Mint condition relic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mint condition relic?

I'm casually browsing expensive guitars, and have been looking at a lot of Fender CS Heavy Relics. Several ads I've encountered have mentioned the guitars are in mint condition, with "no scratches or dents aside from Fender's relic job."

I'm aware that not everybody likes a brand new beat up guitar, but how in the hell would anybody be able to look at one of the heavy relics, and go, "Hang on... that little ding on the side is from the owner's coffee table!"
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Good point.....however, in some situations, you can see that the woodbine exposed by a ding is fresher looking as opposed to the factory abuse job. Aside from that, I have no idea and to most I don't think it would matter anyway. Maybe they are trying to "market their expensive beater guitar" to sound better than the next factory beater.
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

When buying a guitar, I´d consider relicing and damage (and consequently the devaluation of the guitar) to be one and the same.
      YMMV

Comment

That's why I will toss my Frehley to people and gig it. If it falls over, how would you know? (Actually, you could trace those dings.)

That said - jacked up as it is - th3e thing was set up and plays amazingly. Almost didn't "feel" right it was so trashed but played so well.

So I'll assume that as heavily aged as they are, there should be nothing impeding perfect playing.
        Last edited by Aceman; 12-29-2020, 10:56 AM.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Haha. No giant hacks right in the middle of the frets maybe?
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

I gotta admit I was quite shocked to see that the whole relic craze hadn't become a fad of the past over the last 10 years. I kinda fell out of touch with the electric guitar world about 10 years ago and just got back into it. When I was shopping for a new guitar recently, I was surprised to see that relics are still so prevalent. I mean, I'm sure you can - you can get anything you want, so long as you're willing to pay enough for it - but I was beginning to wonder if you could even buy a vintage spec CS Fender that wasn't relic'd to some degree. I didn't understand the craze then, and I still don't understand it now, as I'm not going to pay someone to finish a guitar and then pay them more to mess it up (not even getting into the cosplay factor of it), but to each their own...

I had recently been thinking, though, will this trend ever give up the ghost?
            DayGlo

Comment

Originally posted by 3'scompany View Post
              I didn't understand the craze then, and I still don't understand it now, as I'm not going to pay someone to finish a guitar and then pay them more to mess it up (not even getting into the cosplay factor of it), but to each their own...
              I don't get it either. I've often joked that if I acquired SRV's original Strat, I'd probably have it refinished.

But JBfromH's point is still funny. Like how can you tell when buttermilk has gone bad?

Comment

I always get a little chuckle when I see an ad for a relic guitar and it says it's "mint" or "like new" condition.
                -
                My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Well, at least you'd be able to see & feel a structural issue, rather than a cosmetic one. Many use relics so they don't have to worry about the scratches. I never thought one way or the other, until I played my Eastman, which uses Antiquites, and has this 'aged' finish and hardware. It isn't dings, though..more like shiny spots and worn spots. But it is great to play on.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just watched a YouTube content provider and reviewer who touched on this subject after selling off some of his gear
                    he seemed to think it should not loose any value on the resale market

But if I was selling high end relics, I would be wining about that as well

I payed $2500 for a beat up guitar
                    It's still a beat up guitar. Looks just like when I bought it
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Sometimes the terminology I see on this board calling guitars a "relic" is misleading. It's relic'd -but it is not a relic -it's a fake relic.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I think the Fender Custom Shop does a pretty good job making Strats and Teles that look like they’ve been played to hell and back for 50 years. I also happen to like Strats and Teles that look like that.

My dad waited until he was 63 to buy the instrument he really wanted. He had a stroke a few years later, then died a few years after that. If I want a naturally worn Custom Shop Fender, I’d need to basically quit my job and play the thing 24/7 for the rest of my life.

Or, I get one that looks the way I want and enjoy it now.

* Not trying to change anyone’s feeling on relic guitars. Just offering a little insight as to why someone would enjoy these abominations.
                        Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 12-29-2020, 05:54 AM.
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Well, in my case, the specific guitar, while relic'd, is an exact reproduction of a very specific guitar....so that's my excuse.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                          X