Results from my LP mods (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results from my LP mods (pics)

I have had my LP for 4 months and was very happy with it but I kept reading success stories about lightweight tail pieces and the RS electronics upgrade kit. I bought the tailpiece and the RS kit and took my axe down to my luthier to have him install both and do a professional set-up. I finally got it back last night and I couldnt be happier. I can't comment on each individual upgrade because I had them both done at the same time but the difference is amazing. Totally new guitar.

RS premium electronics upgrade:
    The electronics actually work now. When I adjust the volume controls I loose very little actual volume, the guitar just cleans up. It keeps getting cleaner until the sweep hits its limit and then I loose volume. The same goes for the tone controls. Messing with the tone I can get so many different sounds now. The most impressive difference is with the neck pup. With volume and tone use I can use it to play chords and riffs that are not boomy and bassy which makes this pup very useable in everyday playing. The overall tone became much more clearer and articulate. I can play chords and runs under heavey gain and still hear notes and the lines I was playing. Bad thing is I can hear all my mistakes even better now. For those intrested heres a link to the kit: http://www.rsguitarworks.net/catalog...products_id=31

I'm sure the tailpiece has a lot to do with the whats going on with the sound. When I went and picked up the axe I had to go back to work so I sat there in my office playing it unplugged. The unplugged sound coming from the axe was MUCH better. I couldnt believe it. Much more resonant with sustaining notes. The tailpiece looks original so you cant tell I have done anything to the guitar. Got the tailpiece from Lew..great guy to do business with.

These upgrades cost me $120 in parts and another $100 in luthier services. Seems like a lot but I don't think I could be much happier. So far I think it was well worth the money. Heres some pics....
    Low wattage rocks!
    Bumbox Lead 1
    Orange Tiny Terror
    Vox 120VTH
    ----------------------
    Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
    Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Re: Results from my LP mods (pics)

RS kit installed
    Low wattage rocks!
    Bumbox Lead 1
    Orange Tiny Terror
    Vox 120VTH
    ----------------------

Comment

lightweight tail piece
      Low wattage rocks!
      Bumbox Lead 1
      Orange Tiny Terror
      Vox 120VTH
      ----------------------

Comment

looks like a nice job. what is the tail piece made of?
        Cleveland Guitars

Comment

excellent man!

did you replace the poles for the tailpiece as well? how was the work? any finish cracks?
          Louis XIII!!!

Comment

Looks good Jay!

You don't have a schematic for their wiring harness by any chance, do you? I'm really curious after reading their marketing blurb.

Chip
            Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
            Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
            Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
            SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
            SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
            "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

What's the high gain mod shown on their site?

-Matt
              Originally posted by Scott_F
              On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Originally posted by mrfjones

They are made of aluminium.
                Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Originally posted by mrfjones
                  The tail piece is light weight aluminum. They come stock with pot metal if I am not mistaken.

Bob: Yes, they replaced the poles. Man am I glad you said something. I didnt even check to see if when they removed the poles if finish came with it. Check out the pic back to the luthier....

JammerMatt: As I understand it, it helps keep articulation with hot pups under hi-gain. More so than the others do.

J
                  Low wattage rocks!
                  Bumbox Lead 1
                  Orange Tiny Terror
                  Vox 120VTH
                  ----------------------

Comment

Chip, that schematic is their little secret....

J
                    Low wattage rocks!
                    Bumbox Lead 1
                    Orange Tiny Terror
                    Vox 120VTH
                    ----------------------

Comment

Originally posted by JfromHouston
                      Bob: Yes, they replaced the poles. Man am I glad you said something. I didnt even check to see if when they removed the poles if finish came with it. Check out the pic back to the luthier....
                      Man, sorry to hear it. That has to be one of my biggest beefs with a lot of luthiers/guitar techs....I mean,yeah, i guess sh!t happens...but when they don't have the curteousy to tell you or bring it to your attention, it just pisses me off.

But anyways...I hope that lighter bridge works out for ya...and definately a sweet axe to boot.
                      Louis XIII!!!

Comment

Looks cool!
                        Epiphone Les Paul Studio (59 neck and JB bridge)
                        Marshall Valvestate 8080 (80 watts)
                        Korg AX1500G multi-fx
                        RAT
                        Boss PH-1r
                        Ibanez cf-7
                        Ibanwz ts-7
                        Danelectro tremolo
                        Vintage RAT - needs a fix!

Not much else - it does the job

Dooogz is taking a break from SD - ill be back soon crew!

Comment

J,

Did you use the High Pass circuit? I keep hearing conflicting stories about how this wiring schematic works. There are only so many ways to wire up pots. My guess is that the high pass circuit is what does the trick.

LM
                          Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_M.
                            J,

Did you use the High Pass circuit? I keep hearing conflicting stories about how this wiring schematic works. There are only so many ways to wire up pots. My guess is that the high pass circuit is what does the trick.

LM

I told my luthier to wire up everything in the bag per the schematic and he did just that. I'm not to up on my electrical stuff so I dont know whats what but there is a whole bunch of stuff soldered in the cavity. So yes, I believe it is in there.

J
                            Low wattage rocks!
                            Bumbox Lead 1
                            Orange Tiny Terror
                            Vox 120VTH
                            ----------------------

Comment

I'm glad to see they didn't have to remove the plate in the cavity. I'll check into doing this with a couple of my Pauls. It's hard to tell from the picks, but does the aluminum tailpiece look any duller than the shiny chrome? I've thought of buying one of these, but I don't want the saddle piece to look a lot shinier than the new aluminum tail.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X