Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOGD - Castilla/Kopy Kat Melody Maker

New old guitar day!

Picked up a cool old MIJ Melody Maker yesterday on the local FB Marketplace. Mid 70's best I can tell.

Castilla branded Kopy Kat. It was all original and in pretty good though rather dirty condition.

Gave it a pretty thorough tear down, re-wired, level, crown, polish and it's a pretty fun little guitar. The singles in this thing are really good! Bright but toneful, a little hollow sounding and it's a decent player. 9.5 radius, factory must've made a lot of Fender knockoffs lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	131305010_10217159355447159_1053845395389288676_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.4 KB ID:	6039797Click image for larger version  Name:	131401607_10217160810603537_848997726613106603_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	6039798
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

That is awesome! I have never seen a Melody Maker copy and that thing is a total clone.
    I would love the 9.5 fingerboard.
    Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
      That is awesome! I have never seen a Melody Maker copy and that thing is a total clone.
      I would love the 9.5 fingerboard.
      Enjoy!
      They're out there but not all that common. When these were made Melody Makers probably didn't go for much more than these did new lol
      My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Yeah, I wondered about the economics of copying an inexpensive guitar! That is what makes it neat to me. Bolt on or set neck?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
          Yeah, I wondered about the economics of copying an inexpensive guitar! That is what makes it neat to me. Bolt on or set neck?
          Bolt neck, it's a ply body but everything on it is good. It's finished really nicely, the venner front and back are very nice. Looks like a Gotoh wraptail (in 9.5 no less), Clover tuners which are still pretty decent after all this time, a well cut nut, the gold reflectors are beautifully patina'd. The logo inlay is perfect most Kopy Kat's were unbranded or had a decal logo. The guts were typical MIJ mini pots, box switch and tin jack. I dropped in 500k full size but reused the bridge tone pot so I didn't have to rout anything out to fit. I used the stock caps, the were decent mylar and read pretty close to their markings. I put in a Switchcraft jack and toggle to round it out.

The rosewood board is a little to the thin side but no worse than MIJ Fenders. The frets levelled out and crowned nicely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	131266946_10217160810283529_3338337756566559094_n.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	6039834
          My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

That's cool! That's a punk rock guitar right there.

Comment

It's a little more 70's Aerosmith sounding though lol but definitely the look

4.19k ohm pups, crispy, snappy really sensitive. Sounds great playing Uncle Salty
              My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                That's cool! That's a punk rock guitar right there.
                Probably why I am drawn to it!

Funny you replaced to box switch, Wattage, I installed one (from an Aria I smashed on stage) into my 1977ish Gibson Marauder in the early 1999s and it is still working just fine.

Comment

The switch and the jack were pretty corroded. I had the parts here so just as easy to replace
                  My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Oh, wasn't trying to criticize at all, just amused me that my Gibson has a MIJ switch from a Gibson copy and your MIJ Gibson copy has a Switchcraft.
                    Enjoy that guitar - it is cool!

Comment

I've never heard of this brand. Do you know anything about them?
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

A little they were mostly known for acoustics, C.Bruno house brand. Probably made in the Moridaira factory mid 70’s they were often sold unbranded but with a Kopy Kat sticker on the back of the headstock

Here’a Memphis branded version not sure its the same factory though, appears unlikely

https://reverb.com/item/36188819-mem...ntent=36188819
                        Last edited by Wattage; 12-22-2020, 01:15 PM.
                        My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Nice looking burst. I actually have a cherry sunburst single cut Castilla. They’re so unique and despite their light construction have a great, resonant tone.

I saw your post and had to say hello.

Comment

well this just came back into my life, pretty happy about that
                            My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post

Bolt neck, it's a ply body but everything on it is good. It's finished really nicely, the venner front and back are very nice. Looks like a Gotoh wraptail (in 9.5 no less), Clover tuners which are still pretty decent after all this time, a well cut nut, the gold reflectors are beautifully patina'd. The logo inlay is perfect most Kopy Kat's were unbranded or had a decal logo. The guts were typical MIJ mini pots, box switch and tin jack. I dropped in 500k full size but reused the bridge tone pot so I didn't have to rout anything out to fit. I used the stock caps, the were decent mylar and read pretty close to their markings. I put in a Switchcraft jack and toggle to round it out.

The rosewood board is a little to the thin side but no worse than MIJ Fenders. The frets levelled out and crowned nicely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	131266946_10217160810283529_3338337756566559094_n.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	6039834
                              The back on this one looks strangely inviting

Congrats. Sweet axe!
                              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X