How can I record an mp3? Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I record an mp3? Help

I want to record an mp3, I have a 6 channel tape tascam (1994) , my computer and I want to record the sound going out my amp, may be with a mic or directly of the power amp out.
    What can I do?
    What do I need?, nothing expensive.

Re: How can I record an mp3? Help

Does your tape deck have a line out? Does your sound card have a line in?

I have done this with a cassette deck before.

Tape Deck Out->Sound Card In

You can probably use Windows recorder if you don't have other recording software on your computer.

Once you record a wav file, you can convert it to an mp3 file, using music match, or similar. Music Match is free.
    music match
    My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

O.k. Iīm gonna try that way.
      Thank you.

Comment

also you can do some interesting experiments with guitar sound processing! say, you can record clean guitar sound directly to your PC without amp, mic etc, then you will have wav file, you can process it using, say, this (or other) fx software and even you can playback wav with clean guitar sound, pass it through your amp and record it again into wav file! may be several time through different amps, boxes and software - get your very own realy signature unique sound!
        Musichmatch price is $20, it's not free. But you can use http://google.com with search string like this "free mp3 encoder" to find realy free mp3 encoders. I know lame encoder, it's realy free, and mpeg123 free too. Also Windows has build in mp3 encoder, use Audacity free wav editor to save it as wav (packed internal mp3), also Bill Gates gives free wma (like mp3) file encoder at http://www.microsoft.com, can be played on any Windows PC!
        Make PC a guitar fx processor

Comment

Originally posted by DigiGuitar
          Musichmatch price is $20, it's not free.
          there's a free version that does file conversion - I use that all the time.
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

But your better off with a cheap or free recording program because windows sound recorder only records for 1min..

try this site
            lots of share and freeware stuff there..
            Sequenzer Software im Musiksoftware-shareware Verzeichnis. Hier koennen Sie gezielt nach Musikprogrammen suchen, Programme herunterladen und Ihre Software gratis eintragen / the Musicsoftware directory
            Marshall JVM 410C
            Mesa Boogie DC-3
            ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
            1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
            2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
            2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
            1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
            2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
            1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

I think this site could be better..
              Marshall JVM 410C
              Mesa Boogie DC-3
              ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
              1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
              2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
              2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
              1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
              2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
              1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

I realize that everyone has their personal favorites, but AudioGrabber is an outstanding ripper/encoder, (that also has line in recording capabilities), that used to cost $25, but now the author gives it away for free.

Its great!

BTW - Windows sound recorder doesn't actually have a 60 second limit, but the way to get around it is somewhat convoluted.

You just record for 60 sec's. Then hit record again . . . and again, and again, until you have the length you want. Save that file as "template.wav", or whatever file name you prefer. From that point on, just open that wave file, and record. Then save it as another filename.

Its not great, but it'll work in a pinch if you ever must make a recording, and have no other software available.

HarddiskOgg is also a nice, but small, recording program that works great and is free.
                AudioGrabber, however, has many more options.

Comment

I dont know if this'll be much help, but when my band records we have a sort of complicated yet simple set up that works... we run one mic and one guitar into a mixer that runs into a receiver, that runs into a laptop. That mic is for picking up my guitar amp. Then another mic is hooked directly to the laptop, used for vocals, or other guitar stuff. All of this is recorded using default software that came with the OS on the laptop... not sure what it is... but anyway this setup works quite well if the levels are balanced well.
                  Last edited by Metalman_666; 04-28-2004, 08:40 PM.
                  • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                  • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                  • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                  • G&L Tribute Comanche
                  • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                  • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                  • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Working...
                  X