banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do the different preamp tube positions do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do the different preamp tube positions do?

Okay so im getting my new tubes soon, and with this package im also getting a few high gain graded tubes to experiment with, so i sortof want to know what positions do what in a tube amp so that i know where to put different preamp tubes for different tones.

I also plan to experiment with other preamp tubes in the future, and ive heard that V1 is the most influential spot, but also something about V2.

What does each spot actually have an affect on and where should i be experimenting with different preamp tubes when i get around to it. On both my ENGL Savage 120 and Mesa .50 caliber + 112 combo.

Thanks everyone
    My Soundclick page.

Re: What do the different preamp tube positions do?

I think it can be different on each amp.

I know Mesa tells you what each tube does in the Dual Recto manual, I'd check your .50cal manual or phone Mesa as they'll tell you right over the phone.

The same advice goes for the ENGL, except I don't know how their customer support is.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
      I think it can be different on each amp.

I know Mesa tells you what each tube does in the Dual Recto manual, I'd check your .50cal manual or phone Mesa as they'll tell you right over the phone.

The same advice goes for the ENGL, except I don't know how their customer support is.
      Ive actually tried emailing ENGL a number of times over the past six months or so with no replies whatsoever. Thanks ENGL
      My Soundclick page.

Comment

its different for every amp

generally, i hear

V1 - most important, 80% + of tone shaped here
        V2 - i think gain stage, maybe not, second biggest, most often ppl with NOS and not alot of $$ have them in 1 and 2 only
        V3 - phase invertor, also very important, but not for tone,
        V4 - i think drives reverb, but dont quote me

either way, i always here go with NOS tubes for V1 and V2, and get some good current production tubes for the rest
        Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
        Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
        Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
        Crate VC-3112
        Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
        Fender Bassman 60

Comment

Keep in mind that different halves of the tube can do different things...like drive the tone stack in a Marshall.

Comment

Working...
          X