Fell in love with an Ibanez!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fell in love with an Ibanez!

I wouldn't sell my strat for ALL THE IBANEZ GUITARS on the planet.
    Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Originally posted by strat_master
      I wouldn't sell my strat for ALL THE IBANEZ GUITARS on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Calx
        Never thought I'd say this but.... I think I wanna sell my strat for an RG. But not just any RG, it was as if god himself had shone down upon this particular guitar (which, arbitrarily I'm assuming, just happened to be a low-end Ibanez), making its satiny, oiled mahogany finish glare hazily.

It played so... so easily! And it was hardtailed, just like I like em, and MAHOGANY!, it sounded pretty sweet, even unplugged (though a new set of p'ups would definatly be in order) and... it was really cheap.

Can anyone think of any reason that I shouldn't sell the old fagocaster and pick this RG up? Is there some kinda dark secret about lower end Ibanezes (like herpes, or something) that I'll find out a few months down the road and regret ever setting eyes on it?

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG321MH
        Blue,

I was browsing the Ibanez site the other day and saw that RG model for the first time. It does look nice and for the price a pickup upgrade would be rather affordable!

oiled mahogany

You test it and we will await your findings.

Jon
        Tradition S-20, Tradition G-10, Jackson DKMG, Ibanez SRX 505 Bass, Laney MXD 120H head, Peavey 4x12 cab, Fender 4x12 cab, Boss GS-10, M-Audio Black Box, Boss Metal Zone, Boss DS-1, Boss SD-1, Boss CH-1, MXR Dyna Comp, MXR Zakk Wylde, MXR EVH Phase 90, MXR Double Shot Distortion, ProCo Rat, Other Boss stuff.

SD pickups tried or still in use: JB, Zebra C5, Zebra Jazz, JB Jr., Distortion, Lil '59, Invader, Live Wire Metal, and Custom.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodswords
          bro, if it's within your means, do keep your strat, especially if it sports the 3XSC pickup combo. i'm an ibanez fan myself but IMO the ibanez can't pull off a strat-type single coil tone well, especially when you acquire that 321 which is dual humbucking... unless you have other guitars in your arsenal which can adequately cover strat-tyoe tones.

the RG321 sports default humbuckers which are IMO midrange inclined. i'd suggest you audition one other ibanez which has Dimarzio/ Dimarzio-Ibz pickups in it for comparison. if you like these default humbuckers, then maybe they are your thing.

glad to know that there are people out there who appreciate guitars based on its merits, rather than dismissing it for its far eastern origin...
          the main reason most people will dismiss far eastern origin guitars isnt because of their quality but the actual fact that people are paid next to nothing slaving away making these things, although there treated not near as bad as those poor souls working for nike and those footwear companies in the east there still being taken advantage of..
          if it werent for this fact there would be alot more people prasing korean indian and eastern made guitars..
          There are a good few people on this board that have very strong opinions towards this and also know more about what is happening..

But still, ive played the Jackson MG series recently and they are excellent guitars, so the quality thats coming our of the east isn't poor only the workers that made them..
          Marshall JVM 410C
          Mesa Boogie DC-3
          ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
          1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
          2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
          2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
          1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
          2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
          1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Sam ash wanted $270 for the RG. I would like to get about $500 for the strat, considering I bought it for $450, upgraded the p'ups and pickguard, rewired it and such. That would leave some $$ for new p'ups, a strap, AND lunch on the way home!

as far as strat tones are concerned... I've already metal-fied it (JB neck/Dime bridge)
            So I'd not be missing out on any spank or chime that I'd eventually gain back next time an extra wad of cash came my way (yeah freaking right!)

I think I may go for the RG. The main thing that's steered me away from ibanez in the past has been the basswood bodies, but this of course changes everything.

I was thinking a DD bridge with a...hmmmm, maybe a JB in the neck again - i really liked it there! Either that or an active EMG set, though I'm not sure if I wanna do that, as I've heard that it completely paves over any character the guitar's wood may have.
            Last edited by Blue Calx; 05-20-2004, 10:53 PM.

Comment

this is what's got me scared "Maple material neck"? does that mean its made out of maple paritcle board or somethin'?
              This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I have an ibanez rg570 with duncans and sound awesome, itīs a very comfortable guitar.

Comment

the mahagony RG321 is hands down my next purchase. there is no way it is staying stock though...a JB bridge, jazz neck and some locking planet waves tuners will be ordered with it and it should then be a killer guitar. I'm just happy ibanez made a hardtail mahagony bodied RG...it's about time they made something without a cheap floyd copy and basswood body IMO.

-Mike
                  Last edited by XSSIVE; 05-24-2004, 08:49 PM.
                  www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Working...
                  X