String Gauge - D Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Gauge - D Standard

Responses will probably run the gamut, but curious what gauge strings people prefer for D standard tuning? I use 10-46s for Eb. I'd lie a similar feel in D standard and am thinking I should jump up to 11-49s? I think 10-52 is popular. What do you use?
    Last edited by PoorMan; 09-29-2020, 01:57 PM.
    Originally posted by Frankly
    PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
    Originally posted by Diocletian
    Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

11-49 is the easy suggestion and what i would do in your shoes. the 10-52 sets never really work for me, i keep trying every few years though, same result. meh

Comment

i like 10-52, but i always wish the gauge gradation was more even...the jump in thickness from the G to the D is always a bummer when you're soloing around those strings. If you like 10-46 at Eb 11s at D should be cool.
      Quality riffs in about a minute...
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

thats one of the things i dont like about the 10-52, its a 10 set with bigger wound strings. i really prefer 11, 15, 19, 28, 38, 54 for my 11 set but thats a pita to get regularly

Comment

It's worth it to me to fine tune my sets, so I choose each gauge individually and they run me about $12 per set. I play in D standard exclusively and I use 10s and 11s. My 10s set is 10,13.5,17,26,36,49 and my 11s set is 11,15,19,28,38,52. Remember, to get the equivalent tension between tunings, it's 1 full gauge per every whole step, or 1 half gauge per every half step change.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 10-05-2020, 03:57 AM.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

its not a cost issue, dr does it for free if you buy enough sets at a time. or at least did when i was ordering them. its just a pita to have everything setup and intonated for one set, then run out and have to use a normal set. this was much more of an issue when i was travelling and gigging more

Comment

I see.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

10-52 most of time, sometimes 10-56 depending on the guitar and my mood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Guitars:
                Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
                PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
                ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
                Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
                Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
                Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
                Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
                Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
                Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

I'd always go 11-49 for D standard, on any scale length. DR made a set that is 11-50 and was perfect - it was my go-to when I went through a long D/drop C phase years ago

Thanks a lot OP... LOOKS LIKE I'M BUYING MORE DR SETS

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

• EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                  • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                  • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                  • G&L Tribute Comanche
                  • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                  • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                  • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I'm a 10-50 man these days for D-standard. Buying bulk singles (sleeves of 12) from juststrings they end up just barely under $4/set after shipping (no tax from them in NH).
                    10-13-18w-28-38-50
                    I also use this same set on my full maple carvin (25")

Comment

Try .0105-.048 if you want to be as close to 10-46 in Eb as possible. I have a thing for 10-52 in D standard, especially in a short scale.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
                        Try .0105-.048 if you want to be as close to 10-46 in Eb as possible. I have a thing for 10-52 in D standard, especially in a short scale.
                        Yep!
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

10-50 Dunlop Heavy Cores.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I use 10-46 for D standard and drop C.

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
                              Responses will probably run the gamut, but curious what gauge strings people prefer for D standard tuning? I use 10-46s for Eb. I'd lie a similar feel in D standard and am thinking I should jump up to 11-49s? I think 10-52 is popular. What do you use?
                              I use 11's for my guitar that's in D Standard and it felt just right. I went to Drop C, and had to get used to the slack in the 6th string. I suspect I'd be going with 12's for C standard, and maybe 13's for B Standard.

Comment

Working...
                              X