No announcement yet.

Pick two - Strat, Tele, Jazzmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live dangerously. Get a Duo-Sonic or a Mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      The telecaster body is effectively an old cutting board with a neck strapped to it.
      I'm getting a great idea for a new build...
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

I'm getting a great idea for a new build...
        Something like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	188713-74f29754df01706c0103f81fca51d506.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	6037677
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Tele and a strat or two different strats.

Because I prefer the scale length, looks and they sound good. In the case of the tele I don't like a typical neck pickup though.
          Currently having two teles and a strat I'd go for two strats with different woods or pickup layouts...but then Jazzmasters are just plain ugly to me.

Comment

Get the Jazzmaster. They’re weird, but there’s no reason you can’t play any style of music on one.

Strat and Tele are kind of must haves for me, though.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

2 guitars only? I'd prefer a Jazzmaster -I love the sound of the (originally higher end) J8 pickups -and a modern Tele Deluxe (Strat Neck with HH). Strat classic tones are too played out for me. If you get a Strat -get one with at least humbucker or some less stratty pickups.... otherwise your going to sound too many other people.

Jazzmaster Guitars play different, they are not everyone's cup of tea -play all three.... reissues of vintage Fender styles (50s and 60s) are going to have thicker burlier necks, fretboard radius that is 7 to 9 inches where the convex shape is heavily pronounced, and narrower/thinner neck widths -good for cowboys chords but feel gross in most peoples hands for walking around on the fretboard.... I'd look at more modern neck profiles 1970s and newer with 10+ radius or even more of a flat Gibson style profile or 12" or 15"+ for shredding and noting.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
                Tele and a strat or two different strats.

Because I prefer the scale length, looks and they sound good. In the case of the tele I don't like a typical neck pickup though.
                Currently having two teles and a strat I'd go for two strats with different woods or pickup layouts...but then Jazzmasters are just plain ugly to me.
                What do you mean by mentioning scale length here? All three of these guitars have the same scale length.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post

What do you mean by mentioning scale length here? All three of these guitars have the same scale length.
                  Thought the Jazzmasters had a shorter scale, my mistake

Comment

The Jaguar has the same body, but a shorter scale length.
                    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Strat and Tele. They are the classics for a reason.

On another note, I wonder if I should get rid of a Strat in favor for a Jazzmaster?
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
                        The Jaguar has the same body, but a shorter scale length.

Comment

Welp, I found a used Fender Jazzmaster at Guitar Center and brought 'er home. Here she is along with a shot of my buddy's MIA Telecaster and my Frankenstrat. What better way to compare than to, well, compare?

The Jazzmaster has what looks to be P90s - bar magnets on the bottom and adjustable polepieces - rather than traditional Jazzmaster pickups with alnico rods.

EDIT: the Strat/Tele photo is embarrassingly small. If you click on it, it should come up in full size.
                          Attached Files
                          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face

Comment

Welp, I found a used Fender Jazzmaster at Guitar Center and brought 'er home. Here she is along with a shot of my buddy's MIA Telecaster and my Frankenstrat. What better way to compare than to, well, compare?

The Jazzmaster has what looks to be P90s - bar magnets on the bottom and adjustable polepieces - rather than traditional Jazzmaster pickups with alnico rods.

EDIT: the Strat/Tele photo is embarrassingly small. If you click on it, it should come up in full size.
                            Awesome Guitar man!

Jazzmaster has Fender J8 pickups -not P90s -they are brighter, crisp and crunchier and are chimey -Think Sonic Youth, Elvis Costello, The Ventures lead parts, Flaming Lips, Dinosaur Jr, My Bloody Valentine, Television, The Smiths

P90s are more mids loud and bluesy/jazzy.

Both are awesome. This video sort of goes over it -although who pics a Tele with an F hole to do a pickup A/B comparison.

Last edited by NegativeEase; 12-12-2020, 05:58 PM.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Awesome Guitar man!

Jazzmaster has Fender J8 pickups -not P90s -they are brighter, crisp and crunchier and are chimey -Think Sonic Youth, Elvis Costello, The Ventures lead parts, Flaming Lips, Dinosaur Jr, My Bloody Valentine, Television, The Smiths

P90s are more mids loud and bluesy/jazzy.

Both are awesome. This video sort of goes over it -although who pics a Tele with an F hole to do a pickup A/B comparison.

Do you have any more info on Fender J8 pickups? I can't find anything. Here's a photo of the pickups. I should've taken one of the bottom, but it has two bar magnets.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Do you have any more info on Fender J8 pickups? I can't find anything. Here's a photo of the pickups. I should've taken one of the bottom, but it has two bar magnets.
                                All Jazzmaster Pickups are technically "J8s" -they just don't call them that -I think J8 is from the original factory part numbers. It's all Jazzmaster pickups -they are awesome and legendary. That's what you have .... awesome guitar.

Originally, once Fender offered multiple models -the Jazzmaster guitar was designed to be the highest end guitar from Fender, Strat was the Mid priced guitar and Tele was the basic level -all built to sell in conjunction with their amps when possible.

It just so happens that RocknRoll didn't really require the luthier appointments of old (arch tops, set back angles on headstocks, expensive woods, fulcrum/pin bridge systems-and Fender was poised to leverage that because the pickups are 90% of the sound -which was their specialty.

Comment

Working...
                                X