tune better. I've never found anything that will handle the abuse an OFR will.

I'm not too familiar with the Edge Tremelo, but I think, conceptually, it is the same. They just use a slightly different means to accomplish it. Not a copy, but I'd put it in the same class.
      It's hard to be metal in girl pants.

My Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I had a lengthy discussion with the owner of my local guitar shop about this very same topic. Basically, in his 15 years experience in owning a shop, he feels that any Floyd Rose copy will basically do the same thing. They all stay in tune very well and are sturdy enough for normal applications. However, if you plan on doing crazy Steve Vai kind of stuff like holding the guitar by just the bar or bouncing the guitar up and down like a basketball with the bar, only an official Floyd is sturdy enough to handle that kind of abuse. With all the newer versions of licenced Floyds out there today, and all the improvements that they have made, most will find that a licenced one will do the trick just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by marty_the_westie
          I had a lengthy discussion with the owner of my local guitar shop about this very same topic. Basically, in his 15 years experience in owning a shop, he feels that any Floyd Rose copy will basically do the same thing. They all stay in tune very well and are sturdy enough for normal applications. However, if you plan on doing crazy Steve Vai kind of stuff like holding the guitar by just the bar or bouncing the guitar up and down like a basketball with the bar, only an official Floyd is sturdy enough to handle that kind of abuse. With all the newer versions of licenced Floyds out there today, and all the improvements that they have made, most will find that a licenced one will do the trick just fine.
          Umm.. Doesn't Steve Vai use the Ibanez tremolos?
          Ebay quote :"..Everything was glued together, and I have not had any problem with playability, my tech says it's gonna hold up good.."

Comment

The Edge, Lo-Pro Edge, and Edge Pro are excellent tremolos. I don't want to say better than an Original Floyd Rose, but I can't say they're worse either. Any Edge with a Roman numeral after it is going to be not as good as an OFR, neither will a TRS trem. The newer Edges (Edge Pro II, Edge III, etc.) are made out of a mystery metal and have been known for poor tuning stability.

Basically, I wouldn't buy any Ibanez unless it was made in Japan (or I suppose in the US, but those are rare). A Korean-made Ibanez would be great for a beginner, but don't you think you deserve better than that?

What guitar were you looking at and for how much?
            Last edited by ankalar; 06-23-2005, 01:45 PM.
            I get to go to a lot of overseas places, like Canada.
            -Britney Spears

Comment

No kidding. But he does use and Edge Pro, which is Ibanez's version of their top of the line locking trem. They only put it on their Jem's and JS models, which again means that only an official Floyd or a company's top of the line trem can handle real hard abuse. Ibanez, Jackson, Esp, all put quality trems on their highest end stuff, which is obviously better than their lower models. But, unless your really going crazy with your trem, a lower model should work fine.

Comment

An OFR and the Ibanez Edge / Lo Pro Edge are comparable...the quality is similar, the response is a bit different as well as the tone, I personally hate teh Ibanez arm but others love it.... Other than that, there´s no real reason to prefer either one or the other (except ears and hands, of course).

As Ankalar stated, the Newer Ibanez trems (Edge II, Lop pro edge II) suck donkey balls in comparison
                Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Check out this thread on Harmony Ccentral

Quite interesting info....
                  'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

There´s some misinformation in that one, though....

1. Both the OFR and THe Schaller are available with 32 or 42 mm blocks.

2. The Floyd Rose II was always the same as the Schaller, the Floyd Rose III was the single locking variant.

3. I disagree with this

On a factory Floyd, the saddles are set so that the bridge and fretboard radiuses match when the bridge is LEVEL... But what he has level in this pick are the CLAMPS, whose position will change as soon as you use the fine tuner.... The locked-down part in front is the important part, and the position of all of these is now off, how far dependson where the saddle intonates correctly... ANd have fun getting the guitar to play evenly across the fretboard... I´m not saying it doesn´t work, it obviously does for him and his setup / style, but I would NEVER let a guitar go back to a customer with the floyd sitting at that kind of angle
                    Last edited by Zerberus; 06-23-2005, 06:37 PM.
                    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Agreed with zerb... that angle is a no no with floyds. But Maybe, that guy just likes for people to get mad at his angled floyd and thats why he posts it there.
                      Speak through your fingers

Comment

ahahahah ****ING CRAP.
                        Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
                        Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
                        Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
                        Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
                        Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
                        Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
                        Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                        Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

Whats wrong with having the back of a floyd sitting a little lower than the front? It made my strings feel stiffer and the guitar played better, when I tried it. (And I see what you mean, the string isnt setting in the saddle, its sitting on the front on the string retainer. On mine the saddle sits high and I dont have that issue for some reason, the strings still stay very tight down against the saddle.)

I guess im not at that much of an angle tho anyway.

And guess what? I have a licensed floyd, and as long as the tempture never changes (and my metal pick dont get hungry for the stings) it'll stay in tune, weeks, months, as long as the strings are streched.

I've never used an OFR or an ibanez trem, but everyone says the OFR is better, so im guessing the ibanez edge trem is prolly better in actuality.
                          Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

The way I see it... if Vai and Satriani can use the Ibanez trems, and Tom Morello only uses them as opposed to Floyds, they must be good enough.
                            • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                            • G&L Tribute Comanche
                            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I just want the trem bar in my licenced Floyd to stop wobbling...even when it's screwed all the way in.
                              My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
                              X