banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about a G&L for my next guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strat_master
    replied
    Re: Thinking about a G&L for my next guitar...

Umm ne question i read in an add that G & L wree made by leo fender? so what does that mean?!?!? ohh by the way they rock, much like PRS somewhat copy companies of axes but with consistant QUALITY! well..fender does have good quality...

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    replied

The G&L guitars are great. The only thing with that company is that they're so inconsistent from guitar to guitar, that it's best to play the one you want first. None are bad, but the necks, finishes and setups all vary. I've been digging my new G&L Asat Z-3 and am really impressed with those pickups. To me, they sound like a normal Tele with strat pickups, only when the volume is backed off. When you max out the volume, the pickups get fatter and more humbucker-like. The volume and tone controls have a nice, even sweep, and retain all the highs. This pickup design was the one Leo always wanted Fender to use, but never did. Boy, did they miss out. They're probably the most versatile single coils ever. You could think of them as a set of SSL1's
    mated with Duncan Invader polepieces. At 8, they sound traditional.
    At 10, they sound like a P-90.

The modern Invader, to me, is one of the best Floyd equipped guitars available at any price. The neck is a tad slimmer than I'm used to, but it is an awesome neck! The guitar resonates nicely and has far better tone than most of the equivalent guitars from other companies. The G&L shop is fairly small, so they do a lot more hand detailing. It shows when you play them and hear them.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-29-2004, 02:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AmpliFIRE
    replied

Originally posted by xerxes
    isnt there someone in the trader forum selling an invader?
    that would be me! I'm selling this one. It's a GREAT guitar (I have another one which I'm never going to sell)....I'm just selling it to fund some recording equipment. I'll take $500 shipped for it if you're interested.

Thanks!
    Paige

Leave a comment:

• Sprinter
    replied

G&L's, are the best Fender style guitars on the market. Another model to consider is the Climax. They were made in the early to mid 90's. Good luck in your search

Leave a comment:

• Hoss
    replied

that site is evil ...

Leave a comment:

• Skullkrusher
    replied

Originally posted by xerxes
    Thanks for that.

Leave a comment:

• xerxes
    replied

or this, this one i really am dieing for, and its only $699!!!!!

drools

Leave a comment:

• xerxes
    replied

who wants some gas?

Leave a comment:

• xerxes
    replied

isnt there someone in the trader forum selling an invader?

Leave a comment:

• Hoss
    replied

my next tele will probably be some sort of ASAT...

Leave a comment:

• Curly
    replied

yes, I'm a big fan of Buffalo Bros!

I've never even bought from them, but they're local, and I go in there once in a while to drool.

They excel at acoustic stuff, and have a pretty good selection of nicer acoustics like Collings, Santa Cruz, Larrivee, Lowden, etc, as well as their big sellers, Taylor and Martin.
    The first time I walked in their previous location, they had about 300 acoustics on the floor!!!!!

But they also have an expanding stock of electric stuff, with an especially nice stock of G & Ls.

They are low key, fair dealers, and are the only place I've seen who offer 100% trade in a "regular" purchase, meaning something bought from their stock, not custom-ordered. I think they must have figured out that return business is worth a lot!

anyway, *rant off* I just called them to ask about a custom ordered Legacy ... I had forgotten about the pool rout though - that kinda bums me a little. But I always find 'em highly playable, and yeah, that gun oiled tint is sweet!

Leave a comment:

• Jonny R
    replied

I was just looking at the Buffalo Brothers website. I think Curly pointed me that way originally.

Man, there are some lovely Bluesboys, Legacys, ASATs, etc there.

Makes me want another one now.

I picked my Legacy up when I was looking at getting a new Fender Strat. The Strats I was looking at were twice the price (new) as the used Legacy that I found. Then I played the Legacy and bought it about an hour later.

Undervalued definitely. I happened to get a 3-bolt circa 1991 Legacy too, which was a bonus.

Leave a comment:

• Stratoplayer
    replied

I'd love to get my hands on an Invader (SSH) or Invader XL (HH). They are awesome guitars! I had the pleasure to play around with one shortly before I decided to start learning the guitar, so I guess the Invader in a way got me started.

Leave a comment:

• RiffRaff
    replied

I've owned two G&L's, a comanche and an ASAT Deluxe, both were built without flaws, the fit and finish was second to none, my only complaint was the weight (especially the ASAT) but I've played a blues boy and an ASAT semi hollow that were damn near perfect. I expect to be picking up a blues boy here in the next few months, I love the gun tint birdseye maple necks! The Legacy's and S500's can sell for pretty cheap used, some say it's because of the swimming pool routing under the pickguard, although they didn't start doing that until just a few years back.

Leave a comment:

• Curly
    replied

some people need money!

for me, the "production" G & L's are consistently nicer than Fender's

I think as far as used ones, it's the same kind of name recognition problem that Hamers have, even though it's no reflection on the quality. Let's be nice and say they're a "player's secret".

the only problem I have with mine are the pickups and switching - but we know how to deal with that, right???

if you're seriously considering one, just check the factory tour on their site - that should convince you that they're more like a custom shop than a factory ... well, a lot like Seymour's place!

I honestly preferred the old 3-bolt neck with the micro tilt, but oh well

I actually called today to get a quote on a custom order ... even though it's not cheap, you can fairly easily spec your finish, guard color, neck size & finish, and a number of other options, without costing an arm and a leg, like the Fender CS - G & L's a lot more like a hot rod shop in that regard.
    Last edited by Curly; 04-28-2004, 08:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X