Peavey Classic 30 Follow Up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Classic 30 Follow Up.

I had originaly posted about replacing my classic 30's speaker with a celestion vintage 30 (to try an take care of a muddy bottom end). I was told told to get ahold of the guy at eurotubes and tell him what I was looking for. He recomended a set of JJ tubes with some specific specs and recomended a few Weber speakers. As of now I am getting ready to order a full set of JJ tubes from eurotubes.com of course and a Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog. I'll let you know how everything turns out but It sounds like what I was looking for. Thanks Everybody!
    Kramer Classic III - Trans Amber

and more projects than you can shake a spray gun at.

Re: Peavey Classic 30 Follow Up.

Sounds cool Nathan. I too have a Classic 30 with JJ's and I would definatley be interested in hearing how it all turns out, especially if you install another speaker. Let us know once you've got it all together!

Comment

hmmm, interested in the blue dog. cant wait to here how you make out....
      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
      fender mim standard strat
      peavey classic 30
      johnson j-station
      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
      yamaha f-310p acoustic
      taylor 410 acoustic
      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

I put JJs in my Classic 30 and it is like a different amp. Im so amazed with it now, Im thinking if I could have only one amp, Id be happy. I really liked the amp before, now Im blown away by it.. A new speaker for more head room would make it perfect
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Just my personal advice, go with the ceramic blue dog. I've asked about it over at Weber and people said they actually prefer the tone of the ceramic a little more than the alnico. Either way, they said there isn't much of a difference and you'll save yourself a lot of money

Great speaker by the way!
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

How would a Peavey Classic 30 (stock) sound a bedroom level? I'm thinking of getting one but would be playing it primarily at home.
            GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
            KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Originally posted by Mkf411
              How would a Peavey Classic 30 (stock) sound a bedroom level? I'm thinking of getting one but would be playing it primarily at home.
              Like all tube amps they really dont come to life unless you turn them up a bit. But you could just keep it turned down a bit while at home and get a fairly decent sound. Try one out at a music store at the levels you're talking about to see how you'd like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mkf411
                i disagree with the above post, i never crank mine at home. at most at home, it goes to 3.75 for the gain channel and for the clean at 2. jamming it never goes over 6 for the gain channel or 4 for the clean (or it gets to loud).

it sound sick at these levals.

also, im loving mine stock now. im getting a great sound, one i have been after for a while....
                esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                fender mim standard strat
                peavey classic 30
                johnson j-station
                original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                yamaha f-310p acoustic
                taylor 410 acoustic
                "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
                  i disagree with the above post, i never crank mine at home. at most at home, it goes to 3.75 for the gain channel and for the clean at 2. jamming it never goes over 6 for the gain channel or 4 for the clean (or it gets to loud).

it sound sick at these levals.

also, im loving mine stock now. im getting a great sound, one i have been after for a while....
                  I agree...the gain channel lets you use it like a master volume so I can get the crunch at very low levels. At recent small club gigs, the clean channel at 4 is loud enough if using a mic through the PA. This is a great amp, but there are a lot of smaller amps with great tone for less money if only used at home.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                  Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                  Celestion speakers
                  Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                  Too many pedals....

Comment

For the Money the ceramic Blue Dog looks excelent but the description on the AlNiCo said it "compressed" at higher volumes, can somebody elaborate on this.
                    Kramer Classic III - Trans Amber

and more projects than you can shake a spray gun at.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike M.
                      Like all tube amps they really dont come to life unless you turn them up a bit. But you could just keep it turned down a bit while at home and get a fairly decent sound. Try one out at a music store at the levels you're talking about to see how you'd like it.
                      I'll go try one. For the money, it seems like something worth having. In the future I'm sure I'll be playing around town with friends. I'd like to try a real tube amp. I started with a solid state DOD Ice it amp. I could get one decent metal type sound out of it with alot of gain and low volume. Then I added a Digitech RP-50 digital effects processor to it and got a few more decent sounds. But finally I figured out that solid state sucks and so do digital effects processors. Now I have a Vox Valvtronix AD60 1x12. It has a tube pre-amp and pretty good modeling. It's good for bedroom levels. I think it works for me because I've never tried a real tube amp. But I'm jonesing for the real thing.
                      GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
                      KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Originally posted by NathanCahill
                        For the Money the ceramic Blue Dog looks excelent but the description on the AlNiCo said it "compressed" at higher volumes, can somebody elaborate on this.
                        basically they mean that there is a compression effect (like a compressor pedal) created by the alnico magnets. This means that when you barely pluck the guitar it sounds louder and when do arm spinning windmill chords they will sounds slightly quieter.

I have a fender twin with two weber speakers (ceramic blue dog, and ceramic silver bell), and they made a HUGE difference in tone!!! I highly recommend them! One thing, remember when you get them that they need hours and hours of break in time! Mine sounded like I was playing through a cardboard box for the first few days. Then one day I turned on the amp and something truly beautiful sounding came out.

Finally, I recommend Weber's because they are handmade in the US, and no other good speakers are these days. For less money than Celestions (now made in China), you get a speaker that is at least as good and hand made!
                        Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Working...
                        X