banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hollow Point intonation system for Floyd Rose ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollow Point intonation system for Floyd Rose ??

Have you used it? Opinions?
    Who took my guitar?

I have it on one of my guitars. The sales pitch makes you believe it is the next best thing since sliced bread, it is not. It just simply works perfectly, makes the intonation a lot easier and faster and in my opinion it looks awesome. Haven't noticed anything about the mass=sustain bit they claim. Generally speaking it is true, just not in this case since the difference in weight is just not big enough to make an audible difference. Also, the Black Cherry guys are a nice bunch, had a pleasant time dealing with them. It is especially useful if you change your tunings or string gauges around a lot. It really is a no brainer mod, because it is completely reversible.

Comment

I completely forgot about those. When they first came out I'd planned on getting one set to try sometime,,,,,,,just never did.
      Now being much more settled on my gauges and tunings the need just isn't there for me, and bumping a saddle back or forward only takes a couple minutes total anyways.

The one thing these really have going for them is their ease of preciseness.
      Not every newer tech/player can set them right without over/under-shooting the adjustments a few times back and forth lol,,,,,,,,,it can be very frustrating until you get the touch.

These fancy gadgets don't take away the fact that when you set intonation; the relief, action, bridge-angle, and note-pitch(tension) all have to be dialed-in exactly how you are going to run them,,,, otherwise the saddle adjustments will be a waste of time.
      Last edited by dave74; 08-20-2020, 04:05 AM.

Comment

They look neat but I have no use for them since I don't change tuning, string gauge or brand on my Floyds. It's pretty much set and forget with FR's if you don't change those things. I do want to get "The Key intonation tool" though for whenever I do need to set the intonation on any new ones in the future. I would imagine they could change your tone and sustain though. I noticed a subtle difference just by putting a D-Tuna on my guitar and I wasn't expecting anything like that or even ever heard anyone mention it before.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. 80's View Post
          They look neat but I have no use for them since I don't change tuning, string gauge or brand on my Floyds. It's pretty much set and forget with FR's if you don't change those things. I do want to get "The Key intonation tool" though for whenever I do need to set the intonation on any new ones in the future. I would imagine they could change your tone and sustain though. I noticed a subtle difference just by putting a D-Tuna on my guitar and I wasn't expecting anything like that or even ever heard anyone mention it before.
          Yes, everyone should get one. I don't think it would be possible to get a really accurate intonation moving the saddle by hand, and you would have to completely slack the string to do so. The key will let you set intonation while under tension.

I didn't know thost hollow points were a thing. It looks like you still have to slack the string to move the saddle. (yeah, just checked it out, you slack the string by divebombing, move the saddle using the hollow point, bring back to pitch, tune, test, repeat. That is probably more work than using the key.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Yes, everyone should get one. I don't think it would be possible to get a really accurate intonation moving the saddle by hand, and you would have to completely slack the string to do so. The key will let you set intonation while under tension.

I didn't know thost hollow points were a thing. It looks like you still have to slack the string to move the saddle. (yeah, just checked it out, you slack the string by divebombing, move the saddle using the hollow point, bring back to pitch, tune, test, repeat. That is probably more work than using the key.
            The Key does look awesome, simple to use and extremely affordable. There's really no reason not to have one if you deal with FR's. The next time I need to order anything I need to snatch one up even if I don't use it for a long while. At Least then I'll have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

I have both. The Key is definitely more finicky to use. The main reason to get The Key instead of Hollow Points is that you can use it for all of your guitars whereas you have to buy separate sets of HPs for each guitars.

But you have to slacken the strings anyway you do it. You just simply cannot move the saddle backwards without it or if you can, you'll pull the string shapr and have to adjust the tuning peg. Also with The Key you have to take your time finding the right amount of force with which you put it on the bridge, because if the force is not enough the moment you loosen the saddle the string will pull it forward and if its too much, the whole assembly will move in the other direction. Also, if your saddle and/or string is not slack enough, you can still turn the Key's thumbwheel, but instead of moving the saddle, the assembly will start to "sit up" or fall off and if you don't notice it, you'll be scratching your head why the intonation stayed the same.That wiggling around simply cannot happen with the HP.

So to sum it up, if you have a FR guitar which you tune around quite a bit or if you're a sucker for the looks, hget the Hollow Points. If you just need something for an occasional setup, the Keyy will suffice, just take take your time learning to use it.

Comment

Working...
              X