Duhhh...central ground wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duhhh...central ground wire?

I've got my Les Paul wired according to the schematics on the SD site, but while I was tinkering I noticed that there was quite a bit of noise (not including my finger on the lug where the hot of the pup would normally go).

When I pressed the central ground against a volume pot grounding it out, the noise ceased. But I could get no signal either.

Question is, what do you do with the central ground wire? Do you leave it floating in space like mine is now, or ground it against a pot?
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Re: Duhhh...central ground wire?

Ground wires need to be soldered to the back of the pot (otherwise known as grounding). So yes, you have the right idea.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by korovamilkdud
      When I pressed the central ground against a volume pot grounding it out, the noise ceased. But I could get no signal either.
      Hmm . . . I'ld say that it was the "hot" wire that you grounded, not the ground. That would account for the complete loss of signal - including noise.

Its not really clear here, whether or not you already have something grounded to the back of a pot or not. Is there something soldered to the back of the pot?

This is one of those cases where you just need to trace back all your wiring, preferably with the help of a meter, and see whats not wired right.

Comment

Basically, the way I have it wired now, it's almost done. It just needs pups.

And a hint as to what I need to do to that big ol' brass wire.

I grounded the brass wire. I'm still getting a signal so all is well.
        Last edited by korovamilkdud; 04-30-2004, 11:58 AM.
        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
        Originally posted by Sosomething
        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Working...
        X