Takamine vs. Martin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takamine vs. Martin

I need some help on choosing an acoustic guitar. I am looking at the Takamine EAN15C. A verryyy nice guitar. I was just wondering if any other guitar(prefer Martin) matches its quality for the price. The EAN15C goes for about 1100$. Any suggestions?

Re: Takamine vs. Martin

Takamine's are nice guitars....some really nice! Buuuuut, Martins will always rule the roost. Ask any luthier what their favorite acoustic company is. It's even questionable whether or not Goodall, Collings, or Sante Cruz guitars are better. Those are the only brands you could truly put up next to a Martin. I'm talking "good" Martins.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

In my fairly recent search, I was all set for the Takamine EAN15C...didn't like the Martins...but then I found my Guild D-55.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
      Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
      FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

No matter what guitar you end up going with, worry less about the action, but pay close attention to the fullness, volume, and tone. That's what differenciates cheap acoustics from nice acoustics. 9 times outta 10, the action needs to be setup better on any brand. Spend some time shaving down the underside of the plastic saddle, on sandpaper, till the action is just above the point of buzz. I've had to do that to every single acoustic I've ever owned.

Comment

I have tried the K Yairi Luthier series........Goodbye Taylor and Martin and quite a few other "name" guitars.
          Takamines are good work guitars.
          Martins is like Gibsons.....back then they where really something.
          Today it is more a name.
          Lots of things is just that.....just a name with a big pricetag.

Comment

I like Alvarez Yairi's too. I wanna check out that Luthier Series? Rid is talking about.
            Personally, my favorite guitar would be if I could take my D-28 and put the same size fretwire that Taylor uses on it. Then, I'd be 100% happy.

Several years ago, I sold my beloved "Lemongrove era" Taylor 410 to my ex singer. He lives in Texas now, and is coming to visit this week, bringing my old faithful.
            It should be fun A/B'ing my old and current acoustics. I may even buy him a set of strings, so I can hear them both on level playing fields. Can't wait.

Comment

i prefer martins, and i havent really played a bad one, quality isnt an issues, all their gutiars (real wood guitars, 15 series and above) are pretty solid and good sounding.

i dont like tak's, i dont realy know why, same with taylors

alvarez and guild are the only 2 other type of acoustics id consider. i almost got a used guild when i was looking for a guitar, but it was too much $$$. alavarez is nice, yairi is even better....
              Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
              Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
              Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
              Crate VC-3112
              Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
              Fender Bassman 60

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                Martins is like Gibsons.....back then they where really something.
                Today it is more a name.
                Lots of things is just that.....just a name with a big pricetag.
                Not true! Not true!

Martin went through some tough times in the 70's and 80's but they are not "just a name". They are still a family owned business (since 1833) and still make almost all of their guitars in Nazareth, PA. They make high quality guitars to hit a wide range of price points and designs running from traditional to modern. For less than $1000 (street price) you can get either a -15 series all solid mahogany or sapele or a -16 series solid spruce top/solid mahogany back and sides guitar.

Now I have to admit having a real pro-Martin bias, having played and loved a D-35 for 32+ years (and counting). Trying to set that aside, they are a lot of good acoustic guitars out there. Just as an LP, a Strat and a Gretsch have their own personalities Martin, Taylor, Gibson, etc. acoustics all have their own sounds and feels. Going out and playing different guitars and finding the one that does it for you is, if anything, more important with an acoustic than with an electric.

Happy hunting.
                John Cipollina August 24, 1943 - May 29, 1989

Comment

I don't know if anyone could get away with selling a $100,000 guitar if they weren't martin though...
                  Originally posted by The Minstrel
                  Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

Listen to Gear jonser. He'e right, I own a Martin, and 2 Santa Cruz guitars. Collings, Goodall, and Santa Cruz are the best made guitars on the planet. That being said Martins are great guitars, so are Taylors,and some of the high end Taks. MArtin, Santa Cruz, and Goodall are guitars built for acoustic players. What I mean by that is they seem to play better with heavier strings and higher action(at least for me). Where Taylor and Taks and some others are good Acoustic guitars for electric guitar players. They tend to play well with low action and lighter strings. Another concern is electronics: If you don't need it to plug in stay away from the electronics, you will get more guitar for your money!
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                    X