New (old) guitar day! PRS SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (old) guitar day! PRS SE

So I traded my PRS SE Nick Catanese for a PRS SE Paul Allender! I never really did like the neck profile on the NC, but the neck profile on the PA is fantastic! It's really thin and fast. Thinner than the Thin U in my LTD. I love it!

It plays great, and it sounds super evil with the Black Winter I put in the bridge. The neck pickup for now is an EMG HZ H4. I did try the H4A in it briefly too, but it was too weak. The H4 is almost as weak, though. Pretty underwhelming pickups. I definitely need something else in the neck position.

I also replaced the crappy PRS stock tuners for some cheapie Gotoh, and the improvement was massive.

Anyway, here it is!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201027_084022.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.1 KB ID:	6024867
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-27-2020, 09:00 AM.

Nice
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

That there is a beautiful guitar...congrats!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That just proves there should be more purple guitars in the world, congrats.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Thank you dudes! Any recommendations for replacing that H4 in the neck? The safe bet would be BW-N, but I also kinda want to try some other stuff out.

Comment

Beaute
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Most of the signature stuff got different necks from the standard line by a lot. The Vernon reed has a very pronounced hard v shape and the dustie waring is even thinner than the pattern thin by a little. I wonder if the allender has the same thin neck.

I’m gonna recommend a sentient for the neck, splits well and is bright yet full. Like a best of the 59 & jazz.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, dudes!

I'm not sure I'd dig the Sentient. The H4 is 13KOhms, and it has a ceramic magnet. I'm almost certain the Sentient will be even more underpowered. That, and I don't like either the 59 or the Jazz, LOL.

But yeah. I'm also thinking this neck profile is not something standard in the PRS range. It's quite thin. A lot thinner than the LTD Thin U. I'm also suspecting the fretboard radius is not the usual clunky PRS 10". It feels much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  Thanks for the replies, dudes!

I'm not sure I'd dig the Sentient. The H4 is 13KOhms, and it has a ceramic magnet. I'm almost certain the Sentient will be even more underpowered. That, and I don't like either the 59 or the Jazz, LOL.

But yeah. I'm also thinking this neck profile is not something standard in the PRS range. It's quite thin. A lot thinner than the LTD Thin U. I'm also suspecting the fretboard radius is not the usual clunky PRS 10". It feels much faster.
                  Black Winter, or try the Distortion in the neck.

Comment

Thank you dudes! Any recommendations for replacing that H4 in the neck? The safe bet would be BW-N, but I also kinda want to try some other stuff out.
                    This depends on what you don't like about the current pickup and what you'd like to hear & feel out of a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

This depends on what you don't like about the current pickup and what you'd like to hear & feel out of a new one.
                      I don't like the current one being too underpowered. I like the overall EQ curve (kinda like a weaker EMG 81), but I'd like more power.

Black Winter Neck would be the safest bet, but I want to try other stuff out as well. I also like the SH-6N. Is there anything in the Duncan lineup that's blistering hot and upper-mid-focused for the neck position?

Comment

I don't like the current one being too underpowered. I like the overall EQ curve (kinda like a weaker EMG 81), but I'd like more power.

Black Winter Neck would be the safest bet, but I want to try other stuff out as well. I also like the SH-6N. Is there anything in the Duncan lineup that's blistering hot and upper-mid-focused for the neck position?
                        I'd throw either a Screamin Demon, or JB in there.

Comment

JB in the neck! Hadn't thought about that... it would look killer with a gold-covered JB, no?

Comment

Working...
                          X