Favorite 1 pickup guitars and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite 1 pickup guitars and why?

Title says it all. I'm intrigued by this design. Who has 1 pickup guitars and digs them? Whether you've got a classic LP Junior or built your own from parts, I'd love to hear your experiences!
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

got two. an esquire i made in 2001 (or around then) with the pup i wound at the first user group day. and a turner model t baritone. old esquire pic and stock photo of the model 1 but mines basically the same with a longer scale length
    Click image for larger version  Name:	turner_modelt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.2 KB ID:	6028500
    Attached Files

Comment

I have two late-eighties Kramer Baretta I models. I somehow don't have photos of either available at present, but they are look like the top guitar here...

Click image for larger version

Name:	cat87b.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	6028517

...with one being black with a maple fretboard and the other candy apple red with a rosewood fretboard. Both have vintage JBs in the bridge. The last is a new acquisition, but I can see it taking the spot of the black as my favourite guitar. Whilst a neck pickup can be nice, for my purposes I often find that they sound "farty" and are lacking in timbral detail, so I rarely use them anyway. The guitars are simple, but exactly what I need. I do wish that the volume pots were in the same spot as on strats (here they are slightly further away), and if I had to choose I would probably have gone for a straight humbucker rather than a slanted one, but that is nitpicking. I kind of wish that I could say that playing them forces me to be creative to work through artificial limitations, but I can't really say so, since tone knobs and neck pickups don't come natural to me in the first place. Conversely, I never feel like I am missing out on anything whilst playing them.

Comment

My main guitars for actual gigging have always been single pickup guitars.

I have the following models:

Fender Esquire style (3 – tan, black, and translucent green)
        Les Paul Junior (2 – burst and yellow)
        G&L Rampage (black)
        Gibson ES-335 Studio (metallic blue)
        Yamaha Pacifica 510V (Sonic Blue)

For live gigging, I will often use a Tele, and never take it off of the bridge pickup. But I have my Teles wires like Esquires in positions 1 and 2, and when I play Esquires, I don't often use the 3rd position anyhow. So not much real-world difference between Teles and Esquires when I play live.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Same pic from the Invader thread, a Gibson V90.

Why? 24 fret Gibson V, Floyd, nice appointments.

Comment

The only true 1-pickup guitars I have are Melody Makers, and yes I dig them. Single-pickup guitars sound different. I get dramatically different sounds just moving my picking hand around, up over the fretboad and back to right by the bridge (almost don't need a neck pickup), which I don't get quite as wide a difference when the guitar has 2 or more pickups in it and only using the bridge alone.

Comment

I like the neck pickup

Wasn't there a Tele with just a neck pickup?

I had a Yamaha version of the Kramer above

I liked it back in the day
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I only have one one pickup guitar my MIJ Ibanez Iceman. It now has a 498 in it and it really isn't one pickup seeing the bridge is a Fishman piezo. It is finished off with Spezel tuners and a Tonestyler tone knob.

Name:	dsc04131.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	6028560

Comment

Bigsby?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

There can be only one

Name:	wc9vz4hr2tzzcue8s4ri.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	6028578
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I like the ones that are neck only. Like ahhh, ummm.....

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        got two. an esquire i made in 2001 (or around then) with the pup i wound at the first user group day. and a turner model 1 baritone. old esquire pic and stock photo of the model 1 but mines basically the same with a longer scale length.
                        Jeremy . . . isn't that a Model T? Isn't the Model 1 what Lindsey Buckingham plays?

Comment

Here is a stock photo of the most recent addition to my one-pickup guitar stable. I plan on making a single ply black guard for it.

It comes stock with a high output Duncan P Rail, with a three-way switch that gives you P90, series, or rail. Wilkinson VS50 bridge. Grover locking tuners. 13 3/4" radius. Quite a collection of parts for a $500 retail price. I got mine cheaper, of course...but even at retail price, they're a good bang for the buck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	yamaha_pac510v_sob.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.1 KB ID:	6028599
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                            Here is a stock photo of the most recent addition to my one-pickup guitar stable. I plan on making a single ply black guard for it.

It comes stock with a high output Duncan P Rail, with a three-way switch that gives you P90, series, or rail. Wilkinson VS50 bridge. Grover locking tuners. 13 3/4" radius. Quite a collection of parts for a $500 retail price. I got mine cheaper, of course...but even at retail price, they're a good bang for the buck.

Click image for larger version Name:	yamaha_pac510v_sob.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.1 KB ID:	6028599
                            Wow, I haven't seen this version! What a great idea!
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I used to have one of these, and I miss it. It was a beast. I gigged it without a case for a year and it never let me down. At the time I was not concerned with having a neck pickup whatsoever (and to this day, I rarely use one) and I loved the look of it. Mine had a white invader in the bridge. I'll see if I can find an actual picture of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X