Good pedal EQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good pedal EQ

I'm looking for something to give me more control over my tone (and the ability to set a different lead setting with a single EQ amp) without sacrificing any sound quality. Footswitch and at least 5 band EQ. GE-7 seems to be the standard, any advice?
    Originally posted by The Minstrel
    Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Re: Good pedal EQ

Originally posted by italic zero
    I'm looking for something to give me more control over my tone (and the ability to set a different lead setting with a single EQ amp) without sacrificing any sound quality. Footswitch and at least 5 band EQ. GE-7 seems to be the standard, any advice?
    The GE-7 is a pretty nice pedal. I don't find a lot of use for it, however. It's more a dust collector than anything.

Turn-ons: Good control of tonal spectrum, nice amount of db boost, reliable, sturdy construction, really cuts through

Turn-offs: Loud

Really, that just about sums up my views on the pedal. It gets the job done well, it's just that it can get pretty noisy, especially in high gain moments (like most EQ FX). I have heard of mods that can be done to reduce the noise, talk to John (STRATDELUXER97) about it. I prefer using different pickups to EQ pedals!
    Last edited by Guitarist; 05-15-2004, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by italic zero
      The GE7 works great as an EQ if you don't mind the hiss in your overall signal?

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
        The GE7 works great as an EQ if you don't mind the hiss in your overall signal?

John
        Can you mod that for him?

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
          Can you mod that for him?
          NO But Keeley I think does?

John
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

i use a GE-7 sometimes and i found that putting it in the effects loop shuts up the noise, on my amp at least.
            gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
            '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
            mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
            marshall 1960A 4x12
            and a few pedals

Comment

Originally posted by muttonchopsrule
              i use a GE-7 sometimes and i found that putting it in the effects loop shuts up the noise, on my amp at least.
              Yes..And the effects loop is a great place for it,but some amps don't have the loop...

John

Comment

John, you seem to be drooling quite a bit...may want to see a doctor about that.

It's not supposed to shape your tone much, but a simple SD Pickup booster should get the job done. Most of the time a slight change in level is better than EQ adjustment (my experience). Just a little something to push you out front that can later be pulled back.

I've used a Digitech X-Series Bass Squeezer before and it will totally scream. You can set it for a bass cut/boost and treble cut/boost and even choose the crossover point between the two as well as a master volume. The guitar version of the pedal didn't do much for me but the Bass Squeezer is sweet.

Comment

i like the mxr 10-band equalizer...it has more slidey things to play with...haha
                  well...i think its better then the boss

Comment

ge=7 is standard......the mxr 10 band is also popular.........the sd pup booster would be cool

ive demo'd each of the aboce, u cant go wrong...
                    Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
                    Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
                    Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
                    Crate VC-3112
                    Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
                    Fender Bassman 60

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
                      John, you seem to be drooling quite a bit...may want to see a doctor about that.

It's not supposed to shape your tone much, but a simple SD Pickup booster should get the job done. Most of the time a slight change in level is better than EQ adjustment (my experience). Just a little something to push you out front that can later be pulled back.

I've used a Digitech X-Series Bass Squeezer before and it will totally scream. You can set it for a bass cut/boost and treble cut/boost and even choose the crossover point between the two as well as a master volume. The guitar version of the pedal didn't do much for me but the Bass Squeezer is sweet.
                      Someone on the forums gave me rabies! It's a dog eat dog world on this forum ya know!

John

Comment

I have no experience in using EQs, but to me, it sounds like a rackmount EQ would do the trick better than a pedal. Again, I may be wrong.
                        Ibanez RG1570: stock
                        Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Comment

The Boss is good, but theres the slight hiss. Otherwise solid reliable, does what is says on the tin.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                            NO But Keeley I think does?

John

He mods them to lower the noise floor and it virtually removes all the hiss.
                            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                              http://tone-jam.com/GE7_mod_page.html

He mods them to lower the noise floor and it virtually removes all the hiss.
                              woa im interested in that. $45 shipping free worldwide is nice. Does anybody here know any pedal modders in the uk by any chance?

Comment

Working...
                              X