No announcement yet.

Went to 12s and 13s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I piece together custom sets of daddario singles. They have everything. The only constraint is with flatwounds the only 2 options you have for a 6th string is 52 or 56, so I had to base my balanced set of 12s and 13s around those.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be about the the ages of your new girlfriends.

Comment

What? No!
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I don't even think I've seen a .15 gage high e being sold in a store.
          You've never been given the drawer of single strings in a music store? You're missing out!

My set was put together from single Ernie Ball strings. Actually, I might still have a backup set...probably very corroded from sitting around for 20 years.

I don't remember every string, but I remember most of them:

E – .058
          A – .048
          D – .038
          G – ???
          B – ???
          E – .015
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 12-18-2020, 12:02 PM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post

You've never been given the drawer of single strings in a music store? You're missing out!

My set was put together from single Ernie Ball strings. Actually, I might still have a backup set...probably very corroded from sitting around for 20 years.

I don't remember every string, but I remember most of them:

E – .058
            A – .048
            D – .038
            G – ???
            B – ???
            E – .015
            You sure you didn't grab the E and A from your drawer of bass strings? : P
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Strung up my Tele with a bunch of odd singles I had laying around: 13, 17, 22p, 38, 48, 59. Standard tuning.

Tightened the truss rod about 1/4 turn, did a setup with relatively low action, sounds killer. Played for about half an hour, it’s obviously not as easy to play as the 10-52 set that was on it, but the plain strings sound glorious, as does slide. Now where near as hard to play as one would think.

I’m gonna give it a few weeks and see if I end up dropping to 11s, or stringing my Strat the same way.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                Strung up my Tele with a bunch of odd singles I had laying around: 13, 17, 22p, 38, 48, 59. Standard tuning.

Tightened the truss rod about 1/4 turn, did a setup with relatively low action, sounds killer. Played for about half an hour, it’s obviously not as easy to play as the 10-52 set that was on it, but the plain strings sound glorious, as does slide. Now where near as hard to play as one would think.

I’m gonna give it a few weeks and see if I end up dropping to 11s, or stringing my Strat the same way.
                That's kind of like the set I have on my Fender Tele Custom that I have set up for slide. I have the action very high, but it's set up for slide so that's all right. I did put a Barden bridge and Duncan Jerry Donahue bridge pickup in it for more mids and less treble. Fralin Strat neck pickup. Sounds really good for what I use this guitar for. It's the red one. I keep it in open D (DADF#AD) or open G (DGDGBD).

Click image for larger version  Name:	B1745D54-956E-488F-A687-B9079333E96D-1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	60.8 KB ID:	6040281
                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Working...
                X