Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new blues fiddle

Hey all,

Seems like I am always in need of advice, but I'm totally torn.

I decided that I'm going to sell my MIM strat b/c I want something with p90s and (I'm almost ashamed to say) I am sort of bored with the cherry-sunburst quilted maple top. My only restriction is that I don't want to put in too much more money ($300-500 total) .

My ideas so far:

MIM Tele and I can drop a p90 into the neck
    Cheap 335 knock off and drop p90s into it
    Save up a bit and get a Blueshawk

I come to you for advice b/c I like my blues both smooth (BB King) and gritty (Muddy Waters) and am having trouble deciding which sound to go for . Can you tele lovers get some smooth sounds from your low-end teles? Don't need to sound like anyone in particular, just want some versatile p90 tones. Thanks, wise blues tonefreaks!!

Re: Need a new blues fiddle

This website is for sale! guitartrader.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, guitartrader.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

these look pretty freakin' sweat to me, its a bit outside your price range but you could score one used in a few months
    i own stuff

Comment

You could also get a guitar with a pair of HBs and then drop in a set of Phat Cats for smooth and fat P90 tones with A2 mags. I think you can come close with a decent Tele by putting a Phat Cat at the neck and a JD Tele lead in the bridge -- more twang, but still fat and not that far removed from dual P90s if you adjust it properly. I have an American Series Tele done that way, and it sounds and looks great! Plus, I think many of the current Fender Teles come routed under the pickguard for a HB, so the Phat Cat will drop in (with a new pickguard), whereas additional routing would be needed for a standard P90.

Comment

Hey thanks, guys. That double cut thinline looks pretty neat. Saving up for that might be an option. Kelsey, so far I think that is my best option. Are you able to get some warmer, jazzier tones with that Phat Cat in the neck? I like what the threads are saying about that JB tele bridge.

Anybody know which tele models have the humbucker route in the neck? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X