Should I buy an Ovation 12 string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy an Ovation 12 string?

I've been playing a lot of acoustic lately and I really want one BUT I wonder if it will be like one of those things you just have to have until you get it. Those of you with 12 strings, is it or was it worth the expense? Do you play it more or less than your 6? How expensive are string changes? How hard are they to keep in tune?

I use a Line 6 Variax acoustic 6 string that has a few 12-string models on there. Super easy to play, and sounds amazing recorded or through a PA. I don't think I'd own a regular 12 string, and most are uncomfortable to play (to me).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You own a Godin or two also don't you?
      A friend of mine in CR bought a 2008 Godin that was one of the sweetest guitars I've ever played.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Ovation acoustics unless you're standing and playing one with a strap, and even then, I'm not really that much of a fan. I just personally don't care for the way they sound. Those roundbacks are a b!tch to play sitting down. They slide off of you. At least they do me. I've had a Yamaha fgx412c-12 12 string for about 20 years. I love the sound of it, and I love playing it, but I rarely do. If I'm going to play acoustic I grab my Taylor, and if I want to play a 12 string I grab my electric Gretsch that I recently purchased. As far as string changes, I use Elixirs on my acoustic 12, and I think they're about $20-$25 or so. Like most guitars, keeping it in tune really isn't a problem as long as it isn't a total piece of crap.

Comment

They are a ***** to play but I do like the sound. I can hear each note when I strum it.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
            I've been playing a lot of acoustic lately and I really want one BUT I wonder if it will be like one of those things you just have to have until you get it. Those of you with 12 strings, is it or was it worth the expense? Do you play it more or less than your 6? How expensive are string changes? How hard are they to keep in tune?
            Is the one you're considering a US made Ovation or an import? I'm actually a fan of Ovations but as Jolly says, they're hard to play sitting down. Especially if you have a bit of a belly. A strap is a must. They use shims under the bridge saddle to adjust the string ht. so getting them to play easily is not difficult. Just remove a shim to lower the action or add one to raise it. Can you try it first or is this going to be an online purchase?
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

It's online. I don't like that but things are different for me these days.
              I think I might shy away from it because it just may be a passing fancy.

Comment

i had an ovation 12 string for years and as long you were standing or at least using a strap it was a great sounding and playing guitar. i currently have a '68 guild f212 which is everything anyone could want in a 12 string. i barely play it though, mostly because i dont play acoustic much at all. string changes arent bad and both stayed in tune just fine

Comment

My first acoustic 12 was a Yamaha F412, which I still have. Sounds great but weather/age has made it not set up and play in tune these days. My most recent acoustic 12 is a Guild F412, which is the quintessential acoustic 12 sound. I've played friends Ovations and I found the string spacing hard for me to play. Didn't care for the bowl back and the unique midrage barking sound they have, though they were the first acoustic you could plug into an amp that didn't feedback. If you plan to play live and need to plug in, Ovation is a good solution. If you just want an acoustic that sounds and plays good, there are numerous better options, IMO. As far as keeping it in tune, consider the old joke...

Q "How long does it take a folk singer to tune a 12-string guitar?"

A. "Nobody knows."

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                    You own a Godin or two also don't you?
                    A friend of mine in CR bought a 2008 Godin that was one of the sweetest guitars I've ever played.
                    I own a Godin Multiac 6 string. It doesn't sound great in a room, but plugged in, it is magnificent, which is why I got it.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Q "How long does it take a folk singer to tune a 12-string guitar?"

A. "Nobody knows."
                      Good one! That might be why I don't own one. I like the sound but they only stay in tune for one song. And even then, they're not really in tune.

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

It's a passing fancy. Nobody ever fights over the twelve string at any party I've gone to.

Comment

I was on a 12 string kick a few years ago
                          the Taylor 12s sound phenomenol
                          Played the Guild
                          Eastman
                          And Taylor

Taylor was just in a different category altogether
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Taylor is very nice indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
                              Taylor is very nice indeed.
                              What I really want is a big baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X