banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take you to tune a Floyd Rose or floating tremolo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    The "Red" springs must be popular. They're sold out. And the titanium claw is listed as unavailable. That thing would have been cool.
    Try eBay or Reverb. You can get authentic FR springs from an authorized dealer as well.

Comment

Thanks. I'll check that out.

BTW, StewMac has them but they charge $10 for shipping. These could be dropped in a bubble envelope for a couple bucks. I wonder if they know how much business they lose because of their shipping policy?

Sweet. Just got 'em on Amazon for $4.19. Apparently I had a credit that I didn't even know about.
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-25-2020, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        While I’ve got your attention....

What is the appropriate torque for the bridge string locking screws? I know they are easy to strip but I also don’t want strings letting go.
        Finger tight. Not farmer tight.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

And to amend the last statement, finger tight using the long end of the Allen key into the screw. And yes, let it set a bit, then snug up a 3/16 of a turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Finger tight. Not farmer tight.

Haha I’m great at farmer tight.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Never even dawned on me to just count winder turns.........would of been a huge time saver, but don't even have anything with a floating trem anymore, I'm sure I'll have another someday though, good tip.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Haha I’m great at farmer tight.
                And farmer tight is great at doing other things. That's when you use a locking washer, teflon tape, red loctite and a torque wrench on the window bolts of a bathysphere. Or something of that sort.

Comment

Well, the "red" noiseless springs are better. Three of them do what four regulars couldn't. And, with the trem claw not screwed in so far. (I also snagged the brass claw.) But there are still issues. The trem sits nice and flat with a real stable tune. But the trem arm is up in the air. If I palm the arm, I can barely touch the strings. This can't be right. I wonder if an Ibby Edge is supposed to be flat like an FR, or maybe have it's ass up in the air? Can anyone post a pic of a properly set up Ibanez Edge trem? This is a late 80's MIJ.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FR_springs-02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.8 KB ID:	6012632
                  Attached Files

Comment

Not to derail, but why do so many people use three springs in a triangle as opposed to something different?
                    Personally, I like using all five.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      Not to derail, but why do so many people use three springs in a triangle as opposed to something different?
                      Personally, I like using all five.

The theory is, it's a teensy bit longer, by virtue of being the hypotenuse of a triangle, rather than the base. Therefore, a bit more tension. Mostly, I think, it's because it looks cool. (Even though no one will ever see it.)

Comment

Well, shoot! I just watched an Ibby Edge trem setup vid, and his trem arm is even higher than mine!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ibby_Trem_vid.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	6012645

Comment

You’ve got all kinds of room to screw that claw in!

Baseplate flat, looks good. You can bend the bar closer to the body if you want.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Keep in mind that the edge trem in the vid is not the same model as yours.
                            You’re is an original edge the vid isn’t.
                            But, your trem angle looks good. Use that little notch to get it straight to the body.
                            As far as the bar angle, you can physically bend the bar to where you like it if you want but it’s angle is what it is. I have an edge and I feel like the bar is too close to the body. It hits the volume knob when I depress it.

Comment

This is interesting that you all are talking about actually bending the bar. I could do that, but it still makes me wonder how this thing came from the factory. If I was going to keep this for myself, I'd wedge a Jenga block in there, and call it a day. But I want to sell this thing, and I want it to be correct as possible for a potential buyer.

And PFD . . . the more I screw in the claw, the higher the arm goes. The opposite of what I'm going for.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                                This is interesting that you all are talking about actually bending the bar. I could do that, but it still makes me wonder how this thing came from the factory. If I was going to keep this for myself, I'd wedge a Jenga block in there, and call it a day. But I want to sell this thing, and I want it to be correct as possible for a potential buyer.

And PFD . . . the more I screw in the claw, the higher the arm goes. The opposite of what I'm going for.
                                No, it’s good now, I mean with the lighter springs there’s still plenty of room to tighten more.

I miss the bar angle on the Floyd trademarked locking fender bridge I mentioned before. It was perfectly tight in the block, the angle kept it close to the body, spinning it around didn’t hit the body in the back, it was nice.
                                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X