Recording Direct from Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording Direct from Amp

I want to record direct from my line out of my amp, a Vox Valvetronix AD-60. I'm thinking of using a Behringer GI100 Ultra-G DI Box to get the cabinet simulation. I have heard that this gets good results. What I can't figure out is how to connect the Behringer GI100 Ultra-G DI Box to my cassette deck. I have plugged a mic into the line in on the cassette recorder to record previously. What type of cable would I use to go from Behringer GI100 Ultra-G DI Box to my cassette's line in? Here's a link to the DI Box.

Whether you're recording or on stage, this DI box will get your guitar sound through the console with full dynamics and without miking your speakers.
    GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
    KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Re: Recording Direct from Amp

i got no idea but i have the same problem with my Behringer V-amp 2, i need a midi cord i kno that much but i need an adapter so it can hook up to my computer

-Cobalt blue Charvel
    -Seymour duncan live wire heavy metal humbuckers
    -Gibson amp( model unknown its too old)
    -Behringer V-amp 2

Comment

Originally posted by Charvel
      i got no idea but i have the same problem with my Behringer V-amp 2, i need a midi cord i kno that much but i need an adapter so it can hook up to my computer

Maybe, I'll just buy it and go to Radio Shack for a cable adapter. At least you have midi. Good luck.

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

it's unlikley that you would need a Midi cable because midi is only (from what i know anyway) used for syncronising say a drum machine to a multi tracker and footswitches also..

Judging by the behringer website and not knowing what your recorder is i'd likley say that all you need it a cannon-to-cannon lead (standard microphone lead) to connect the DI box to your cassette recorder...

it should work once your cassette ecorder has an XLR balenced input (microphone input with the three pins)

good luck and welcome!!
        Marshall JVM 410C
        Mesa Boogie DC-3
        ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
        1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
        2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
        2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
        1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
        2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
        1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
          it's unlikley that you would need a Midi cable because midi is only (from what i know anyway) used for syncronising say a drum machine to a multi tracker and footswitches also..

Judging by the behringer website and not knowing what your recorder is i'd likley say that all you need it a cannon-to-cannon lead (standard microphone lead) to connect the DI box to your cassette recorder...

it should work once your cassette ecorder has an XLR balenced input (microphone input with the three pins)

good luck and welcome!!
          Thanks. I don't have a 3 prong connector on my cassette deck. I can fit a regular guitar jack in the line in port (1/4" jack). Maybe there's an adapter?

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Radio Shack makes an adapter that will keep your balanced input from the XLR (mic cord) and change it to a 1/4" plug.
            www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

hey man you guys like solved my problem hehe, thanks now all ineed to do is buy an adapter and im set w00t

-Cobalt blue Charvel
              -Seymour duncan live wire heavy metal humbuckers
              -Gibson amp( model unknown its too old)
              -Behringer V-amp 2

Comment

Originally posted by Hellion
                Radio Shack makes an adapter that will keep your balanced input from the XLR (mic cord) and change it to a 1/4" plug.
                I'll give it a try. I plan to go standard guitar cable from the line out of the amp to the DI Box, then go out the mic out on the DI Box to the 1/4" adapter and into the cassette deck. That way I'll have analog cabinet simulation. Thanks

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

although unless you already have a standars cannon to cannon mic lead you should just get a cannon to 1/4' jack , in ireland anyway they're only like €5 but the cannon t cannon are like €20..+ the adaptors will wear out too with use and i think the actual leads(cannon to jack anyway) are cheaper...

y2stevo
                  Marshall JVM 410C
                  Mesa Boogie DC-3
                  ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                  1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                  2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                  2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                  1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                  2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                  1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Well I got it all figured out. I went with an XLR cable to a 1/4" Line Impedance Trasnformer. $20 for the XLR cable and $15 for Line Impedance Transformer. Worked like a charm. I had to return one cable that was only XLR to 1/4". It made a buzzing sound like I was missing a ground somewhere. I needed the Line Impedence Transformer to go from the DI Box to my cassette deck. Here's a link: http://www.activemusician.com/market/items/MC_AMT1.asp

I figured this out after sending Behringer an e-mail. They actually aswered in less than an hour.

I have to say that the 4x12 cabinet emulation on the Behringer DI Box adds an extra dimension to the sound. It's very cool for heavier sounds, but I haven't been able to make it sound good for fender clean sound. Once I step up to a real recording solution on a PC, I'll post some sound files. One thing at a time, though. This guitar hobby gets expensive. I should have taken up boating.

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

The DI box is really designed to go into a mixer. Instead of spending $15 for a transformer/adaptor, why not just buy the "little" Behringer mixer for $40? You'll get a lot more control, and a lot more versatility.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                        The DI box is really designed to go into a mixer. Instead of spending $15 for a transformer/adaptor, why not just buy the "little" Behringer mixer for $40? You'll get a lot more control, and a lot more versatility.
                        That sounds good. More flexibility and phantom power. I'll probably try that. Here's a link to the one I'm considering, becuase of the phantom power.
                        Behringer UB802 Eurorack 8 Input Mixer. Ultra low-noise design 8-input 2-bus mixer with premium mic preamplifiers.

Thanks

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Those are nice little mixers, for the money.
                          One of the great features of them, (and most mixers), is that you can plug a CD player into it, and play along with your favorite band.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                            Those are nice little mixers, for the money.
                            One of the great features of them, (and most mixers), is that you can plug a CD player into it, and play along with your favorite band.
                            I got the Behringer UB802 Eurorack 8 Input Mixer on Friday and that thing is great. It just gives me so much more flexibility. I don't have to touch my amp or my cassette deck, I can control everything from the mixer. I set the gain, treble, mid, bass and overall output. I connect the DI Box to one channel and get phantom power, so no batteries. Then I put a cheapy mic on the other channel and before I start recording, I speak into the mic what guitar I'm using what amp settings. That way if I come up with something good, I can do it again. A cool toy. Thanks for the suggestion.

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Working...
                            X