banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does my amp sound better with master volume cranked...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why does my amp sound better with master volume cranked...

hehe... funny ! I was running my Laney GH50L with MV on 3 and preamp (labeled Drive) on 3 too, for a fairly decent clean tone. I use the add. gain stage as a volume boost for solos, and use my DirectDrive continuously.

So last week, I decided to set the MV higher, at 7, and lower the Drive (preamp volume) at 1-2. Same volume, much more balls, less buzz, and damn! my DirectDrive sounds better than ever !! Thick but clear, really amazing. Now thinking of buying an attenuator (read: weber mass).
    Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

you are right everyone...when I get my fender twin reverb I also realize the power of tubes and the exact use of master volume!Actually right now I never use the preamp volume...it stays at minimum 2-3 and master cranked at 7-10...sweeeeet and saturated fat cleans ))...I plug my Line 6 DM-4 for the OD work cause twin reverb does not have one...eventually DM-4 sounds great with master volume cranked...it just gets the feel of integrated preamp with enhanced dynamics and tone feel thanks to the power tubes...I used to have Marshall VS-100 and like it but now I'm totally in a different league...the feel & quality of power tube sound is matchless compared to valvestate and/or transistor amps...tubes all the way.......
      90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
      99' USA Fender Stratocaster
      96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
      79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Comment

I just tried this on my JCM 600 and holy crap, what a difference in tone! Fuller, not buzzy. Everything sounded better.
        '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Originally posted by StratTom
          Ok I'm a bit confused on something that maybe someone can clear up.

For example...amps like the Mesa recto's have gain, channel volume and a master volume. Which one pushes the power tubes, the channel volume or the overall master volume?
          Master (Output knob on Recto's, not sure about the other Mesas)

The channel volume is used to ballance the volume so there's no or little change in volume when switching channels.

Gain rocks, but I generally keep mine under 13:00 and put the output up past 15:30 or higher.

For the ultimate in anti nu-metal, dime the output on the clean channel with the clean channel volume up just past half and whatever you want for gain. It's instant 70's mojo.
          Last edited by some_dude; 05-11-2004, 08:00 AM.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I can't believe what an amazing sounding difference there is in cranking the master volume instead of the channel volume. I love tubes!
            Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

I agree with you guys. I crank the Master volume on my Triamp to get those power tubes really cooking, sounds phenomenal. I leave my channel volume pretty low so that I can get great tones without playing in an auditorium. If I ever need to play a gig, 80w should be enough to blow away people within a two mile radius.
              Originally posted by kevlar3000
              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
              Originally posted by Zerberus
              Better is often the enemy of good
              Originally posted by ginormous
              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I think amp manufacturers should change the Volume & Master Volume labels...It should be Preamp (Tube) Volume & Power (Tube) Volume...many people get confused and think there's no need for master volume cranked besides normal volume...I generally never use preamp volume past 2 and crank Master...it is a must for tube amps...
                90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
                99' USA Fender Stratocaster
                96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
                79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Comment

*sniff* I want a tube amp too.

Comment

Now I am just dying to get a tube amp just because of this post. I have a Line 6 spider II it rocks but !!!!!!! now I have to agree with Blue Calx I want a tube tooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Live long, play hard, enjoy life.

Comment

this is why so many of us are switching to low wattage tube amps. I fiddled with my 100w fender twin to make it a 15w twin. Now I can get that power tube saturation without leveling a city block!
                      Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

what kind of amp is a mesa markIV? 8i mean rectifier.. normal tube amp or whatever diference there is) i played it once and that sound was just amazing.. every setting. doesnt matter to what the knobs were pointing it sounded just AWESOME!
                        Last edited by Davey; 05-13-2004, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X