A question about switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about switches

I'm wiring a 3 hum guitar for coil tapping and I want to switch between coils. I want them to each be independent so I'll install 3 switches. I ordered DPDT & SPDT switches but I don't think this is right. What switches would you recommend?

To SPLIT (not "tap") one humbucker, you only need a SPST switch but a SPDT is fine. If you want to split two pups with the same switch you need a DPDT switch (you'd only really need a DPST switch, but I've never seen one, even though I'm sure they must exist).

I always use DPDT mainly because they are so readily available.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      To SPLIT (not "tap") one humbucker, you only need a SPST switch but a SPDT is fine. If you want to split two pups with the same switch you need a DPDT switch (you'd only really need a DPST switch, but I've never seen one, even though I'm sure they must exist).

I always use DPDT mainly because they are so readily available.
      Would I still be able to access each coil independently?

Comment

three position on off on spdt switches
        x3

up = full hum
        down = split coil
        middle = off

can be done with 3 three postion spdt switches
        or 3 three postion dpdt switches
        but they must be on off on
        not
        on on on
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

To choose which coil of each pickup independently, you'd need 3 SPDT on-on-on switches. Or just get 3 triple-shots.

Comment

Good grief... Am I going to need 7 switches on this thing?

I think I'm going to order 3 of each and experiment. I can't use the triple shots because they're minis.

Comment

I misread your original post. Like Ehd said, you'll need a DPDT on-off-on switch for each pup (you can do it with SPDT but I prefer DPDT). You can split to either coil but you won't be able to get series humbucker. If you want to get the full series affect (both coils on) then you won't be able to split to both of the coils, you'd have to choose which coil you want to split to. Or you could use a DPDT on-on-on switch for each pup and you could get series, split, and parallel in each pup. IMO this is a much better option anyway since there isn't much difference in the sound of one coil versus the other coil in most pups. So it kinda depends on which pups you have and which tonal options you want.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                IMO this is a much better option anyway since there isn't much difference in the sound of one coil versus the other coil in most pups.
                I agree. The primary reason for splitting to either coil is simply so you can learn the difference for yourself, rather than relying on other peoples opinions of what sounds best. I've never left this as a permanent option in any guitar except one. It's my "test bed" guitar.

Comment

I think I may have been a little over the top wanting to be able to choose coils.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                    Good grief... Am I going to need 7 switches on this thing?

I think I'm going to order 3 of each and experiment. I can't use the triple shots because they're minis.
                    Are these Firebird minis? Or Gibson-style screw-coil minis? Or Strat-blade mini humbuckers? Only the latter two can be split, and the value of splitting the Strat type might be questionable.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Are these Firebird minis? Or Gibson-style screw-coil minis? Or Strat-blade mini humbuckers? Only the latter two can be split, and the value of splitting the Strat type might be questionable.
                      They're cheapo Wilkinson M series

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X