No announcement yet.

Strat owners: excessive fret-wire glue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat owners: excessive fret-wire glue?

Hey all you Fender Strat owners out there! I have an observation I want to share with you to see how many may have experienced a similar occurrance on the neck of their Strat(s).
    Last weekend I installed new pickups in my 2001 American Standard Strat. After closing her up and beginning to restring the guitar I notice a dull, yellowish substance on all the fret-wires just below the crown of the wire. Upon closer inspection with my handy jeweler's visor I use for intricate soldering work, I see what appears to be quite a bit of excessive glue on each side of every fret-wire on the neck. I run my thumbnail over it a few times and some of it flakes off in 1/8" - 1/2" chunks. It doesn't all come off so easy, so I use some 0000 super-fine steel wool on 'em and get 90% of the dried glue off the fret-wires after working on 'em for about an hour. I ended up doing what I believe to be a lot of fret-wire dressing that should've been done before it hit the market.
    What's up with that? Anybody have the same issue? That's pretty lousy quality control at the Strat-factory if you ask me. After all, these guitars retail for over a $grand, and what would it take to wipe off any excess glue off the neck with a non-intrusive cleaner after applying the wires to the neck?
    Could this affect the tone of the guitar in a small way, but nevertheless affect it? I would think it could since the guitar string is pressed against the wire when playing a note or chord, and if you have glue as a buffer logic would dictate a slightly less than true tone could be the result.
    Or maybe I'm just getting nit-picky?
    Any thoughts, people? I mean, everybody who's played a lot of guitars at this forum, whether Fender or Gibson, or whatever make of higher-end guitars has stated that you usually have to weed through a few to get to a good one. Could this be part of the reason of why that's neccessary?

-Bob

Re: Strat owners: excessive fret-wire glue?

Absolutely! I was rather shocked to discover this myself. But in retrospect there's been many whose stated at this forum and other websites that Fender, at times, has been slightly irradic in how they build guitars (i.e.; in certain years some had "swimming pool" routing while others had S-S-S or H-S-H, some had Kluson tuners while others had "Fender" tuners, etc.). Don't get me wrong, I'll always love Strats, but this issue raises a concern about quality control at the plant that many may have overlooked.

Comment

I have 3 Strats and 2 Teles. I think they are all really great guitars and from the day I got them I felt the over all quality was very good. I think what you have noticed on your guitar may have been a rare occarance. But as with all large manufaturers occasionally a few inferior products may slip through the cracks. I woudn't worry to much about it. If you are planning on keeping the guitar, sometime in the future it will need some fretwork. All that can be cleaned up pretty easily.
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Actually American standard's are in the $500 range. American Deluxe's are in the $1000 range. And even if they had a bad day and got sloppy on your guitar, it couldn't have been too bad as it took you 3 years to notice the excess.

Comment

You got me paranoid as I started to check my strats to see if there was a problem - thankfully there was not, but of course I have had them for a number of years.

Like any large company - Fender, Gibson etc - there are always going to be quality issues and it has been well known that there were/are some real dogs which have come out from the factory. Whilst you have raised an interesting theory about this affecting the tone I do not think that the excessive glue is the only answer. As you rightly point out this should have been sorted out as the final QC check or the shop should have done this before selling it on. I think the main problem is to do with how the components are put together and the materials used.

There is an old saying "rubbish in, rubbish out" and sad to say that has been the case when you mass produce something and you don't care about how they have been put together.

FWIW I have a number of other guitars and it is sometimes true that you have to weed out the guitars but on the whole I rave about Hamer (US) guitars because of their quality and construction. One of these days people will start to realise how good these guitars and by that time they will be out there and it will too late to get them at reasonable prices.
          Normans Guitars

Comment

i have seen what you are talking about but mine was not glue, it was the nitro laquer that was sprayed on after the neck had been fretted (maple neck). This is the neck that is going on my new tele and thankfully it is being taken care of, but for as much as i paid for it there should not have been anything on the frets themselves.
            Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Gamera
              Actually American standard's are in the $500 range. American Deluxe's are in the $1000 range. And even if they had a bad day and got sloppy on your guitar, it couldn't have been too bad as it took you 3 years to notice the excess.
              Wrongo, dude. I never said I bought the guitar new. I've only had it for about a month.
              I have pretty much cleaned it all up already, but still have a few small spots that I missed and will take care of next time I restring.
              Used, the guitar is in the $500-$600 range considering the year, but new they go for a little under a grand unless you catch 'em on sale like at M-F right now. I should've stated in my original post that they "list" for over a grand. Mine would cost $870 new (sale price) including the 3-Tone sunburst finish.http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/510590/
              Maybe you're thinking of the U.S. Strat? They are considerably less in price. One of those in a 3-Tone finish goes for $600 new.
              Need to find something? Let the Musician's Friend site map guide you to the products you're looking for.

But, you were correct at least on the price of the American Deluxe at $1000.

I think maybe mrfjones is right, it must be the nitro laquer spray coating instead of glue. Regardless, that would've been even easier to wipe off had they taken a minute or two at the factory to do so. Too bad.

Comment

Working...
              X