No announcement yet.

Vintage Strat Advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those 70s 3 bolt Strats are simply not worth that much. They weren't great guitars like the 60s models. They made several cost-cutting measures that simply didn't make a better guitar. Other than a possible Ritchie Blackmore connection (he used a similar color, although with black plastic), it just isn't a valuable instrument.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

ive played some late 70 fenders that were good playing and sounding guitars that id happily own, but not for that kinda money

Comment

Thank you all for the advice, after asking a few guys at my work and contacts I have they agree with consensus on here so I bought this instead for less than half of the cost of the Strat.

This is MIJ full fat ESP not LTD and I got it for £900 which is about $1200
        I’ll do a proper NGD when I get my dirty paws on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Guitars:
        Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
        PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
        ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
        Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
        Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
        Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
        Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
        Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
        Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

Over here there's a '79 strat in perfect condition for 1999 euros and it's a 4 bolt (25th anniversary model)
          Appears to be as new.

If you REALLY want a '79 strat...and I'd consider even that's overpriced.

Comment

Nice, enjoy!

Comment

Good move going with the ESP over the Strat. I got an LTD M-1000 recently, and it's a great guitar.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Wow, that ESP is a very different guitar from the Strat. Maybe you didn't want a Strat at all....good choice, though.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

+2, better move going with the ESP if not for the sheer step up in beauty and playability (IMO) even though it is quite a different beast!

If you bought a new Strat yourself and naturally relic'd it that's one thing. Not worth it for someone else's beat up player

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

• EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                  • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                  • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                  • G&L Tribute Comanche
                  • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                  • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                  • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
                    +2, better move going with the ESP if not for the sheer step up in beauty and playability (IMO) even though it is quite a different beast!

If you bought a new Strat yourself and naturally relic'd it that's one thing. Not worth it for someone else's beat up player

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
                    Yeah I’ve got a staff purchase request for one of the road worn vintera (MIM) strata with a nitro finish and may get a Jimi strat and make a frakenstrat of that instead.

Guitars:
                    Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
                    PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
                    ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
                    Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
                    Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
                    Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
                    Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
                    Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
                    Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

Much better choice for the money.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 6stringerguy View Post
                        Thank you all for the advice, after asking a few guys at my work and contacts I have they agree with consensus on here so I bought this instead for less than half of the cost of the Strat.

This is MIJ full fat ESP not LTD and I got it for £900 which is about $1200
                        I’ll do a proper NGD when I get my dirty paws on it.

Much much better use of the money. Something you can play and work with and doesn't need repair right away.

Comment

Working...
                        X