What's a good rackmount delay unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good rackmount delay unit?

I'm looking for a delay processor for reverb, echo, flanging and chorusing in a rackmount setup. It'll probably run either in my combo amps' effects loop, or in between a tube pre and tube power amp. What sounds good? What's your favorite? Thanks!!

I've seen some Lexicon & TC Electronics units that do just that and they're supposed to be really good. Sure are pricey though.
    Fender Classic 60's Strat
    Epi Les Paul - PG/SH-4
    DSL50 w/Avatar 2x12 (V30/G12H30)
    Vox V848 wah
    Line 6 MM-4
    Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer

Comment

I think the Rocktron Intellifex has excellent Reverb, delay and Chorus.. The flanger you have to setup from other effects. It wont give you a flanger like an MXR Flanger would but it'll do the job. I am sure you can get a good flanger out of it but I never spent enough time to do that.

The only draw back about the delay is that they get cut off as soon as you switch from a delay patch to a none delay patch. Same goes for the reverb.

Other wise, sound quility for that unit is awsome for the money you can get it for.

I use it with my rack setup and probebly the only time I'll change it is that when I can afford things like Eventide and other high priced gear.

You can also check into the new Rocktron Xpression. It pretty good as people said.

Hope that helps,
      Duke
      Last edited by Duke of Metal; 03-18-2004, 01:40 PM.
      www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

If you can find one, I can't recommend the Chandler Stereo Digital Echo highly enough. Excellent clean & mean digital delay and fabulous analog-simulation delay, as well. It has a hi-cut switch and subtle modulation controls that can cop a tape echo sound which is perfect, except that it is pristine, where a tape echo is noisy. Short settings can give you a nice, dimensional 'verb, too.

It's the only thing in my signal path besides my guitar and amp.

They don't make 'em anymore and they're pretty prized, so good luck to you if you seek one out.
        F#@{ Clapton- Wenger is God!

Comment

If you like analog, I have to say Rockman Stereo echo and the Rockman stereo chorus. They are 1/2 rack units, great sound Fx.
          Gear:
          Gauge Custom Guitars Double Cutaway
          1988 Strat (copy)
          Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w
          Voodoo amps 20:20 and 50:50 cables
          Bob Burt Custom CabinetsCustom 2x12 cab

For Sale:

Comment

for delay, the venerable yamaha SPX-90. it is still used today. for multi effects, i hear ya cant go wrong with the TC g-major.

germ
            Jeremy Ledford
            Tone Guru Extroardinaire
            Tone Shop

Comment

If ya can find one, an old Alesis Quadraverb is A-OK
              Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I agree with Maggie and pureoldsound. I own two Chandler Stereo Echos (I use one for long delays and one for short delays), a Rockman Stereo Echo, A Roland Space Echo, and recently purchased the new Hiwatt Custom Tape Echo. The most dependabe and road worthy unit is the Chandler. It is almost scary how closely it matches the analog sound of old tape echos. The Hiwatt unit is pretty cool too. It's only one rack space and it sounds cleaner and quieter than the Space Echo. Asd far as reverb... I like the Lexicon "Alex" - I picked it up on Ebay a few months ago and as with most lexicon products, the reverbs are stellar!
                (2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

I'd say the TC G-Major. For really long delays, I use the Oberheim Digital Echoplex Pro- the deepest dedicated long delay box available.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                  X