STRING NIGHTMARE! d'addarios!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: STRING NIGHTMARE! d'addarios!

Interesting that you use Phosphor Bronze for Dobros and lapsteels. I agree that they sound better. I never understood why Dobros and slide guitars are supposed to be stainless steel? or nickel wound?
    I've used John Pearse nickle wrapped strings too, they're a little punchier and a little louder with my reso, plus they last waay longer than the D'Addario phosphor bronze, but they're also a little muddier, and the Bs are a ***** to tune, they never sound quite right to me. Nicklewraps just don't have the sweetness and purity of tone I'm looking for. They seemed to work fine for me in E tuning though, they project a little better than PB when you tune down, but I mostly play in G on my squareneck [GBDGBD]. I use D'Addario J-42s [16-18-.026-.035-.045-.056]. I just buy extra .026s, I'll wear out 2 or 3 high Gs before the rest of the strings go south. I tune my acoustic lap guitar to D [DADF#AD] and use J-42s on it too.

Comment

I've used GHS Boomers, D'Addarrio, DR, and Dean Markley successfully with no issues. I actually always found the D'Addarios to be great and maybe a bit warm. I ended up with GHS Boomers for some reason but they are working for me.

Comment

Could anyone honestly hear a difference between any brand after a set of strings is on your guitar for longer than a month? They all get the same dirt build up wether you are a wiper or not. Maybe sometimes we take the tone obsession to far?
        I just pick out the cheapest quality strings now, which happen to be D'addario, but I'm considering going back to EB's. I could swear they sound better, but maybe its all in my head. Feeling is the same though, but I pick hard with a 1.14mm pick...
        Now I'm confused, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst
          Could anyone honestly hear a difference between any brand after a set of strings is on your guitar for longer than a month? They all get the same dirt build up wether you are a wiper or not. Maybe sometimes we take the tone obsession to far?
          I just pick out the cheapest quality strings now, which happen to be D'addario, but I'm considering going back to EB's. I could swear they sound better, but maybe its all in my head. Feeling is the same though, but I pick hard with a 1.14mm pick...
          Now I'm confused, lol.
          There is a tonal difference between one kind of strings and another... just read the first post for an example. After a month? No. All strings are dead after a month anyway. If you're still playing the same strings after a month, you need to pony up the 6 bucks for a new set.
          It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
          - David St. Hubbins

Comment

I've always found them to be thin as well. I'll stick with Ernie Ball for now!

Comment

d'addario rocks. Just one broken in one year. Used to play ernie ball, but i decided to use D'addario after i a/b'd them. Ernies were broken more often.
              RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
              TS 7 (modded)
              Hot Rod 50+ XL
              Framus Dragon 4x12
              V-AMP II for practice

Comment

I've been playing guitar for only 4 or 5 years, but I've tried Fender, Dean Markley's Nickel Steel electrics and blue steels, GHS boomers, and I'm currently using a DR tite fit set of 9-42's on my Ibanez. I never really liked the fenders, but I was a huge fan of blue steels. They sustained longer, and I'm not even sure if they're worn out on my strat after 2 months. I should try out a set of D'addario 9's and see what all the fuss is about. But I've still got plently of time left
                • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                • G&L Tribute Comanche
                • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Now I'm confused, lol.
                  I find that there really IS a difference after a month or so. It's already been said, but each string is made differently, so the tone "after death" will sound different as well.
                  • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                  • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                  • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                  • G&L Tribute Comanche
                  • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                  • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                  • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                    I don't like changing strings so I often use the same set for months. At the moment I use Rotosound. What i did find with D'adds is that they are 'springier' than most when new. What's happening is the strings are hitting the frets. In other words the D'adds vibrate further than the Fenders which are very stiff. I'm guessing that you have a pretty low action. I think someone like me who plays very clean and picks very light wouldn't have your problem. I also use 11-52 guage, so less travel.

Lee
                    Exactly...The D'Addarios exert less overall string tension,so in some cases you'd benefit from a truss rod adjustment to correct the neck tension..My guitars are set up for D'Addarios and I have been using the .010-,046 sets for an awful long time..They are great strings but they probably aren't for everyone? Hence so many string choices out there! The Fender strings of the same gauge as the D'Adarrios are definately stiffer and I Know from trying many different strings..Fender is even competeing with lighter tension strings,evidenced on their website with their "Less Tension" line..

John
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

well after waiting for the most replies i decided to prove some wrong!

any of you that said my guitar was out of adjustment or i just did not like the D
                      adarrios? WRONG!!!!!!!!

I went and bought several different packs of 9-42's including GHS boomers,EB's.
                      DR's, and markleys NONE OF THESE had the symptoms that the d'a"DREAD"ios had.
                      of the group i like the GHS the best they have the most powerful tone of the group and have perfect intonation, but nonetheless ANY of those others i tried are way better than d'a "DREAD"io's

may have cost me a few bucks but at least i know it was the brand!

Comment

I also hate D'addarios. Once after having some work done on my Explorer, it was re-strung with D'addarios instead of the EBs I typically use and I hated it. They bent really easily, but sounded very weak on the low end comparatively. These days I'm using DR Pure Blues 11-50 and I couldn't be happier with playability and tone.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Nice boobs

Besides gauge, materials and construction define resonance amplitude so there might be a little diffrence between string and string and it can really affect unwanted string buzz. Guitar is a sensitive matter, little means much. Something that doesn't work for A might be ideal for B.

Man sorry for the wasted set of wires but I don't really see your problem. If you just don't feel something right, just return to the working track ot change the path

I have no problems with D'Addarios. I don't like them when they're fresh but after a week of moderate abuse (+cleaning) and stretching itself 2 the axe they are great, last long and keep tuning. Now I'm using ErnieBall 010 Slinkys because I could get a 10-pack dirt cheap, they sound great immediately right out the box, they have little sticky feeling, corrode slightly in a month (no real problem I change strings every month) break easier and made the graphite nut worn relatively quickly as I noticed.
                          Last edited by NecroPolo; 05-18-2004, 10:57 AM.
                          Wackor
                          Ørdøg
                          NecroPolo
                          Diabolus in Musica
                          SIDrip Alliance
                          Book of Shadows
                          RKH

Comment

Could anyone honestly hear a difference between any brand after a set of strings is on your guitar for longer than a month?
                            Sure we can, that's what I mean by "dean markleys last well and keep their tune" but if you're in a pro band and play out/thrash three plus times a week, then you need to change your strings every two days or more - it's not the same life at all at all at all!
                            Last edited by msplines; 05-18-2004, 01:45 PM. Reason: forgot sthing

Comment

I swear by Everly B-52s or Gibson Brite Wires always in 10s. I love their tone and longevity. It seems that the Everly's are getting harder to find though. I've tried many other brands and always had tone, reliability or longevity issues with them. I think you get what you pay for most of the time.
                              ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

I have no problems with d'addario xl 10-46 on my tele and PRS.

For strats I prefer GHS nickel rockers for a warmer tone. If you're into SRV and Eric Johnson, check 'em out. That's what they use. They start out quite a bit duller, but their tone stays longer.

You guys go for a month+ with your strings? Does that include gigging? -I change mine before every gig if I can, and no more than every two gigs, so my strings get changed every two-three weeks on my main guitars. Leaving them on for a second gig is asking for a break, except on my graphtech equipped strat.

I also find that the intonation goes after one gig.
                                Originally posted by Jolly
                                ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Working...
                                X