THD Hot Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THD Hot Plate

Is it worth it? I'm going to be working more hours over the summer and a $250 price tag on a Hot Plate for my DSL doesn't seem as far-fetched as it did a few months ago. Should I buy it when I have the chance?

I like the idea of being able to crank your amp for better tone, especially since I can't turn the volume on my DSL past 4 without it overpowering my band.
    Gibson SG Standard (498T/498R)
    Schecter C-1 Elite (Custom/59)
    Fender Deluxe Double Fat Strat (Carvin SD22/M22N)
    Yamaha FG-413S acoustic
    Marshall G15CDR
    Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    Marshall 1960A
    Boss ME-50
    ...and just a little talent.

Re: THD Hot Plate

I love how when I ask for advice or help, I get ignored, but when SlashRules posts 8 million and a half threads about gear, he always gets plenty of replies.

What gives?
    Gibson SG Standard (498T/498R)
    Schecter C-1 Elite (Custom/59)
    Fender Deluxe Double Fat Strat (Carvin SD22/M22N)
    Yamaha FG-413S acoustic
    Marshall G15CDR
    Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    Marshall 1960A
    Boss ME-50
    ...and just a little talent.

Comment

Well it is one of the better ones, they all compress the sound slightly.
      The Marshall one is probally the worst when it comes to compressing.
      Just get one that matches your cabs impedance.

Comment

"PARANOIA WILL DESTROY YA' !!!"

The only experience I have with the Hot Plate, is the built in one that was in my UniValve....never really used it, but the noise reduction was pretty cool/good.

I just ordered a Weber MASS...mainly because it has a switch that gives you the option of 2-4-8-16ohms. A little more versatile, in my opinion & the MASS with all options is $200.00 shipped.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
        Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
        FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

2nd vote for the Weber Mass. More options and better price.
          ---RCM78

Comment

I have two Hotplates.

They work great. I couldn't imagine going without them.

The noise reduction is good, and the tone controls help you "fix" your sound under high attenuation. The -16db bedroom mode is handy for practicing if you don't have (or feel like using) a practice amp.

I've been hearing alot of good things about the Weber Mass lately. I'd probably stick to the THDs anyway, as they've proven themselves to me, and how often do you change speaker impedances? Besides, I have a 4ohm model and I can mismatch it with a 4, 8, or 16ohm cab as long as I set the amp right.
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
              I have two Hotplates.

They work great. I couldn't imagine going without them.

The noise reduction is good, and the tone controls help you "fix" your sound under high attenuation. The -16db bedroom mode is handy for practicing if you don't have (or feel like using) a practice amp.

I've been hearing alot of good things about the Weber Mass lately. I'd probably stick to the THDs anyway, as they've proven themselves to me, and how often do you change speaker impedances? Besides, I have a 4ohm model and I can mismatch it with a 4, 8, or 16ohm cab as long as I set the amp right.
              So if you get a hotplate as long as the impedance matches the amps it doesnt matter what impedance the cab is??
              Marshall JVM 410C
              Mesa Boogie DC-3
              ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
              1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
              2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
              2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
              1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
              2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
              1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
                So if you get a hotplate as long as the impedance matches the amps it doesnt matter what impedance the cab is??

I talked to the THD rep on another forum since I posted this. What he told me is that you can safely mis-match a Hotplate one step in either direction. When you do so, you set the amp for the lowest impedance. So if your running a 8ohm Hotplate and a 4ohm cab, you set your amp to 4ohm. When running an 8ohm Hotplate and a 16ohm cab, you set your amp to 8ohm. For anything weird, contact THD via phone or email and they'll get back to you fast.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't been able to verify it, but apperently, the Weber Mass does the same trick. When you order a Mass that has the 4/8/16 ohm selector switch for instance, their not changing the internal impedances at all, just adjusting the tone controls to better suit the impedance being used. (again, take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't been able to independantly verify it) All the impedance selector switch is is a tone control that's almost a selling gimmick to make you think your getting a multi impedance attenuator.

Here's a test someone did on another forum when comparing the two;
                Comprehensive Attenuator Test: MASS vs. HotPlate

Again, the grain of salt thing, but interesting non the less.

Comment

I used a hotplate with my dsl 100 and ended up selling it. They work as described but I didn't feel it was necessary with the DSL. IMO the DSL sounds great at lower volumes. It was cool being able to use the clean channel, crank the master and get nice overdrive. But I could get the same sound by using the red channel on the clean channel. I don't think it's really worth the money unless your amp doesn't have a master volume.
                  Low wattage rocks!
                  Bumbox Lead 1
                  Orange Tiny Terror
                  Vox 120VTH
                  ----------------------
                  Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
                  Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

Originally posted by JfromHouston
                    I don't think it's really worth the money unless your amp doesn't have a master volume.
                    Kind of a blanket statement, don't you think? Just because it didn't work out for you doesn't mean it won't help others.

I have a master volume, and it's almost always between 6 and 8, or maxed, depending on the sound I'm looking for. It's really hard to run that hot without an attenuator of some kind, and below that level my amp sound cold and sterile.

Comment

I swear by my Hot Plate, I'd never be without it. It might work better with older Marshalls like mine because they used larger output transformers. The newer Marshalls use a smaller output transformer and don't have the same roar that the older Marsalls have when cranked.

Cheers,

CJ
                      www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

Also if its a master volume amp, unlike the dsl, your not driving the power tubes that way only the pre tubes...

Thanks..
                        Marshall JVM 410C
                        Mesa Boogie DC-3
                        ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                        1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                        2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                        2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                        1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                        2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                        1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

THD HotPlate = $250

Being able to floor the amp and keep it at bedroom level = Priceless

Comment

Originally posted by frigginalex
                            Is it worth it? Should I buy it when I have the chance?

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                            Kind of a blanket statement, don't you think? Just because it didn't work out for you doesn't mean it won't help others.

Read the quote above from Alex then reread my post. He asked if we thought it was worth it and I told him what I thought. Sorry you don't agree but if everyone did what would be the point of asking opinions? And as far as a blanket statement, I said the product works. I also said that I didn't think it was necessary on MV amps. Once again, my opinion, as was asked for in the initial post.

To summarize, and just to keep things clear.

Here is the fact: Hotplates work.

Here is the opinion: Its not worth the $250 on a DSL.

J
                            Last edited by JfromHouston; 07-04-2004, 09:56 AM.
                            Low wattage rocks!
                            Bumbox Lead 1
                            Orange Tiny Terror
                            Vox 120VTH
                            ----------------------
                            Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
                            Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

Working...
                            X