Modding the Kramer Baretta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modding the Kramer Baretta

In the category of “can’t leave well enough alone” I’m in the process of again modding the Kramer Baretta.

The zebra pick up was nice but the way that the pole pieces don’t lineup with strings at all really irritated me and I thought the zebra color scheme made it more obvious. So now moving to an all black JB.

In addition I felt like while the guitar was fine with just the volume knob there were possibilities going un “tapped”, so to speak… So I figured I would add a tone knob and also on-on-on mini-switch so I can run the JB in series, north coil, and parallel. So far I’ve got the holes. Just waiting on the pots...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Love that color, and I would add a tone knob, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Gonna rawk
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

This is almost off-topic, but I have to add it, and I have to restrain myself from not doing this in all-caps. Everyone: this is a modern Baretta; if you own a vintage one, please don't do irreversible modifications to them. I wish I didn't have to say this, but I've seen so many people do just this, and it always breaks my heart a little, since there aren't that many of the vintage ones out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
          This is almost off-topic, but I have to add it, and I have to restrain myself from not doing this in all-caps. Everyone: this is a modern Baretta; if you own a vintage one, please don't do irreversible modifications to them. I wish I didn't have to say this, but I've seen so many people do just this, and it always breaks my heart a little, since there aren't that many of the vintage ones out there.
          I honestly couldn't even do it to a new modern one like this one myself. It's sad how many people butcher and part out vintage Kramers, so it's good someone like you tries to speak up to stop the madness. A concentric pot or just a push/pull and roll the vol back a little instead of adding tone knob and mini toggle. Would have looked much better but even that defeats the simplicity of the Baretta IMHO. 1 knob one HB, rock out. Anyways TS it's your guitar an I hope you like it once done. I do still love the color.

Comment

It's a slant bucker, how did you expect pole pieces to line up with strings? Is that even geometrically possible?
            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Relax. Its a $170 guitar.

Yeah I’ve never had a slant humbucker so didn’t realize how off the strings would look.

-=The Dali

Comment

I appreciate the feedback though... I guess people really care about these cheap guitars (even the old ones).

I did consider concentric pots or push/pull, but then I saw this ESP on the internet and really liked the layout, and so I used it as a template.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wialsnicpy1k5jijvgim.jpg
Views:	2731
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	6039119
                -=The Dali

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
                  Relax. Its a $170 guitar.

Yeah I’ve never had a slant humbucker so didn’t realize how off the strings would look.

We know what it is and how much they cost, it's the principle of the matter. They slanted the buckers back then because trembuckers didn't exist and it made a standard space pup pole pieces line up better to the strings. It's all part of the design, don't fight it.

Comment

Thanks - yeah I actually initially used a Duncan trembucker in this and it REALLY didn't line up! The standard JB lines up a little better, and the all black helps IMO.
                    -=The Dali

Comment

As an aside... this guitar is REALLY nice. Good Lord... how do they make a guitar like this for $170. Aside from the (tuners and bridge, which are usable, but definitely something to upgrade) this thing is really nice. I guess when you only have one humbucker and one knob it does cut down on the costs LOL

The neck is much much nicer than expected. And the COLOR is great. I had the red one too and that was more pinkish-red and looked kinda cheap. This candy blue looks like a much more expensive finish.
                      Last edited by The Dali; 12-16-2020, 07:06 AM.
                      -=The Dali

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                        It’s his guitar; he can do as he pleases whether it’s a real 85 Baretta or 58 LP...

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post

It’s his guitar; he can do as he pleases whether it’s a real 85 Baretta or 58 LP...
                          Where did I say otherwise?

Comment

Those inexpensive Baretta Specials can be fun but as an owner of a 1988 Baretta, they are night and day to each other. All they share is the name. Heck, original Barettas didn't even have mahogany bodies. If I snagged one of those Specials, I'd want to slap a Floyd Rose on it and change out the pickup. Good mod platforms for sure.

Share pics when it's all done. I like the replacement bridge you have. Certainly better than the stock bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
                              As an aside... this guitar is REALLY nice. Good Lord... how do they make a guitar like this for $170. Aside from the (tuners and bridge, which are usable, but definitely something to upgrade) this thing is really nice. I guess when you only have one humbucker and one knob it does cut down on the costs LOL

The neck is much much nicer than expected. And the COLOR is great. I had the red one too and that was more pinkish-red and looked kinda cheap. This candy blue looks like a much more expensive finish.
                              They are really nice for the money for sure and yeah you don't want to stick a trembucker in it the spacing is just to wide in a slanted config. I've been really wanting to get one and stick a Zebra SD JB or Distortion in it and ditch the 6 point trem for like a 2 point Wilkinson or do the full FR upgrade. At that point I'd rather just get the Vintage Floyd version since it's my prefered trem/bridge. I do keep trying to convince myself I could live without it. lol Anyways, I'm just messing around giving you a hard time and not meaning to be rude. After all it's your guitar and you make it the way you want it. It'll be a cool guitar either way.

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                              Those inexpensive Baretta Specials can be fun but as an owner of a 1988 Baretta, they are night and day to each other. All they share is the name. Heck, original Barettas didn't even have mahogany bodies. If I snagged one of those Specials, I'd want to slap a Floyd Rose on it and change out the pickup. Good mod platforms for sure.

Share pics when it's all done. I like the replacement bridge you have. Certainly better than the stock bridge.
                              These new Baretta Specials (2019-2020) are now maple bodies like the Baretta Vintage, no more mahogany.

Comment

Working...
                              X