banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!!! Est. value of an 80's Schecter Pete Townshend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! Est. value of an 80's Schecter Pete Townshend?

Black, dual covered hums, black hardware, maple/maple neck, "fender" style headstock, six saddle hardtail bridge...just like this one!

i'm gonna put this thing on layaway if i can get a really good deal...so...what's it worth!? anyone know!?

thanks in advance,
    mike
    Last edited by Hoss; 08-03-2005, 08:13 AM.
    Originally posted by jeremy
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
    Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Re: Est. value of an 80's Schecter Pete Townshend?

Mike,

I'll tell you this, the one I passed up was in 1995 and if I recll correctly it was $550.00 then! Now I might be off a little but if I am it's only by about $50.00...I know it was not less than $450.00 because thats what I had to spend on a guitar and I remember not being able toi afford that one (I was young and had no idea that if the price tag said $500.00 you tried to get it for $400.00!).

I hope this is some help...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Re: HELP!!! Est. value of an 80's Schecter Pete Townshend?

hmmm...i just called the shop and Jeff (the owner wasn't there) but the other guy (his name escapes me at the moment ) said that they took it in on trade last week and that he didn't know for sure but he thought that it was $300-$350...?!?!?!?!?! he said to call Jeff back at around 1pm today and ask for sure or just stop by after work...soooo......i think i might snag it...i think i'll offer $250...!?

Comment

its fairly nice looking......personallyi dont like buying guitars without trying them though.....
        esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
        fender mim standard strat
        peavey classic 30
        johnson j-station
        original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
        dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
        yamaha f-310p acoustic
        taylor 410 acoustic
        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

DO IT! Even at $350.00 it's worth it (at least the one I played was!). Maybe do a little research on it and see what they go for...but It looks like a deal to me! Did you play it, what did you think of it?

Originally posted by Hoss
          hmmm...i just called the shop and Jeff (the owner wasn't there) but the other guy (his name escapes me at the moment ) said that they took it in on trade last week and that he didn't know for sure but he thought that it was $300-$350...?!?!?!?!?! he said to call Jeff back at around 1pm today and ask for sure or just stop by after work...soooo......i think i might snag it...i think i'll offer $250...!?
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

yeah....i played it the other day...felt really good...a few pickmarks...nothing major finish-wise...a little fading on the black hardware, especially the bridge...some fret ware on the first 4 or 5...not too too bad...but the neck felt AWESOME, fit my hands really good...the pups were really muddy though, but that wouldn't matter...i'd love a zebra set in them anyways!

i did an ebay search...nothing recently has sold...but there's one on there now with a current bid of like $575 and a BIN of $1299...?!
            Last edited by Hoss; 08-03-2005, 08:27 AM.

Comment

NICE Mike...If you can, snatch it up!!!

Hell, I'll send ya' $20.00 if it means they'll hold it for ya'!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
              Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
              FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Like I said...DO IT!

If the neck fits you hand you're 90% of the way there...The USA Schecters are great guitars and IMO will stack up against almost anything you put them against!

Comment

i know you would Terry!!!

i know he'll hold it for me until monday when i get paid...the only thing i gotta find out is whether they'll let me put it on layaway or if there's a way to spare the dough for it right now...iirc they don't do layaway on used gear, but i could be wrong!? if not, i gotta figure out away to make a quick $300 smacks!? or there's still a chance he'd let me put it on layaway...he's pretty cool like that?! if it's meant to be...it'll work out!

Comment

ooo, u have tried it! my bad..... yeah man, if u like it and can get it, do it!

also, how was the petty concert?
                    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                    fender mim standard strat
                    peavey classic 30
                    johnson j-station
                    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                    yamaha f-310p acoustic
                    taylor 410 acoustic
                    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

i'm pretty sure i'm gonna try to get it?! i'm at least gonna go back over there and give it a really good look over and run through again!?

as for the Petty concert....it ROCKED...BUT... https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=46588

Comment

anybody else have any thoughts/suggestions/advice/etc?!

Comment

Picture to establish credibility (me with my Schecter circa 1985).

Caution, my friend. The guitar in the pictures you posted is currently on eBay, right? I've been watching it, but there's no way I can afford it. It's at $550 now and I'm sure it will be near $1000 tonight when the auction closes. It is an original Schecter, made in the early 80's, in the USA, when Schecter was still primarily a parts company and Tom Anderson was working there. It is identical to the black Schecters Pete Townsend played back then, and were prominently featured in the "Who Plays This Guitar" ads back then. The guitar didn't even have a name.

Distinguishing features are dual strap buttons on the bottom, gloss neck finish, and glossy black pickup covers with rounded edges (you can kind of see these in the eBay pics.) I paid $625 new in 1984 for mine. It is without a doubt the finest guitar I ever owned, and #1 on my "never shoulda sold it" list.

In the later 80's Schecter started producing knock-offs of these guitars in the far east. They came in more colors, and were overall cheaper. I'm pretty sure the Asian ones had satin-finish necks. They still had tele-shaped pegheads. They cetainly did not have the same pickups. The asian pickup covers were still black plastic, but they had sharp, square edges and a satin or flat finish. I don't remember how many strap buttons they had. I borrowed one once for an extended try-out, and it didn't sound anything like my USA model.

Schecter has continued to make H/H tele-shaped guitars until the present day. Somewhere along the way, they aquired the name "PT", and changed to a different lawsuit-proof peghead design. I just bought a goldtop version of this "Diamond Series" PT for $300 used. (You can search my posts here, or look up recent sales on eBay.) This newer PT does sound very flat and dull, as you mentioned yours does. I bought mine as a "project" to re-create Townsend's goldtop, which will eventually involve a new neck and Duncans.

I suspect that the guitar you're looking at is one of the asian ones. Give it a good look-over, and let us know what you see. A "Made in..." stamp would be really helpful. Pics would be good, too. Keep in mind that the Diamond PTs are still available, presently $399 at MF.

If it sounds good to you unplugged, I say go for it, then change pickups. Judge your price against the new ones at $400; how much is the tele-shaped headstock worth to you? I think the $300 I paid was high, but I really wanted the out-of-production goldtop.

These are okay guitars, and good for modding as long as you don't confuse the originals with the much more numerous cheapies.

P.S. I just re-read one of your posts. I think offering $250 is a great idea. If you really like it, $300 is OK. I wouldn't go beyond that. I paid $315 for my goldtop, but I'm getting ~$15 back due to some minor problems.
                          Last edited by Rich_S; 08-03-2005, 10:07 AM.
                          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

after some research today...i've found that this guitar was actually called a Schecter Saturn when it was made...and eventually it became the PT after i think 1989?!

Comment

well considering Townshend is my favorite guitarist, GET IT!!!!!!!!!!
                              http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                              >cord<
                              1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Working...
                              X