No announcement yet.

Tele control plates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

counter sink the plate and get flush mount screws man, geez dont ya have a fastenal near by?

something that i always thought was weird... muddy waters old red tele had amp knobs and the knobs didnt touch the switch screw. when they made a reissue of the guitar, the knobs did touch the screw. or would have if the knob was pushed down all the way. were the old knobs different or was the plate?

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think some Tele plates are counter-sunk, and some aren't. Neither mine, nor my customers were.

And my customer was a cheapskate. Spent all his money on the Fralin.

My plate from 920D is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tele_plate.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	6043042

Last edited by ArtieToo; 12-28-2020, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
        That's the old Squier '51 plate!
        It goes back to the original Telecaster bass.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
          Yup. I was looking them up, and they all are listed as Tele bass plates.

Comment

You have shamed me. I am ashamed.

I should have known that. I've seen plenty of Tele basses. But I owned a '51, so that's where my head went.

---------------------------
            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

You have shamed me. I am ashamed.I should have known that. I've seen plenty of Tele basses. But I owned a '51, so that's where my head went.
              Fender has done a pretty good job of re-purposing their parts.

Comment

I find it perverse that a $2,000 guitar has pickups which traditionally were used on poor quality $100 mail order catalog guitars.

Comment

You have shamed me. I am ashamed.

I should have known that. I've seen plenty of Tele basses. But I owned a '51, so that's where my head went.
                  You should feel no shame. I'm pretty sure that's the plate that was then used for the Squier 51. So you were on the mark.

Comment

I find it perverse that a $2,000 guitar has pickups which traditionally were used on poor quality $100 mail order catalog guitars.
                    And they look exactly the GFS's that sell for $40 ea. https://www.guitarfetish.com/KP--GFS-Gold-Foil-Single-Coil-Alnico-Humbucker-Shell-Chrome--Kwikplug™-Ready_p_21930.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	GFS_Gold_Foil.png
Views:	66
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	6043115

Comment

Rutters sells alt Tele control plates: one has the volume knob a bit further from the blade switch, another has the blade switch angled, and a third is drilled for a toggle switch.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Linky? "Rutters" by itself brings up a million sites that aren't guitar related.

Edit: Found it.
                        Last edited by ArtieToo; 12-28-2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

A bit off topic to the thread, but I have a Curtis Novak Gold Foil in the neck of a Tele and it's just about the FURTHEST thing from any of those old things.

Maybe all the ones I tried in 90s were just various degrees of busted. Maybe new ones aren't made the same? Maybe there was one good model in 1967 and the modern ones are all based on that one? I have no idea. But the Novak I have sounds kinda like a flubbier P-90.

Last edited by St_Genesius; 12-28-2020, 05:18 PM.
                          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

Furthest in a good way?

And it isn't off-topic. Anything to do with Tele controls or that guitar is ON topic.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                              Rutters sells alt Tele control plates: one has the volume knob a bit further from the blade switch, another has the blade switch angled, and a third is drilled for a toggle switch.
                              That "angled", with the 3/8" Volume set back, is just about a perfect Tele control plate. A little pricey, but not bad for plug-'n-play. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: As I look around that page, I realize I've been their before. Just forgot.
                              Last edited by ArtieToo; 12-28-2020, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Hmmmmmm.

It is, objectively, a better pickup than the old ones I remember.

The sound I think of with old GFs (not to be confused with the GFS mentioned earlier) is a honky, almost band-limited, low-output squawk. Often with a side of microphonics.

The Novak is much hotter, very full-range (without becoming sterile) and just a hint of honk.

So it's a better pickup (or an ideally executed rendition of a design that was often executed poorly) unless what you want is for it to be a worse pickup... Which I kinda did.

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                                Furthest in a good way?

And it isn't off-topic. Anything to do with Tele controls or that guitar is ON topic.

Comment

Working...
                                X