guitar storage tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar storage tricks

i have a guestion for everyone. I live in oklahoma and the weather here changes in seconds. My SG-X that i always carry with me has started to finish check real bad. I was just wondering if anyone had any little tricks to help out with storing my guitars. I have heard like cillica packs and even moth balls. Any suggestions or should i just tell everyone my gibsons are "closet classics". Thanks
    76 Gibson SG Standard - cherry
    Gibson SG Standard - black
    Gibson Double cut special - black
    Gibson SG-X - sea green

67 Blackface Bassman
    Marshall 1960B (v-30s)
    ProCo - Rat
    Marshall JTM-30

Re: guitar storage tricks

Serious finish checking can be caused by drastic temperature and humidity changes. If you are taking your rig from a cold dry (air condtioned) enviroment to a hot humid (night club) enviroment try keeping the guitar in it's case for an hour or two so that it warms up slowly. This should be done for the opposite scenario too.
    ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

Yep, and at home, buy a hygrometer ( looks like a thermometer, but measures humidity ). You may need a de-humidifier in the summer, and a humidifier in the cooler months( when you run the heat ). Keep your humidity at around 45%. Leaving em in the case when you aren't playin em might help a little, too. Plus, keep your Temp. as constant as possible.
      Only The Strong Survive

Comment

For storage, tune the guitar down a couple steps, so there's still a bit of tension, but less. Put it in a case and store in a place where the temp. and humidity stay as neutral as possible.

For everyday use, keep the the guitar in neutral climates as much as possible.
        Let the guitar(in it's case) warm up or cool down before removing it from the case. There's no reason to keep the silicon packets...thow'em away! Everytime you change the strings, clean the fretboard with lemon oil and polish the guitar with guitar polish. Just doing that will add the necessary amount of moisture to the wood and finish, to avoid checking, patina, cracks, and separated binding.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

All good advice so far !!!
          Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Working...
          X