action problem on gibson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• action problem on gibson

ok so on my gibson sg the action is just perfect on the lower frets but on the higher ones it is way to high. i like my action fairly low and it is fine on the lower frets but when i go past about 12 it gets all high and when i bend the strings it just doesnt feal natural. i adjusted the truss rod in ever different way i could and if i lower the bridge anymore it gets all uncomfertable and stuff. i was thinking i could raise the nut and then lower the action so it would kinda compinsate for it. any thoughts?
    Down at the edge, close by a river.
    Close to the edge, round by the corner.
    Close to the end, down by the corner.
    Down at the edge, round by the river.

Hmm....

my answer would be go buy Dan Erlewine's "guitar player repair guide".... a very handy book, and it gives you TONS of info on setups... with that book, i was able to get my gibson to the near-perfect low action... i still fiddle with it every now and then, because it isn't quite perfect, but its darn close....
    '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
    Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
    '66 Fender Bassman
    Fender Champion 600
    Fender Stage 100

Comment

You need to find someone that knows how to properly set up a guitar and have them work with you a little. There isn't an "every which way" to adjust the truss rod. The neck should be flat to maybe .001" at the 9th fret relief. Back bowed will cause fret rattle and too much relief will cause your action to be too steep from the 9th fret or so back. If your neck isn't properly adjusted the relative position of the bridge and nut won't make a difference.

While you may have nut issues I doubt that the nut is your primary problem unless you are fretting out on the first three frets. Since this is not your complaint, I doubt it is your problem.

Remember guys, the neck and not the bridge or nut is the most likely thing on your guitar to move and it is the first thing that must be adjusted properly if the guitar is going to be set up correctly.
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Working...
      X