NGD PRS content never thought I’d say that lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
    Dragon II neck is the same as the Dragon I neck; it's only the bridge pickup that they changed.
    Dragon II bridge is around 12K, 43ga wire and an alnico - probably A5, possibly A4.

I had the Dragon I set in my '95 CE22. The bridge was fantastic at gain and I understand why they're legendary among some. But I wanted better cleanup and a more open character. I replaced them with a PRS 1985 reissue set and now it sounds amazing. Plus it can stand in tonally for my beloved '87 which I don't travel with anymore.
    Yes, the Dragon 1 and 2 necks are not too far off from a 1959 Gibson PAF.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

What's interesting to me is I can't think of any virtuosos who choose to play prs.

It seems like the prs vibe is a different thing. Like someone who buys a Bentley instead of a Ferrari.
      Just off the top of my head: Carlos Santana, Orianthi, Al Dimeola, Richard (Dickie) Betts, John Mayer, Dave Navarro...

There's quite a few, including yours truly.

Comment

John McLaughlin is about the definition of a virtuoso.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Check out a dude named Boscoe France. He’s a blues rock guy from Kentucky, great player and singer.

Also add David Grissom to the list, Alex Lifeson and Larry Lalonde for extended periods, and a lot of really innovative if not virtuoustic players.

I love that there’s no baggage with a PRS. Nobody expects Jimi, SRV, Duane Allman, etc
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Shawn Lane used to rip on his PRS as well as Charvels and others. But then he could play anything. The guy was limitless.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
              Congratulations! She's a beauty.

I don't understand the PRS hate. They're gorgeous guitars that play great !

I guess some people want a guitar they can trash and cover with stickers or relic or disrespect or who knows what.

A PRS is a beautiful thing and you tend to want to keep beautiful things beautiful. Maybe that's not "rock n roll" to some people.
              I dont hate them, but they don't put Floyds on them afaik. And they are heavy and bulky.

They are kinda regressive. Its basically a double cut LP design with better upper fret access, nicer tops, and a higher price tag.

Comment

ive never though prs were heavy or overly bulky

Comment

I never thought they were heavy or bulky either. It is pretty hard to make a lasting design, but PRS actually did it, and really competes with classic Fender or Gibson designs.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I never thought they were heavy or bulky either. It is pretty hard to make a lasting design, but PRS actually did it, and really competes with classic Fender or Gibson designs.
                    I stand corrected. I just browsed sweetwater and most of them are 8 pound guitars. I thought they were 9+ slabs.

Comment

I dont hate them, but they don't put Floyds on them afaik. And they are heavy and bulky.

They are kinda regressive. Its basically a double cut LP design with better upper fret access, nicer tops, and a higher price tag.
                      And they're a little lighter, thinner and have easier access up the neck where the body meets the neck than a Les Paul.

First time i saw a PRS it reminded me of a double cutaway Les Paul Jr. with a carved flame maple top top and finished like a 59 Les Paul.

Comment

I remember playing a PRS back in the late 80's that a buddy of mine borrowed from another friend of his. Killer guitar. One of these days, if I hit the lottery, I'll see if I can't find an old one just like it.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I always felt the PRS design was a nice midpoint between traditional Fender and Gibson paradigms.
                          I've been a PRS fan ever since I got my first one back in '87. I still have that guitar, and it's still one of my favorites.

PRSs with a Floyd Rose are fairly rare but they do exist. You just need to look for them.
                          I think there's even been at least one economy model with a Floyd on it.

IMO the PRS feel is generally quite different indeed from a Les Paul.
                          Although I have one - a Starla - that reminds me a little bit of a Les Paul Special.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

What are you even talking about?

Anyway the older CE’s are nicer than the 2016 on up ones as they have recessed knobs and better hardware/ electronics. They have cut down on appointments for the newer ones to keep them at a reasonable price for US made. That looks like a good one, enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                              Check out a dude named Boscoe France. He’s a blues rock guy from Kentucky, great player and singer.

Also add David Grissom to the list, Alex Lifeson and Larry Lalonde for extended periods, and a lot of really innovative if not virtuoustic players.

I love that there’s no baggage with a PRS. Nobody expects Jimi, SRV, Duane Allman, etc
                              Can't get Jimi or SRV Strat tones out of a PRS.

But I've been chasing some Duane Allman tones. My guess is Duane liked the pickups in his '57 goldtop best of all, and the story is that when he got the 59 sunburst he kept the 57 pickups and put them in the 59.

To me, alnico 2 and alnico 4 get closer to Duane's Les Paul sound than alnico 5 and I have a set of Seth Lovers with rough alnico 4 in one of my PRS SE Singlecuts and a set of 59's with rough A2 in a different one.

They get close.

Don't know what Duane used in his SG. Probably whatever it came with. A5.

Comment

for duane stuff, he did pull the gold tops pups and put em in the cherry burst. almost no chance the 57 pups had a4. im sure the sg had stock pups, i think the dark burst did as well, supposedly they were pretty hot pafs but who knows

Comment

Working...
                                X