No announcement yet.

Squier Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It certainly looks cool, if a little backwards.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Bad picture
      could you flip it right and retake it

Is that a 2 tone or three

Black guard would set it off

Tortoise
      Mmmm yeah tortoise
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	g7.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	6034812

Looking a 2-tones, it's definitely a 3.

I've had issues with pg replacements before - right size, wrong screw placement - so stays for now.

Comment

I've used those sanding sponges on my necks. Three of my four necks are Roasted Maple and the other is Rosewood so no finish is on them which makes it easy.. I took a, 330 grit I believe' sponge and ran it up and down the neck edges and it does a great job on the fret ends at the same time. The frets look very nicely rounded on the ends, smooth , and the neck is lightly rolled..
          10 minutes and its done.. Sure you need to pay attention to what you are doing but it is a relatively simple process.
          Would work the same on your Rosewood board ...
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0472.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.4 KB ID:	6035065Frets pictured are actually Gold EVO 6105's
          click to enlarge
          Last edited by TD9; 12-04-2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Get some contact paper from Walmart
            cover it and trim the same one

You could try several looks until you settle
            EHD

Comment

Originally posted by TD9 View Post
              I've used those sanding sponges on my necks. Three of my four necks are Roasted Maple and the other is Rosewood so no finish is on them which makes it easy.. I took a, 330 grit I believe' sponge and ran it up and down the neck edges and it does a great job on the fret ends at the same time. The frets look very nicely rounded on the ends, smooth , and the neck is lightly rolled..
              10 minutes and its done.. Sure you need to pay attention to what you are doing but it is a relatively simple process.
              Would work the same on your Rosewood board ...
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0472.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.4 KB ID:	6035065Frets pictured are actually Gold EVO 6105's
              click to enlarge
              330 eh? I suppose that I've been using too fine a grit on mine.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                330 eh? I suppose that I've been using too fine a grit on mine.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                It was just the finest I happened to have on hand.. It was either 330 or 380.. I'd have to check ..But it wasn't any finer than that. Seemed to do a good job though. I use the sanding sponges mostly for sanding the body roundovers and such.. They compress to the curves and roundovers so you don't get any lines and your edge roundovers look really smooth and beautifully "rounded".. I think the sponges are fantastic for that work..
                They seem to do a heck of a job on the fret ends from my perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by TD9 View Post
                  They seem to do a heck of a job on the fret ends from my perspective.
                  They certainly seem to have done a great job in the photo. Definitely something to look into knowing those sponges exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post

They certainly seem to have done a great job in the photo. Definitely something to look into knowing those sponges exist.
                    It just seems to me to be a very good way to do the job.. How long would it take a person to do a fret end job with a file?? It takes like 10 minutes with a sanding sponge and the results are very uniform and smooth....
                    I don't happen to have a neck that has any finish on the fret board but that would need to be taken into consideration for a finished neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      Start with the inexpensive stuff like tuners . . .
                      That's kind of interesting. I've never thought of tuners as being inexpensive. In fact, I have a few flea-market guitars that were less than some tuner sets that I've purchased. That might not be a good example. The tuners were new. The junk-yard dogs . . . not so much.

Comment

Well, compared to a bridge or a set of pickups, yeah, they are pretty inexpensive. Not compared to pots, strap locks, or a nut.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

That's kind of interesting. I've never thought of tuners as being inexpensive. In fact, I have a few flea-market guitars that were less than some tuner sets that I've purchased. That might not be a good example. The tuners were new. The junk-yard dogs . . . not so much.
                          Chinese locking tuner copies can be surprisingly decent (at least Kmise were)

Although, depending on the Squier model, you may need to ream the holes (if the originals are those cheapie trapezoid tuners)
                          Last edited by Adieu; 12-05-2020, 11:43 PM.
                          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

Chinese locking tuner copies can be surprisingly decent (at least Kmise were)

Although, depending on the Squier model, you may need to ream the holes (if the originals are those cheapie trapezoid tuners)
                            Nope. Round.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	h8.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	6035513

Comment

I've had hit and miss luck with the Asian locking tuners

The super cheap $20 sets on Amazon aren't any good

The Korean made JinHo made ones ar much better
                              Guyker, K&D, are good as well
                              EHD

Comment

If you replace the tuners, use the vintage style ones, where the end of the string goes down into the post. Still my favorite by far, and they look good.
                                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                                X