banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What s the difference between the 2 woods??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What s the difference between the 2 woods??

I was looking on the jackson site for the soloist serie and find the best one for me => the SL2H Soloist (jackson usa select series).
    but i saw immediatly that there were two SL2H (SL2H and SL2H-MAH).only one diffenrence ==> the body wood.
    one in alder and one in mahogany.Is there an important difference?
    what s the diffenrence of sound?can you describe it?Which one is the best for heavy metal or hard?Which one match the best with a DD and Which one makes the most crunch??

thanks for your answers
    Duncan Distortion Rules!!!

Re: What s the difference between the 2 woods??

Comment

i deard that papa roach (which i do love their sound) plays in an all mahogany body with a DD.i have never heard such a crunch sound!!
      In metallica, there is 2 guitars: an alder one and a mahogany one...so it doesn t help a lot.
      for you which one would match the best with the DD for a fat crunch (a lot) bright heavy metal sound??
      if the 2 models exist, there must be a good reason...

Comment

Originally posted by Distollica
        I was looking on the jackson site for the soloist serie and find the best one for me => the SL2H Soloist (jackson usa select series).
        but i saw immediatly that there were two SL2H (SL2H and SL2H-MAH).only one diffenrence ==> the body wood.
        one in alder and one in mahogany.Is there an important difference?
        what s the diffenrence of sound?can you describe it?Which one is the best for heavy metal or hard?Which one match the best with a DD and Which one makes the most crunch??

thanks for your answers

"Is there an important difference?"
        Well what do find important? Mahogany is a heavier type of wood, I like it mostly because it's one of the best sustaining woods out there. Like JJ said, warmer and rounder. I personally don't like the superheavy Mahogany some companies use, my Ibanez for example has one and it sustains as well as a set-neck guitar, but tends to have an enormous bass and mid response

"what s the diffenrence of sound?can you describe it?"
        JJ pretty much covered this one. A good comparison would be comparing a HH Fender Strat with a Gibson Les Paul (note the HH!).

"Which one is the best for heavy metal or hard?"
        I don't believe any of them are any better than the other, just different. Remember wood isn't the only factor on this one.

"Which one match the best with a DD and Which one makes the most crunch??"
        Hmm well mahogany IMO. The Distortion is bright so putting it in an Alder bodied guitar will make it brighter and more piercing. Putting it in a mahogany bodied axe, will give you a more balanced sound (a little fatter), and a crunchy slammy bottom end. Both of them will crunch very well, but Alder will make it more piercing.
        Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
        Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
        Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
        Marshall 2x12 Vintage
        Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

i have always play with rosewood fretboard, wha t s the difference with an ebony one?

Comment

Working...
          X