banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Glen Campbell really like Ovation guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glen Campbell was a badass and could out-shred any of us here.

Comment

I would imagine anything Ovation was sending Glenn was top shelve stuff none of us would ever see let alone play. Mostly custom shop stuff and prototypes, So, yes he probably dug them he was playing some pretty sweet guitars.

Glenn and Roy Clark have to be the two most overlooked (by the general public, not on here) guitar players on the planet.

Comment

There were a couple of badace "shredders" using them back in the day, I've seen Al di Meola multiple times using one - https://youtu.be/2a2BvHIFKjg and JP has used them on occasion - https://youtu.be/61qEzmlw1vM

I have an 80's MIA steel string and a 90"s(?) MIK nylon string that are my acoustics, not sure they would be my first choices, I admit their acoustic sound leaves something to be desired, but they aren't bad guitars by any stretch. The thing that probably bothers me most about the steel string is the "V" shaped neck, not a huge fan of those.

Comment

in the glen campbell movie that came out a few years ago, there was a scene where he was on stage and following along on the teleprompter and it said "glen solo" or something like that. his disease was very advanced by this point and he read it out loud like it was part of the lyrics, then realized what it really meant and he tore into a fine solo. his facility on the guitar when his mental condition was so poor hints at how great he was and how deeply music was rooted in him. its not an easy movie to watch at points but very much worth watching

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            in the glen campbell movie that came out a few years ago, there was a scene where he was on stage and following along on the teleprompter and it said "glen solo" or something like that. his disease was very advanced by this point and he read it out loud like it was part of the lyrics, then realized what it really meant and he tore into a fine solo. his facility on the guitar when his mental condition was so poor hints at how great he was and how deeply music was rooted in him. its not an easy movie to watch at points but very much worth watching
            "I'm Not Gonna Miss You". Excellent.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I worked on a couple of his guitars back in the late 80s---a Strat and an Ovation solidbody (I don't remember which one). I used to hangout with Al Casey and he said Glen was one of the best pickers he ever heard.
              Last edited by SoPhx; 10-01-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

I use an Adamas, so I am biased. I think if a company is willing to build you anything you want, give them to you free, and pay you to play them (and give commission), you take the deal.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I use an Adamas, so I am biased. I think if a company is willing to build you anything you want, give them to you free, and pay you to play them (and give commission), you take the deal.
                  Fender had the chance to have Glen as an endorsee but they passed. So Glen went with Mosrite and then Ovation.

Forrest White says in his book, "Fender, The Inside Story", that around the summer of 1963 Glen expressed an interest to Forrest in being a "demonstrator" of Fender guitars. Don Randall shot it down saying "No, do not. These guys are a dime a dozen."

Forrest says that Glen went on to become a "demonstrator" of guitars for Fender's competitors, and did quite well!
                  Last edited by Lewguitar; 10-01-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

This is a video of the first time I saw Glen Campbell. It was on the Mike Douglas Show in 1965. I had just started playing the guitar a year or two before and I'd watch any guitar picker I could find. I'll never forget this performance.

Comment

The Ovation Addamas was Campbells babyI remember sitting around several times with former C Bruno rep Mike Amos and Neil Zaza when Neil was demoing Hamers. Glen came up several times as one of the C Bruno family everybody respected. Also talked about how involved Campbell was with the development of the Ovation Addamas series.
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                        The Ovation Addamas was Campbells babyI remember sitting around several times with former C Bruno rep Mike Amos and Neil Zaza when Neil was demoing Hamers. Glen came up several times as one of the C Bruno family everybody respected. Also talked about how involved Campbell was with the development of the Ovation Addamas series.
                        Would love to have an Adamas. Are they consistant? Graphite top and plastic back right? Do they all sound different despite this?

Comment

It was on Netflix, right? I remember watching that, pretty much brought me to tears. He was such an amazing talent, and growing up in the 70s he was all over TV on variety shows, etc... Also grew up listening to lots of Roy Clark thanks to my dad, great stuff.

Comment

That was painful

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

Would love to have an Adamas. Are they consistant? Graphite top and plastic back right? Do they all sound different despite this?
                              Mine is carbon fiber top, fiberglass back, and the neck is mahogany, maple and ebony. Just a very powerful, beautiful sound. You hear every individual note in dense chords. It isn't the wall of sound a Martin has...it is very different.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Music is managed by a different part of the brain than most other cognitive function. So as long as your affliction does not block motor ability, you can still pull off music, even if you cannot recognize your own mother.

Same reason autistic kids can be virtuosos on an instrument but cannot function as typical for someone their age.
                                Last edited by beaubrummels; 10-02-2020, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X