No announcement yet.

Why own so many guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I used to feel the same way as you. I owned nothing but an old Ovation acoustic for many many years. I was riding around with a friend at work one day, taking a very long trip and he got to talking about all his guitars.

I seriously asked him the same question... "why do you need more than one"

He laughed.

Then the sickness/madness/obsession began for me. He sold me my first electric that I had had in years. Epi Les Paul. I started lookig at putting some Gibson aftermarket pups into it. This buddy of mine then turned me onto Seymour Duncan. The rest is history as they say.

If you feel like you can be happy with one guitar, then that is cool. I'd strongly advise you to not hang out here because this sickness we call GAS is very contagious. You have been warned.

I know have 4 electrics, sort of one from all the major food groups. Les Paul with hummers, PRS with P90s, Strat with single coils, and a 335 Heritage with seth lovers. Yes, all my giuitars have Duncans in them. Go figger.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Oh and now the obsession has turned it's green envied eye towards amplifiers. I've gone from being a one amp guy to now ordering a custom built amp and making my own amp.

I'm currently looking to add a Vox to the stable as well. Gotta have an amp from all the major food groups you know.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

i totally agree with wut captain cavman said... when i get older and find a well steady job, iam so gonna buy all the guitars i cant afford right now. i love guitars!!!!
        Schecter: Diamond Series S1 PLUS (invader in bridge)
        Squier: Bullet Special (lake placid blue, EMG81 in bridge)
        CRATE: V-Series 50 watts (VFX5112)
        Rogue: 50 watts (guitar amp)
        Jasmine: S34C NEX Cutaway

Comment

i have bought 4 new 1s in the past few months.... i have also sold a few in that time also. I have 8 guitars right now and i want to get rid of some..... i just cant find a reaason to get rid of any of them. They all offer me diffrent things.

maybe i should sell all my stuff and buy an electric and acoustic variac
          '05 Gibson SG Standard
          '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
          PRS IRW McCarty
          '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
          82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

Originally posted by Ez74
            i have bought 4 new 1s in the past few months.... i have also sold a few in that time also. I have 8 guitars right now and i want to get rid of some..... i just cant find a reaason to get rid of any of them. They all offer me diffrent things.

maybe i should sell all my stuff and buy an electric and acoustic variac
            good god please dont!
            esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
            fender mim standard strat
            peavey classic 30
            johnson j-station
            original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
            dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
            yamaha f-310p acoustic
            taylor 410 acoustic
            "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

I keep getting guitars, because I still have money left! lol

Seriously, ALL of my guitars sound and play differently from each other. I love them all, and can't abide compromise, so I keep collecting!
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

For me, I have just a handful of instruments that I use for work- teaching, recording, performing- thats 3 electrics, and 1 acoustic.
                Yeah different guitars play different, but I think nothing of playing jazz on a strat, or getting a very convincing LP tone out of my Brian Moore. I could probably go buy a lot more, but do I really need to aquire more for the sake of showing off my toys? Or hearing suttle differences in tone only a bat could hear when performing or recording? Nah, a good carpenter doesn't just buy every hammer he thinks is pretty. Steve Morse gets lots of different sounds out his 1 guitar, so I don't see any reason to be gluttonous.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I used to have 4, but now I have 3. I've changed my tastes considerably myself, and now what I'm looking for is different.

My next purchase will be a double cut trem style guitar with dual humbuckers (started to think that I wanted a strat type guitar, but I'm waking myself up now).

I have two solidbodies: the Gibson and Epiphone LP. The only reason is that I have them in different tunings. Standard and Open E. From there I have multiple tunings.

I have two tunings for my semi-hollowbody Dean: Open A# (I think) and some crazy ass alternative tuning I can't even tell you.

All in all, I have about 12 different tunings I use, but I'm trying to get back to the standard tuning.
                  Last edited by That90'sGuy; 03-19-2004, 12:18 PM.
                  Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                  Originally posted by Zerberus
                  Better is often the enemy of good
                  Originally posted by ginormous
                  Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

i have 6 right now, one i do not really play but it is kept because it was my first guitar. I can not seel that strat. I have anotehr strat that i modded and play plus two telecasters than are modded, a bluesbird (hollow version of a les paul) and a starfire, so all of mine sound and play differently but i think it is time to sell the starfire.
                    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

At the minute I have 6 guitars:

Gibson LP Standard
                      Fender Strat
                      Epi LP
                      Old Bastardised Strat aka The Browcaster
                      Epi Flying V (for sale)
                      Dean Exotica Electro Acoustic

I had a Dean ML with a Locking Trem that was a Christmas present, and I wanted something that was hardtail and that would stay in tune; hence I saved my wages up for months and bought the Epi LP. Everyone needs an acoustic imo, so I got the Dean as I liked how it played and sounded.

I started playing a bandmates Strat more and more often at practises, so I saved up again and bought 1. I found an old Strat at college which they were throwing out, so they gave it me and it turned into The Browcaster

I grew out of the look and sound of the Dean ML, so I swapped it for a Epi Flying V to be a backup to my Epi LP.

Then I started a full time job after college, saw a Gibson LP (the guitar I had always wanted ) for sale at a great price so I treated myself to that

Its not really a collection imo as they all get used, it just depends what sort of music I'm playing at the time as to which guitar I choose. If I could only have 2 though, with no doubt in my mind it would be my Gibson LP and my Strat

Comment

I have two electrics and one acoustic right now.

In my case, I like to play in many tunings, and to have a few set up in those tunings, is VERY nice.

Ex-
                        my main guitar(Jackson USA Kelly) is set to standard E, my Charvel model 550XL is tuned to Eb. I would love to have another guitar tuned to D, and maybe one more in a lower tuning.

Acoustic wise, I would love to have two more-a good nylond string and a a 12 string.

The tonal variations would be nice to have at my fingertips!

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar
                          Yep...it's an addiction. We think it'll make us happy. Like all addictions and cravings: it won't...
                          Well, guitars can bring you a certain amount of enjoyment and happiness, but it wont make you completely happy, if thats what you mean.
                          Fender Classic 60's Strat
                          Epi Les Paul - PG/SH-4
                          DSL50 w/Avatar 2x12 (V30/G12H30)
                          Vox V848 wah
                          Line 6 MM-4
                          Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer

Comment

More pickup slots
                            Originally posted by The Minstrel
                            Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

hmmmm........because they are awesome!!!!

simple - but true!

granted i only have 3 at the moment...and one i'm building (strat)it's a good thing i'm not rich...

but when my wife finishes school....LOOK OUT!!!!

what i have is in my sig...

what i plan to buy in the next few years is the following...

a dual hum tele of some sort
                              les paul custom
                              G&L ASAT
                              ric 660
                              gibby 335
                              taylor 12 string
                              5 string jazz bass
                              takamine acoustic bass

just off the top of my head!!!

let's not even get into amps...LOL!!!

is it a sickness.......yeah probably......but so what...LOL!!!
                              Originally posted by jeremy
                              God hates bad guitar tone
                              GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                              AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                              EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                              Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

I like having enough guitars so that I can have a backup for every one of my main guitars.

Comment

Working...
                                X