Splawn Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splawn Mods

Has anyone dealt with these guys or with Scott? I've sent a few e-mails ref mods....he writes back very quickly & politely, but it's like pulling teeth. He offers up no information at all.

I'm simply asking what type of mods do they do or could be done to my recently acquired Marshall JCM 800 2204mkII......I'm not looking for schematics or for him to divulge any secrets!

So, I was wonderring if anyone here has dealt with them.....

Thanks!!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Re: Splawn Mods

Puck,

Hey bud. Scott is a friend of mine and I have done a lot business with him. I will personally vouch for him, which I don't do for many people. He is an honest business man and very family oriented.

Overall, I think that most modders / dealers are very hesitant to divulge any information over the net - your best bet is to call him on the phone. Tell him that I sent you. My name is Lee Moore.

Good luck!

Best,
    Lee Moore
    Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

I don't know him personally, but he has a great reputation. People that have dealt with him, really seem to like him. If you belong to the HC board, there are a few guys who have Splawn modded Marshalls, they would be able to tell you what tone differences there are and what he offers. Tell him what tones you're looking for and he will tell you if he can achieve it or not. Other Marshall modders to check out are Voodoo and Mark Cameron. Both also have excellent reputations.

Comment

I was considering a Splawn mod at one time, and, IIRC, his mods are very extensive. I believe he replaces the entire board with a new one.

Comment

Scott was one of only 2 pro amp modders that even responded to me when I e-mailed them. He was very courteous....brief, but courteous. He did tell me that the mod for my 2205 circuit would involve removing the old board and replacing the insides. At first I was reluctant to consider this, but upon further thought and investigation found that this is a great option.

1. No damage to the "original" circut. the leads are simply unsoldered and removed.

2. You end up with a point to point hand wired amp more along the lines of some of the higher end amps.

3. If you want to restore the original circuit for "vintage" value, or resale, it takes a little soldering and wallah...old original stuff back in.

It just worked out for me that Jeff Seal could do what I wanted at a price that worked for me. I would not hesitate to do business with Scott Splawn or Trace at Voodoo. These guys are the best in the business at what they do. Each one offers a little different flavor and end result....it all depends on what you want. Like choosing between premium ice cream....do you want Ben & Jerry's, Haggen Dazs or Bryers. They're all good, just different flavors.
          My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
            Scott was one of only 2 pro amp modders that even responded to me when I e-mailed them. He was very courteous....brief, but courteous. He did tell me that the mod for my 2205 circuit would involve removing the old board and replacing the insides. At first I was reluctant to consider this, but upon further thought and investigation found that this is a great option.

1. No damage to the "original" circut. the leads are simply unsoldered and removed.

2. You end up with a point to point hand wired amp more along the lines of some of the higher end amps.

3. If you want to restore the original circuit for "vintage" value, or resale, it takes a little soldering and wallah...old original stuff back in.

It just worked out for me that Jeff Seal could do what I wanted at a price that worked for me. I would not hesitate to do business with Scott Splawn or Trace at Voodoo. These guys are the best in the business at what they do. Each one offers a little different flavor and end result....it all depends on what you want. Like choosing between premium ice cream....do you want Ben & Jerry's, Haggen Dazs or Bryers. They're all good, just different flavors.
            For the record, I'm a Ben & Jerry's Pistachio kinda guy!!!

Thanks guys...I had no doubt Scott was cool & very professional. I just thought it was odd that he was so "brief", like Jeff_H put it...I would've thought he'd like to sell the product a little more. But I guess if you're (I'M) making the inquiry, the sale has already been made!

Lee, I appreciate the nod....I was gonna call & speak to him & I'll definitely tell him you sent me his way!

I'm not sure this is something I'm gonna do right now. I just took the amp in for a cap job & a check-up just to make sure everything is fresh. When I get it back, I'll run it thru the mill & see what I like & don't like then take it from there.

Thanks again guys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
              ...I had no doubt Scott was cool & very professional. I just thought it was odd that he was so "brief", like Jeff_H put it...I would've thought he'd like to sell the product a little more.
              The reason Scott is brief in his emails is because he is a one finger hunt and peck typer.
              <----

Comment

Originally posted by OneL
                The reason Scott is brief in his emails is because he is a one finger hunt and peck typer.
                Is this you Scott???

Been there & know the feeling oh so well!!!

I basically type for a living & although I'm not gonna win any awards, I'm a pretty fast "6 finger" typist (both index & middle fingers/both thumbs).

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
                  Is this you Scott???
                  No, I'm the other guy at the top of the page.

<----

Comment

Well hello there Mr. Jones & WELCOME to the Forum!!!! That's quite the shop you guys have there.

Looks like our friend Jeff_H is gonna have a nice place to visit when he moves to N. Carolina!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! I've been a lurker around here for a quite a while. This place has definately been responsible for a decrease in my productivity around the shop.
                      <----

Comment

Rofl...
                        Originally posted by jeremy
                        God hates bad guitar tone
                        GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                        AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                        EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                        Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Originally posted by OneL
                          Thanks for the welcome! I've been a lurker around here for a quite a while. This place has definately been responsible for a decrease in my productivity around the shop.

Now that REALLY makes me wanna send you guys my amp!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X